• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOS community forum on English Bird Names (1 Viewer)

The scientific method has been thrown out the window. Instead of trying to find problems in one's hypothesis or theory, many scientists cherry-pick the evidence that fits their theory and hide what disagrees. Those who try to point out conflicting evidence are called anti-science and are ridiculed and even silenced.
Cancel Culture in Science – CEH I'm now waiting for the religious tirade of atheistic dogma about to descend in response to this article.
You have just linked to a creationist website, which basically takes any credibility you might have about anything dealing with science and tosses it in the dumpster. After which the dumpster is then set on fire and whatever contents are left are then dropped into the Mariana Trench.

Seriously, creationists complaining about scientists cherry-picking data has to be one of the most ironic statements I have read on the forum.

You have just linked to a creationist website, which basically takes any credibility you might have about anything dealing with science and tosses it in the dumpster. After which the dumpster is then set on fire and whatever contents are left are then dropped into the Mariana Trench.
You just proved my point perfectly, thank you. You're as bad as Bill Nye, who calls P.h. D. scientists "incompetent". I could provide mountains of evidence for intelligent design, but as I said it won't make any difference. I'll leave you with a quote from Arthur Keith: "Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Seriously, creationists complaining about scientists cherry-picking data has to be one of the most ironic statements I have read on the forum.
I would ask for an example, but as Mono said, this isn't the place. If you want to discuss it further, I will be happy to on Ruffled Feathers

You just proved my point perfectly, thank you. You're as bad as Bill Nye, who calls P.h. D. scientists "incompetent". I could provide mountains of evidence for intelligent design, but as I said it won't make any difference. I'll leave you with a quote from Arthur Keith: "Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."

I would ask for an example, but as Mono said, this isn't the place. If you want to discuss it further, I will be happy to on Ruffled Feathers
Anyone with 'mountains of evidence for intelligent design' would be happy, nay would be enthusiastic, about providing the vast array (Well, if you've got mountains) of citations of scientific papers published in peer-reviewed and reputable journals by scientists from the hundreds of scientific institutions and over a thousand universities worldwide in at least 100 different languages...

It would make a huge difference... I look forward to examining this (long-hidden?) treasure trove!
MJB

I'll leave you with a quote from Arthur Keith: "Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Arthur Keith isn't a great person to cite, given that he was a strong supporter of the Piltdown Man, and someone who may in fact been responsible for the hoax. Not to mention he was a strong supporter of segregation, believing that offspring of different races were genetically inferior than there parents (speaking of folks you maybe don't want to name critters after).

Anyway I will leave it there as this is going far afield from the thread.

Wow, this thread took an entertaining direction :)

Creationism is laughably stupid and trying to anyhow associate it with science is personally offending to me as a scientist.

Once again thanks for proving my point. And btw I didn't bring up creationism.

You know, you come here, act all superior - and then you start spewing allegations against science and then it turns out that those allegations are based upon the "problem" that said science refuses to accept your absurd made up fairy tales?

You definitely did bring up creationism, because when asked when does your ranting about the decay of the scientific method comes from, you posted a link to a bullshit creationist website, to an article that complains that people pushing this bullshit are being "cancelled". Saying you did not bring it up is a straight up lie.

Creationists demanding to be taken seriously are like a child coming to the town hall and throwing a temper tantrum because nobody wants to build a giant cotton candy maker instead of a sewage treatment plant.

Start a thread in ruffled feathers if you want to talk about off topic subjects please.

thanks
Sorry, I will shut up now. I tried earlier, but couldn't contain myself lol
I guess this goes to show how quickly threads can go off topic, I will try to contain myself in the future

Last edited:
Is there any need to be so offensive Opisska? I don't personally believe in the ideas of creationists either, but this forum is not the place call it 'laughably stupid' and to term their website 'creationist bullshit'.

Jameson (Jameson's Antpecker, Jameson's Wattle-eye, Jameson's Firefinch) has been the worst individual I have come across to have some birds named after him.

"However, the incident of 11 May 1888 is recorded in Jameson’s own journal, so it seems likely that at least something along its utterly horrifying lines took place. Europeans of the day were obsessed with reports of cannibalism. There was a general sense among many in the period that cannibalism was widely practiced in Africa, reinforced by sensational stories of dubious veracity. These reports were often used as a rationale for colonization– who, after all, could argue with European expansion if it was in the name of stopping a practice that claimed untold innocent lives? Explorers often as not bought into these beliefs, and so frequently brought up the topic in their travels.

It is likely in this context that Jameson, totally convinced that the local people were cannibals, offered a leader of the group six handkerchiefs in exchange for them killing and consuming a ten year old girl purchased for that purpose. The passage in which he describes this event in his journal is incredibly repugnant, both for its violence and its intense racism– the n-word is used repeatedly as Jameson echoes every racist trope about “darkest Africa”. He expresses his horror at this scene repeatedly…but also admitted later that he in part initiated the whole awful sequence of events so that he could sketch it."

Buying a child and then paying OTHER human beings to eat that child so you can make sketches (which you can find online if you are curious) makes Townsend and Audubon seem like Mother Teresa.

Last edited:
Jameson (Jameson's Antpecker, Jameson's Wattle-eye, Jameson's Firefinch) has been the worst individual I have come across to have some birds named after him.

"However, the incident of 11 May 1888 is recorded in Jameson’s own journal, so it seems likely that at least something along its utterly horrifying lines took place. Europeans of the day were obsessed with reports of cannibalism. There was a general sense among many in the period that cannibalism was widely practiced in Africa, reinforced by sensational stories of dubious veracity. These reports were often used as a rationale for colonization– who, after all, could argue with European expansion if it was in the name of stopping a practice that claimed untold innocent lives? Explorers often as not bought into these beliefs, and so frequently brought up the topic in their travels.

It is likely in this context that Jameson, totally convinced that the local people were cannibals, offered a leader of the group six handkerchiefs in exchange for them killing and consuming a ten year old girl purchased for that purpose. The passage in which he describes this event in his journal is incredibly repugnant, both for its violence and its intense racism– the n-word is used repeatedly as Jameson echoes every racist trope about “darkest Africa”. He expresses his horror at this scene repeatedly…but also admitted later that he in part initiated the whole awful sequence of events so that he could sketch it."

Buying a child and then paying OTHER human beings to eat that child so you can make sketches (which you can find online if you are curious) makes Townsend and Audubon seem like Mother Teresa.
He is truly evil and these birds shouldn't be saddled with his name.

To be clear, the n-word was the common word used for black people in that day (just read Mark Twain), and wasn't necessarily racist of itself. However, today it is racist and should never be used. I'm not defending Jameson for any of his actions, just pointing out that the n-word wasn't particularly racist

He is truly evil and these birds shouldn't be saddled with his name.

To be clear, the n-word was the common word used for black people in that day (just read Mark Twain), and wasn't necessarily racist of itself. However, today it is racist and should never be used. I'm not defending Jameson for any of his actions, just pointing out that the n-word wasn't particularly racist
Yeah...I think I implied it isn't the use of the n-word, as much as the whole "child murder and cannibalism" thing

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back