• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April Moths 2021 (1 Viewer)

After a pretty poor March, only 2 moths from 4 trapping sessions, April has started with a bit more promise. Despite the temperature dropping to 2.7C, there were 6 moths in the trap this morning, 4 Hebrew Characters and 2 Common Quakers (NFY). Aviemore, VC95.

After a pretty poor March, only 2 moths from 4 trapping sessions, April has started with a bit more promise. Despite the temperature dropping to 2.7C, there were 6 moths in the trap this morning, 4 Hebrew Characters and 2 Common Quakers (NFY). Aviemore, VC95.
It's been far, too windy here for the last week or so to even bother.

03/04. 2 Small Quaker, 2 Common Quaker and 1 Lead-coloured Drab.
Actinic trap only on till midnight before temp drop.

It's been far, too windy here for the last week or so to even bother.
Strong wind is probably the thing most likely to stop me trapping. I trap every Friday night for 36 weeks from early March to early November as part of the Garden Moth Scheme, although if the weather is really bad, or I'm going to be away, I'll trap a day or two either side of Friday instead. Surprisingly, I have caught the odd moth or two in temperatures below zero, the one Rannoch Sprawler I trapped was on a pretty cold night.

I put a pheromone trap out in the garden today containing the SKI pheromone. It had no result.
So, I took it up the road to a wood in the next village and put it in a rot hole in the cleft of a very old oak. Within a short time I had 25 Pammene giganteana. I was amazed at the speed of the response.

2 Orange Underwing agg settling on a path yesterday afternoon in my local country park in Northolt in the pleasantly warm sunshine.

Last edited:
Ran two traps till 23:30 last night. MV produced nothing. Actinic had 3 Common Quaker, 1 Small Quaker and 1 Twin-spotted Quaker.
Not inspiring. Next three nights currently look useless :(

I let my trap run until 4:30, it was a little damp by then and a lot colder. Covered the trap and went back to bed. By 7:45 it was snowing so I checked the trap contents indoors.
Small Quaker 7, Common Quaker 5, Early Grey 2, Brindled Beauty 2, Hebrew Character 3, Clouded Drab 2, Oak Beauty 1, Shoulder Stripe 1 NFY, Nut-tree Tussock 1 NFY, March Moth 1, Brindled Pug 1 and Double-striped Pug 1.
I'll be giving at least the next two nights a miss.

Took the SKI lure to my patch and had another Pammene giganteana under an oak. I pan species list the site so pleased with the result.
I thoroughly recommend this lure if you have oaks near you and want to catch this species. Available from ALS.

Trapped last night:

Clouded Drab 1
Common Quaker 5
Small Quaker 1
Hebrew Character 1
Pine Beauty 1 NFY (woo hoo!)

Sleet forecast, trap back indoors!

John

08/04. 3 Small Quaker, 2 Common Quaker, 1 LBAM and 1 Lead-coloured Drab. Not inspiring.

Last edited:
09/04. 2 Early Grey, 3 Common Quaker, 1 Chestnut, 1 Hebrew Character and 1 Small Quaker. Same old, same old.
Cold weather tonight.
09.04.2020 was my first night with a moth trap so I've done my first full year and started the second. Feel pleased with getting to 452 for the garden. Hopefully, this year will fill some of the gaps of commoner species I missed last year. I am managing to miss a lot of March/April flying moths that are around due to the cold, windy weather and being exposed at this time of year on my hill. Onwards and upwards.

Just checked and found Pine Beauty was NFG as well as NFY. Even happier with this colourful little moth!

John

Attachments

• 20210409 (4)_Pine_Beauty.jpg
    20210409 (4)_Pine_Beauty.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 7
09/04. 2 Early Grey, 3 Common Quaker, 1 Chestnut, 1 Hebrew Character and 1 Small Quaker. Same old, same old.
Cold weather tonight.
09.04.2020 was my first night with a moth trap so I've done my first full year and started the second. Feel pleased with getting to 452 for the garden. Hopefully, this year will fill some of the gaps of commoner species I missed last year. I am managing to miss a lot of March/April flying moths that are around due to the cold, windy weather and being exposed at this time of year on my hill. Onwards and upwards.
Well done Rubia. Is that micros as well as macros? I'm a few weeks off my first anniversary, will be interesting to see where I'm at by then.

Well done Rubia. Is that micros as well as macros? I'm a few weeks off my first anniversary, will be interesting to see where I'm at by then.
Thank you. That number is micros and macros in total. I look forward to seeing your first year total. The first year must in some way be the most exciting as everything is new. The challenge will be adding to it.

Pine Beauty - that is a stunner. I was thrilled to see my only one a short while ago. A jewel of a moth. There are some you just can't wait to find in or near the trap.
Yellow Horned is one I have been hoping for but not had, I have birch close to the house on the street but time is running out.

Thank you. That number is micros and macros in total. I look forward to seeing your first year total. The first year must in some way be the most exciting as everything is new. The challenge will be adding to it.

Pine Beauty - that is a stunner. I was thrilled to see my only one a short while ago. A jewel of a moth. There are some you just can't wait to find in or near the trap.
Yellow Horned is one I have been hoping for but not had, I have birch close to the house on the street but time is running out.
I've not yet dived into micros in any comprehensive way, need to get a field guide of some sort first (and better eyes). Good luck with Yellow Horned, although I find it hard finding the balance between wanting everything now and saving a few for future years!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back