• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC Proposals 2023 (1 Viewer)

2023-C-8 N&MA Classification Committee p. 605 Treat Pipilo socorroensis as a separate species from Spotted Towhee P. maculatus

P. socorroensis is very tame very small the voice is similar but weaker (Grayson) the young look different from mainland. (McGregor) Their smallness and isolation makes them their own species. (Ridgway)

Ridgway states carmani may be at once distinguished by its small size.

And its position is as a species because of how isolated it is. Ridgway was a bad ass.

Page 408.

Biologia Centrali-americana .

Robert Ridgway – From Protégé to a Leading Ornithologist .

A young bird of P. carmani was described in 1894. I placed the written description into my new GPT-4 AI bot and uploaded the picture online. It is very different from the towhees from the mainland.

https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v015n03/p0264-p0265.pdf .

Children S Drawing Bird On A Tree Stock Illustration - Illustration of singing, green: 59200926 .

A 2021 paper about a Socorro island hummingbird naming it a full species says: "The destruction of native habitat, the introduction of exotic species, and reduced population sizes increase the vulnerability of birds on the Pacific Islands of Mexico" So conservation help may be a reason to make island birds species.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...bird_complex_Amazilia_rutila_Aves_Trochilidae .

Of course more and better DNA would be nice but just saying no because it is the NACC is not working anymore.

A new (and probably final?) batch of proposals are up

I have to head to bed soon for early morning birding, but much of this proposal batch is range extensions for introduced species and new vagrant records, but of note are proposals to lump Cordilleran and Pacific-slope Flycatcher as Western Flycatcher and split White Tern. The latter is a recommendation to fail, so presumably is unlikely to happen. Rumor is that the Western Flycatcher lump however has already passed. While I agree with that lump...ouch. I think this is the first time since IOC lumped back together the Great Egret that my lifelist has gone down from a lump, and there are no new splits that would counteract the change in recompense :(

Also of note is a proposal for new common names for various new splits, which pretty much telegraphs what earlier proposals passed, like splitting up the Antillean Euphonia and so forth. I believe, with the exception of the Goshawk, all of these splits are splits that were under debate as part of the WGAC checklist reconciliation process

Doesn't appear likely that the Steller's Jay situation will be looked at this year, although I saw predictions it would be. So perhaps that will be decided next year.

2023-D-1 Bat Falcon. The Texas Bird Record Committee has published online its 2022 annual report.

TBRC - 2022 Annual Report .

They accepted the Bat Falcon. Annual reports of the committee’s activities appear in the Bulletin of the Texas Ornithological Society. The Bulletin containing this 2022 report has not physically been published. But rest assured the NACC is not bigfooting (Gigantopithecus) the state committee.

Still going through these, but this was always going to happen. Most of the splits I have seen so far in Proposal A are from HBW/Birdlife International, which is the most liberal of the four major bird checklists. Any sort of reconciliation process would probably end up rejecting a lot of their splits, just like with the last ebird update we saw a lot of splits in the Clements checklist, one of the most conservative lists. If they are hitting a middle ground between those two that is probably a good thing.
Totally agree,
field guide taxonomy at work.

2023-D-11 N&MA Classification Committee p. 573 Establish English names for the newly split Chlorothraupis carmioli and C. frenata
In this proposal is a hyperlink to "a lengthy series of posts on Bird Forum." That has to be a first! Congrats to all the Bird Name Etymology Stalwarts Martin, Bjorn Paul, James and posts from a family member! Bird Forum at its best.

IOC has added the White-backed/Black-necked Stilt to the proposed lump list, but hasn't accepted the lump yet. So I guess take that as you will?

2023-D-10 N&MA Classification Committee p. 207 Treat Gygis microrhyncha as a separate species from White Tern G. alba

https://americanornithology.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/2023-D.pdf .

“The taxonomy of the Gygis terns is complex, and recent studies have only added to the complexity.”

I cannot help with the proposal (especially about microrhyncha ) except provide links to literature of this genus.

