• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC Proposals 2022 (1 Viewer)

Is there a justification for writing 'grasslands' in the plural ?
I was being jokey... but one could well make the case that within the range of auropectoralis alone the highland dry grassland and low coastal plain grassland represent different types of grassland habitat, and there may be others I'm not familiar with. And then you can contrast that with the true Chihuahuan semi-desert habitat and then the pastureland that ssp. lilianae is commonly found in.

Where is the update this year? We already know one of the splits that's happening, so clearly there has already been some voting. We got last year's update in June, and it is now nearly August and we have no 2022 update. At this rate it seems we may get the Clements update before the AOS update.

There is a tweet from today from the AOS, in response to folks wondering when the update would be. This is the response.

"Hopefully soon! The volunteer who generally gets them uploaded is having a busy summer. Thank you for your patience, and keep checking back!"

But yeah, I have been checking religiously, as I am currently making some taxonomic tweaks to me own checklist and would like to have that update in hand to incorporate changes. Also, I believe IOC is waiting on NACC as well. I suspect the updates would be a lot easier if they did the SACC method of just posting as decisions are made or the system IOC makes, where they just change the checklist and makes notes in the update tables.

The ABA website has a summary of the latest AOS checklist report: https://www.aba.org/aos-supplement-...93pnmCcChKRjAJ-ZO9wnvusqXBq3ZQhV3nC3yw8zWbwIY

Nothing too unexpected I guess, but I cannot for the life of me understand why the bird universally known as Siberian Stonechat gets the English name "Asian Stonechat" instead (unless this is in anticipation of Stejneger's getting further split in the future)?

EDIT: Looking at the summary of proposals that didn't pass, there are actually quite a few surprises for me. I'm disappointed Short-billed Gull wasn't changed back to Mew Gull, and a few splits that I thought were shoo-ins (House Wren, Elegant Trogon, Whimbrel) did not pass. It will be interesting to read the comments once they are published

Last edited:
Why on Earth did they go with Chihuahuan Meadowlark? I thought the justification for not using Lilian's was that the Chihuahuan was getting lumped in too, so they didn't want to use either name. I'm disappointed with this but it could have been much worse. Also, keeping Eastern Meadowlark feels like it might turn into a Winter/Pacific Wren moment here.

I'm also very disappointed that Short-billed Gull was not changed to Mew Gull. If any proposal this year was to pass I was hoping it would be this one. And no House Wren splits?

Can anyone find the actual supplement? There is not a link to in the ABA update, nor do I see any updates on the relevant NACC pages.

House Wrens not getting split is just plain dumb.

I don't mind the name Chihuahuan Meadowlark...there could be worst names. Was already kind of sold on the Mew Gull name.

The Asian Stonechat thing is weird, and the only thing I can think of is to preserve the name "Siberian" for if Siberian and Amur/Stejneger's are split down the line?

Curious on what IOC and the new checklist is going to do in response to this stuff. Looking forward to also seeing how the actual votes break down.

I don't mind the name Chihuahuan Meadowlark...there could be worst names. Was already kind of sold on the Mew Gull name.

The Asian Stonechat thing is weird, and the only thing I can think of is to preserve the name "Siberian" for if Siberian and Amur/Stejneger's are split down the line?

Curious on what IOC and the new checklist is going to do in response to this stuff. Looking forward to also seeing how the actual votes break down.
It's possible that stejnegeri may be closely related to przewalskii in which case this species would take name S. przewalskii on priority grounds.
MJB

To my mind there were much better names in the running for the meadowlark, but they were not popular it seems.

Agree with the part of being curious about the arguments.
Niels

eBird might stick with the Siberian name, just like how they had (have?) a common name that differs from the AOU (one of the honey-buzzard species).

There's a fair number of differences between Clements/eBird and NACC for species in and about the NACC area. For example I just stumbled over NACC's "Tawny-throated Leaftosser" for Sclerurus mexicanus, which Clements/eBird splits into "Middle American Leaftosser" and "South American Leaftosser". I don't have a complete list but it wouldn't take long to generate it.

However, many of those differences involve species which are peripheral to the NACC area. Example: Fork-tailed Swift. This species is found casually in far western Alaska.

Some time ago, Clements/eBird split the species into four species. But NACC declined the proposal to make that split. Makes sense, really, because there likely isn't much evidence as to which of the four new species are flying past remote islands occasionally.

However, many of those differences involve species which are peripheral to the NACC area. Example: Fork-tailed Swift. This species is found casually in far western Alaska.

Some time ago, Clements/eBird split the species into four species. But NACC declined the proposal to make that split. Makes sense, really, because there likely isn't much evidence as to which of the four new species are flying past remote islands occasionally.
Not splitting it should not be based on ability to ID.

From my perspective, I hope that IOC/WGAC has more influence going forward and clements/eBird are not full of the inconsistencies…

If that is the case then why not explain it. As it is, they simply look deliberately obtuse: why not go with what every other country (where it occurs) has called it for years and then if changes come along amend it then - as everyone else will.

Experts, hey...

Brian

If that is the case then why not explain it. As it is, they simply look deliberately obtuse: why not go with what every other country (where it occurs) has called it for years and then if changes come along amend it then - as everyone else will.

Experts, hey...

Brian

From the committee that gave us Short-billed Gull.

I am no longer the least surprised by NACC decisions but it is interesting to see them.

Shame Spot-crowned Woodcreeper, Whimbrel, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and Elegant Trogon were not passed. The non-passing of House Wren doesn’t surprise at all, though I should think/hope that many of the members can recognize how obviously different they are. shrug

I do wish names and votes were published along with the comments… quite anachronistic how it functions in comparison with SACC even.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back