• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apple + Mag Views' Answer to the BTX or Any Long Duration Viewing (1 Viewer)

dwever

While I've used the BTX on board a 115 and 85, I just don't like it. It 1. eliminates zoom, 2. is massive, 3. looks like a weather station, 4. costs the same as a good electric bike, and 5. offers some eyestrain relief for folks untrained by say law enforcement or the military in using a single eye solution such as the ATX over extended periods of time.

Here's a hack for using spotting scopes for duration I was just presented with: Pair your ATX or STX to a Mag View (magnet based) and use your iPhone 14 ProMax 6.7" OLED display with a super-high resolution of 1290 x 2796 for a crystal clear spotting scope digital monitor. For many this could be a preferable method to any other long-term viewing approach when watching a bear or an eagle at 600 yards for an hour. But if you have your BTX, the 25X or 30X likely will not be enough magnification.

Attachments

• 907B7D55-F3F0-48CD-ACC3-6302D86F7AD0.jpeg
    907B7D55-F3F0-48CD-ACC3-6302D86F7AD0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
While I've used the BTX on board a 115 and 85, I just don't like it. It 1. eliminates zoom, 2. is massive, 3. looks like a weather station, 4. costs the same as a good electric bike, and 5. offers some eyestrain relief for folks untrained by say law enforcement or the military in using a single eye solution such as the ATX over extended periods of time.

Here's a hack for using spotting scopes for duration I was just presented with: Pair your ATX or STX to a Mag View (magnet based) and use your iPhone 14 ProMax 6.7" OLED display with a super-high resolution of 1290 x 2796 for a crystal clear spotting scope digital monitor. For many this could be a preferable method to any other long-term viewing approach when watching a bear or an eagle at 600 yards for an hour. But if you have your BTX, the 25X or 30X likely will not be enough magnification.
No screen has the image quality of looking through an eyepiece or two from Swaro or similar quality! However, I agree with you that one of the limitations of the BTX is that it doesn't zoom.
If you prefer to look at a screen get a superzoom camera and you will be saving costs, dimensions and weight... I know these don't have so big screens.

Swarovski do a magnifier to boost the BTX magnification if you’re wanting more power. I find intend to run my optics at a fixed power with only occasional want for more or less power. I rarely try attaching a camera to my optics as the detail is much better with the eye view, especially with two eyes together.

Peter

1. The hack was presented for duration viewing, and used an example of an hour, the response comments seem to ignore that, instead commenting for general use which was not the point.

2. Akagera National Park, Rwanda, African fish eagle (Haliaeetus vocifer), 2016. Detail is not always necessarily better with the eye. It was not known there were seven other birds in the view until reviewed on a screen. Taken w/ iPhone 7 Plus. #embracethe21stcent.

Attachments

• 75FC42E4-4F8B-4844-9766-E6F6974F582B.jpeg
    75FC42E4-4F8B-4844-9766-E6F6974F582B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 3CE08D64-5253-4AFA-910F-8EA315FEFAE9.jpeg
    3CE08D64-5253-4AFA-910F-8EA315FEFAE9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
(...) Pair your ATX or STX to a Mag View (magnet based) and use your iPhone 14 ProMax 6.7" OLED display with a super-high resolution of 1290 x 2796 for a crystal clear spotting scope digital monitor. (...)
Sorry, but Google didn't help: What is a Mag View? Something like a phonescoping adapter?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back