First Latin name and picture Sparrman 1786:

fasc.1 (1786) - Museum Carlsonianum, in quo novas et selectas aves, coloribus ad vivum brevique descriptione illustratas, suasu et sumtibus generosissimi possessoris - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

fasc.1 (1786) - Museum Carlsonianum, in quo novas et selectas aves, coloribus ad vivum brevique descriptione illustratas, suasu et sumtibus generosissimi possessoris - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

East Indies, Cape of Good Hope and islands of the Pacific seas.

Here is Type Specimen collected in New Zealand?

NRM 569927 - Naturhistoriska riksmuseet .

I think New Zealand is correct. Sparrman was asked to join James Cook on his second circumnavigation of the earth (1772-1775). His work involved helping with research and mapping the Southern Ocean, New Zealand, Oceania and the South American coast. They visited; New Zealand, French Polynesia, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Easter Islands, Marquesas Islands and Argentina. (Sparrman was employed as a paid botanical assistant to the naturalists, Johann Reinhold Forster and his son Georg Forster on the ship Resolution).

James Cook’s ships sailed from the Cape 22 November 1772 where he picked up Sparrman and was back in the Cape 22 March 1775 when he dropped Sparrman off.

JR Forster fought with Cook and everyone else, so his natural history report was not published until 1844 by Lichtenstein. He coined the name Sterna candida. If he had published his report timely he would have used two white terns from Tahiti as the type of candida. These two were in the Leverian Museum and eventually sold to the Imperial Museum in Vienna.

https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/kat-nhmw_20_0003-0376.pdf page 136.

I and Mathews dates Sterna candida as 1788. Although Latham states Lev. Mus. In his description of White Tern in 1785 but he lists the type place as Christmas island. Kiribati/Christmas Island was first found by the English on the Third Voyage on December 24, 1777. Latham’s tern is based upon a bird drawing by William Ellis who was on the Third Voyage from what he called turtle island.

From Cook’s diary: "On the 24th about half an hour after day breake," wrote Cook "land was discovered bearing NEBE½E; which upon a nearer approach was found to be one of those low islands so common in this sea; that is a narrow bank of land incloseing the sea within… The meeting with Soundings determined me to anchor to try to get some turtle, as the island seemed to be a good place for them and to be without inhabitents."

The next day, wrote Samwell "Captn Cook observed the old laudable Custom of keeping Christmas & dedicated this day to feasting & mirth; while he was at Dinner he received a Note from Captn Clerke acquainting him that some of the Discovery's Gentlemen walking ashore had met with some Turtle on the Beach which they had taken. This was a welcome piece of News & gave us a better Opinion of the Island that what we had hitherto entertained.” The island was put on a map in 1781 as île des Tortues (Turtles Island) by Tobias Conrad Lotter [de] in Augsburg.(Wikipedia) The drawing is from Kiribati. Figured by Ellis, pl. 56, "Turtle Island" > Sterna candida Gmelin, 1789.

Forster 1844: Descriptiones animalium quae in itinere ad Maris Australis terras per annos 1772, 1773 et 1774 suscepto - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Gmelin 1788(9?)

v. 1, pt. 2 - Caroli a Linné ... Systema naturae per regna tria naturae - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Latham 1785:

v.3:pt.2 (1785) - A general synopsis of birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Latham in 1787 adopts Sparrman’s Latin name alba.

Latham 1787:

Supplement to the General synopsis of birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

In 1789 a Captain Portlock published a book about his voyage 1785 to 1788 including Hawaii. He collected there a White Tern . He brought a specimen to England. He spoke to Latham and he received a drawing from Joseph Banks drawn by his botanical draughtsman Sydney Parkinson who died on the first Cook voyage. Parkinson has a good reputation but this is the worst drawing of a White Tern.

Portlock 1789, Joseph Banks personal copy, page 312 and the drawing is the page after.

A Voyage round the World, but more particularly to the North-West Coast of America ... in 1785-1788 .

