• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Anza Borrego/Julian Birding (1 Viewer)

Killdeer_Chick

Ka-yute!
Hi! I'm new here and new to birding. I frequent the Anza Borrego, Ranchita, Warner Springs and Julian area a lot and want to try looking out for birds around there on my frequent visits. So far, most of the bird counts I've seen for those areas are in the towns. In the desert, this can mean that birds that are normally not desert dwellers (like killdeer) can be seen on the local golf courses or near artificial water sources.

I know it's hot now, but I still go out there in the summer and I do see birds out in the wilderness year round.

Other than quail, egrets, roadrunners, hawks and eagles, which I've already seen and identified, what other birds are common in these areas? Can you post photos so that I know what to look out for? What are some fun birds to watch? Where are the good, natural birding spots?

Killdeer_Chick

Ka-yute!
Black-Throated Sparrow

Hi again! I found some birds worth checking out. Most were hard to catch with my camera, but I did get a couple of photos of Black-throated sparrows, which I hear are pretty common. They have a nice song, too. Also, they like the hot weather, so they are good to search for year-round.

I don't know how to put photos in my thread, but here's a link to a photo of this bird:
Black-Throated Sparrow

DavidP

I'd recommend getting the Schram "A birders guide to southern California" I know there is a section on Anza Borrego in there. One area thats good especially in migration time is as you come into the park from Julian direction theres a campground and a spring and it acts as a migrant trap in the spring and many unusual birds have been recorded there in the past. Can't remember the name I'm afraid (Mesquite springs?) Also use http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SDBIRDS/ they will have some good answers for birds in that area.
Lovely area but can't hack the heat in mid summer I'm afraid

Users who are viewing this thread