• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone from Cairns on the forum? (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

Birds spotted in the Cairns area in Australia.

Picture #1 ID as a Brown Honey Eater

Picture #2 was ID as a Brown Honey eater as well. But now I see the yellow gape and I think I made a mistake with this bird.

Anyone that can ID the bird on Picture #3+4? I have failed to ID this bird.

Kind regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

Attachments

• 325.jpg
    325.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 324.jpg
    324.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 319.jpg
    319.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 318.jpg
    318.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 46
Larry is right, Brown Honeyeater and Lemon-bellied Flycatcher, nice shots too.
I'm now from Topaz on the Atherton Tablelands and usually respond to N Australia queries.

Thank you all! Very appreciated!

I ID both pic #1+2 as Brown Honeyeaters, but after looking at the both pictures I discovered that the bird in pic#2 had a yellow gape and was missing the yellow patch behind the eye.

I would never had been able to ID the flycatcher, thanks!

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Larry is right, Brown Honeyeater and Lemon-bellied Flycatcher, nice shots too.
I'm now from Topaz on the Atherton Tablelands and usually respond to N Australia queries.

Tablelands, a gorgeous area. Never got to see the Cassowary, the most dangerous bird in the world. But I got to see the warning signs along the road in the area

Cheers
Aladdin

Attachments

• 364.jpg
    364.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 18
Got a male with 2 chicks at our new place, in our Danggaja Reserve, but hard to see here. Black Mountain Road at Kuranda remains good, also Etty Bay near innisfail. Not dangerous unless attacked or provoked......

I had a race around the Tablelands with Chowchilla a few years back - we missed Cassowary too! It was otherwise a very productive day.

Got a male with 2 chicks at our new place, in our Danggaja Reserve, but hard to see here. Black Mountain Road at Kuranda remains good, also Etty Bay near innisfail. Not dangerous unless attacked or provoked......

Cheers!

I was told that they are not dangerous, only at breeding because the female is very jelous. She kick and kill you with the long claw in here middle toe.

I stayed at Mareeba Wetland for a few days, in a tent on a platform and it was nice to have the kangaroo running under the platform chasing each other when they wanted to have babies.

When I opened to door to scold the rascals you could only see their heads sticking out from behind the trees looking at me.

Kind regards
Aladdin

I had a race around the Tablelands with Chowchilla a few years back - we missed Cassowary too! It was otherwise a very productive day.

Cheers!

Yes, I am not from Australia so every bird I saw was a new one for me. I will hopefully soon be back and I hope to see a Cassowary (But I will stay in the car)

Cheers
Aladdin

The #2 Brown Honeyeater is a young one - hence yellow gape

Good to see everyone using Yellow-bellied Flycatcher not the stoopid new name 'Flyrobin' ;)

The #2 Brown Honeyeater is a young one - hence yellow gape

Good to see everyone using Yellow-bellied Flycatcher not the stoopid new name 'Flyrobin' ;)

Thank you!

I checked the bird and it is now refered to as lemon-bellied flyrobin or lemon-bellied flycatcher.

I can not remember ever hearing the name flyrobin before and you are right, flycatcher sounds better

Kind regards
Aladdin

Thank you!

I checked the bird and it is now refered to as lemon-bellied flyrobin or lemon-bellied flycatcher.

I can not remember ever hearing the name flyrobin before and you are right, flycatcher sounds better

Kind regards
Aladdin

The yellow bit was my mistake, sorry. It's yellow-bellied in latin! |:$|

But yes, I was trying to make the point about flycatcher / flyrobin.

Taxonomically they are part of the Australasian robins, but I would have preferred they change from 'flycatcher' to a robin english name. Flyrobin is just weird.

Cheers!

I was told that they are not dangerous, only at breeding because the female is very jelous. She kick and kill you with the long claw in here middle toe.

I stayed at Mareeba Wetland for a few days, in a tent on a platform and it was nice to have the kangaroo running under the platform chasing each other when they wanted to have babies.

When I opened to door to scold the rascals you could only see their heads sticking out from behind the trees looking at me.

Kind regards
Aladdin

Actually it's the male Cassowary who does the brooding and chick rearing, and they are best not approached when they have tiny young as they can get defensive. We used to manage our male at Cassowary House very carefully and make sure guests kept the requisite distance. One year an American fell over and nearly landed on a chick, causing the male to rush over and great consternation in the group who claimed they were being attacked, when all he was doing was checking things were safe with no further threat. No kicking involved, they jump up and rake down with the inner claw when serious.
Sadly Mareeba Wetlands is closed and has been for some time, with the covid situation not helping. Pity, there are quite a few local travellers keen for something to do whilst our state stays with borders shut, but international tourism is devastated and recovery will be long and uncertain. I sure hope we can get overseas visitors again ere too much longer, you will be very welcome.

The yellow bit was my mistake, sorry. It's yellow-bellied in latin! |:$|

But yes, I was trying to make the point about flycatcher / flyrobin.

Taxonomically they are part of the Australasian robins, but I would have preferred they change from 'flycatcher' to a robin english name. Flyrobin is just weird.

Cheers!

I agree with you! Flycatcher or just "ROBIN"

Kind regards
Aladdin

Actually it's the male Cassowary who does the brooding and chick rearing, and they are best not approached when they have tiny young as they can get defensive. We used to manage our male at Cassowary House very carefully and make sure guests kept the requisite distance. One year an American fell over and nearly landed on a chick, causing the male to rush over and great consternation in the group who claimed they were being attacked, when all he was doing was checking things were safe with no further threat. No kicking involved, they jump up and rake down with the inner claw when serious.
Sadly Mareeba Wetlands is closed and has been for some time, with the covid situation not helping. Pity, there are quite a few local travellers keen for something to do whilst our state stays with borders shut, but international tourism is devastated and recovery will be long and uncertain. I sure hope we can get overseas visitors again ere too much longer, you will be very welcome.

Cheers!

Mareeba was excellent and the EMU coming in to my tent looking around for food. They say they are not dangerous but they look like they can bit of your finger.

I looked at internet and I got under the impression that they had changed name and owner. Nothing about living in their tents anymore

Hope they open again

Kind regards
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back