Ok here is a good version of the white ten.

A voyage round the world but more particularly to the north-west coast of America - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

George Gray described this drawing as Banks icon.

v.3 (1844-1849) - The genera of birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Also here: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/49442#page/71/mode/1up .

“Unsigned pencil sketch. " Eperai. The whole bird intirely white the beak a lead colour, as are also the toes, the webs between white the Rachi of the wing feathers pale brown and those of the tail black." (B.) " No. 2 Egg Bird." (S.) " Otahite." (D.) " S. Parkinson.".”

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/2238858#page/341/mode/1up .

Bonaparte: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/16554#page/782/mode/1up .

The White Tern is seen on Saint Helena Island. Napoleon Bonaparte lived there from 1815 until his death there in 1821. I think that Gygis Napoleonis is a white tern on that island but I cannot find an original description?

Wagler genus Gygis saying candida is a Forster name:

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/85170#page/658/mode/1up .

One species in Gygis with subspecies might be best.

Saunders (1896) warns that the larger Gygis is also found on the Marquesas.

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/34471#page/172/mode/1up .

OD of microrhyncha :

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/29099883#page/812/mode/1up .

The 2023 Checklist supplement is now published. Not many real surprises, except for the scrub-jay proposal being postponed for a more thorough treatment of the whole complex.

RIP Cordilleran and Pacific-Slope Flycatcher...

Last edited:
The 2023 Checklist supplement is now published:

RIP Cordilleran and Pacific-Slope Flycatcher...

One less impossible-to-separate species to chase.

Not a problem for me because I only have seen one of them.
Niels

A write up from the ABA on the new AOS update

"The Committee has worked closely for the past two years with the IOU's Working Group on Avian Checklists (WGAC) to resolve discrepancies among global lists in their taxonomic treatments of North American birds. Most proposals reviewed for this supplement were part of this collaborative effort. "
Also they dedicate the publication to Normand David. Some links in it do not work like link to comments.?

I don't think the comments are online yet, hence why they don't work. Hopefully if they are including links though that means comments will be posted more quickly than usual, as some years they don't go up until Fall.

Curious if anyone has any insight into why the Scrub-Jay proposal was postponed? I don’t recall having noticed this / heard about this before.

I enjoyed the comment on the Bat Falcon record where the committee member posted his close up images of that bird, sarcastically saying he wasn't sure if he got close enough to ID it properly...

I find the "side note" comments in the bullfinch proposal (2023-A-13) on the WGAC to be the most interesting. The lack of relevance to the proposal at hand suggests something of a statement by these two reviewers:

"However, if there is nothing particularly new since we voted on this last and after Garridoet al. (2014) why are we wasting time again? Can’t we just send WGAC the comments from the last time around? It is not just this one, but I’m thinking of issues like Yellow-rumped Warbler, motions that we have voted on multiple occasions. While not pertinent here, is SACC considering all of these motions too?"

and

"The politics of differing taxonomic lists are not a relevant issue to me. When we are trying to force the products of a continuous divergence process into discrete taxonomic bins, not only are individual committees going to make some wrong calls (particularly in the gray areas), differences among committees will ensure that both correct and incorrect treatments will occur. I don’t find that to be a weakness. Disagreements among authoritative works are a hallmark of a science in which much remains unknown."

Last year (IIRC) I watched a presentation to a birding group in Los Angeles via youtube, which touched upon WGAC. I think Jon Dunn was one of the folks presenting.

Most of it pertained to the taxonomic changes of that year, but there was some annoyance on the process. WGAC (at least at that time) required only a majority to make a taxonomic change, versus NACC requiring a supermajority, which was the principle source of aggravation.

I could also see some NACC members also being annoyed at having an onslaught of proposals from this process, versus proposals on new matters. Clearly based on those comments some folks are ambivalent towards WGAC and attempts to reconcile checklists. Especially given that IOC has ignored NACC decisions and just the large amount of vitriol that creeps into the discussions of Birdlife splits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back