• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using a Z6ii for birds in November 2021? (1 Viewer)

stoop

Japan
Hi all, I'm thinking now of getting a Z6ii to pair with my Nikkor 500 PF. I have been using a D500 and a Df. -Mostly the D500 for birds but I have been wanting an FX body. I was going to get a D850, but then thought about a Z7ii, and now with the Z9 in the wind, I'm thing of a Z6ii. I see Moose Peterson recommends them for birding. I'd like to hear current opinions/ experience before I make the plunge. Thank you!

I don't have any experience of the camera, but here is a link to a couple of YouTube videos by someone who had a D850, bought a Z6ii, and subsequently went back to his D850 for his bird photography.

Part One:

Part Two:

Hope you find them helpful.

Malcolm

I don't have any experience of the camera, but here is a link to a couple of YouTube videos by someone who had a D850, bought a Z6ii, and subsequently went back to his D850 for his bird photography.

Part One:

Part Two:

Hope you find them helpful.

Malcolm
Thank you, Malcom!

Actually, I see Moose Peterson recommending the Z6ii with Nikkor 500 Pf for birds on Youtube too. In his kit 5 months ago, he had D6s and Z6iis. Obviously speed and low light performance is more important to him than resolution such as a D850 or Z7ii.

Actually, I see Moose Peterson recommending the Z6ii with Nikkor 500 Pf for birds on Youtube too. In his kit 5 months ago, he had D6s and Z6iis. Obviously speed and low light performance is more important to him than resolution such as a D850 or Z7ii.
Hi, my main challenge is photographing night birds in flight. If Moose photographed flying birds at night I strongly suspect he would not be recommending the Z6ii/500PF combo which I have.
I have had success using D7000, and D750 bodies with nikkor 70-300 AFS, 80-200 f2.8 screwdrive and nikkor 300 f4 AFS on owls and nightjars in Australia.
I sold my D750 to purchase a Z6ii which I love for static night photography and everything in daylight but it just cannot focus on flying subjects at night, which for me was very disappointing. Consequently, I am the new owner of a D850 which I hope will outperform all my cameras do date.
My night photographs of various owls in flight can be found here:
Www.owlphotographer.com

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back