• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Anyone else like their Cascades porro? (1 Viewer)

Coin Hound

I picked these up a while ago and have been using them these last few days--I really enjoy them.

I sent these back to Leupold for a check-up. They were returned with no issues.

Very sharp--very bright--a joy to use. Just today I really gained a new appreciation for these--a design that never caught on--the internal focus porro.

Minox and Opticron sold these back in the day too. I am pretty sure they were the same design with a diffferent name.

Anyone else have/use these?

ceasar

Hi Coin Hound:

I have owned a 7x42 Leupold BX-2 Cascade Porro Prism binocular for nearly 10 years! I purchased it from Eagle Optics for $299.99 and IMO that price was a real bargain! It performs above its price!

It weighs 22 Oz and has ER of 18mm. FOV is 388.5' @1000 yards.

As you note, it is bright, sharp and a real pleasure to use! I've used it mostly as a Car binocular over the years and have never had a complaint about it! :t:

Bob

Patudo

Thanks for making me aware of this very interesting design. I tried the Opticron HR WP 8x42 which is supposed to have a similar pedigree a couple years back, and apart from the very confined FOV, thought it had much to recommend it, especially for the price. I would have gladly accepted more bulk if FOV could have been increased to say 130m.

I wonder if ED glass is as desirable for internally focusing porros as for roof prism binoculars?

Charnwood

United Kingdom
I bought an ex demo pair of the Opticron HR WP 8x42s a month or so ago (I think Opticron stopped selling them in early 2019). I like them a lot - bright, sharp, good depth of field, plenty of eye relief and nice to handle. I have no top ranking binoculars to compare them with but they give a much nicer view (to my eyes) than the £250 roof prism binoculars I was using previously. I think part of it is down to the more 3D image they seem to give. Their weak points for me are focus speed and close range view (below 5-10yds).

I'm now hoping I can find a nearly new pair of the 10X42 version to add to my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread