• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC Proposals 2021 (1 Viewer)

Re 'Proposal 2021-C-5: Treat Eurasian Blackbird Turdus merula as four species', presumably tibetanus, simillimus & mandarinus would attain full species status? Are the allotted subspecies specified?
MJB

Common BlackbirdTurdus merulamerula/azorensis/cabrerae/mauritanicus/aterrimus/syriacus/intermedius
Chinese BlackbirdTurdus mandarinussowerbyi/mandarinusChinese Blackbird T. mandarinus including sowerbyi, but not intermedius, is split from Common/Eurasian Blackbird (Rasmussen & Anderton 2005; Collar 2005; Robson 2008; Nylander et al. 2008; H&M 4).
Tibetan BlackbirdTurdus maximusTurdus maximus is split from T. merula (Rasmussen & Anderton 2005; Collar 2005; Nylander et al. 2008).
Indian BlackbirdTurdus simillimusnigropileus/simillimus/bourdilloni/kinnisiiTurdus simillimus is split from T. merula (Rasmussen & Anderton 2005; Collar 2005; Nylander et al. 2008).

This is from IOC - Looks like a catching up proposal

I don't think there's a tibetanus?

Common BlackbirdTurdus merulamerula/azorensis/cabrerae/mauritanicus/aterrimus/syriacus/intermedius
Chinese BlackbirdTurdus mandarinussowerbyi/mandarinusChinese Blackbird T. mandarinus including sowerbyi, but not intermedius, is split from Common/Eurasian Blackbird (Rasmussen & Anderton 2005; Collar 2005; Robson 2008; Nylander et al. 2008; H&M 4).
Tibetan BlackbirdTurdus maximusTurdus maximus is split from T. merula (Rasmussen & Anderton 2005; Collar 2005; Nylander et al. 2008).
Indian BlackbirdTurdus simillimusnigropileus/simillimus/bourdilloni/kinnisiiTurdus simillimus is split from T. merula (Rasmussen & Anderton 2005; Collar 2005; Nylander et al. 2008).

This is from IOC - Looks like a catching up proposal

I don't think there's a tibetanus?
Tibetan is maximus

How do they know it was not a falconry bird flown by its owner? Legs are not clearly visible. This would explain why such a huge bird appeared and disappeared again without trace.
Falconers in the US use native species almost exclusively, and there are records of every bird kept by all falconers anyway.
There is a Steller's Sea Eagle at the Fort Worth Texas Zoo.
https://zooinstitutes.com/animals/black-sea-eagle-826/ .
At a big name AZA zoo like that, a bird of prey escapes would have made the news. I'm not sure they still have the bird, anyway, that photo is from 2016. I think there is no way that this sea eagle, if real, was anything but a natural vagrant.

Last edited:
2021-C-15 Add Common Wood-Pigeon Columba palumbus to the Main List.
Pyle et al. (2020) mentioned a May 1935 record by Alan Brooks off Newfoundland on board a ship crossing the Atlantic in a westerly direction (Gosselin 1992). The position of the ship when the bird was recorded is not known. "...tomorrow at noon we will be within sight of Cape Race."
https://collections.mun.ca/digital/collection/osprey/id/4435 .

Last edited:
2021-A-3: Split Mew Gull Larus canus brachyrhynchus and rename as Short-billed Gull
(Speaking of Mew Gulls, it might be a good
time to get used to the idea of calling it a Short-billed Gull, as there
may be a future split of Old World vs. New World Mew Gulls, in which
case our bird would likely be renamed Short-billed Gull, its original name.)

--Paul Lehman, San Diego
May 13 SDbirding
"I have heard a rumor on the grapevine that AOS accepted the Short-billed Gull/Common Gull split."

Mysticete

Going to make a Newfoundland winter trip just that more enticing, given that Common Gull is a wintering bird most winters IIRC.

I think Mew Gull is a lovely name and it would be a shame to lose it. I prefer Mew Gull for the Nearctic birds and Common Gull for the Palaearctic birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back