• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aquitaine France , help please (1 Viewer)

Rene1958

Hi I’m going to stay in the vicinity of Biarritz and was wondering if anyone can provide me with some locations within approximately an hours drive (bit more is ok) for bird watching/bird photography. It’s very difficult to get any kind of info so some input is highly appreciated!
Thanks very much
Rene

Faune-aquitaine.org has daily sightings (you can switch the pages to English if you're not fluent in French bird names). The Where to Watch Birds in France book (Pegasus Publishing) has quit a few sites listed in the area you're visiting so I'd recommend getting that.

I guess Réserve Naturelle du Marais d'Orx and nearby Lac d'Hossegor should be good.
I've never been there myself though.

When are you going ?
Do you have any target birds in mind ?

I guess Réserve Naturelle du Marais d'Orx and nearby Lac d'Hossegor should be good.
I've never been there myself though.

When are you going ?
Do you have any target birds in mind ?
Many thanks for all the reactions. The reason I’m going to area is as I have been asked to give a nature/bird photography course for 5 days in the vicinity of Biarritz. It’s not so much about target birds but more about areas to go to, wander around and take pictures of birds. Landscapes and whatever else might show up. Unlike Spain there seems a lack of photohides as well. I also came across marais d’orx and hossegor but like you: don’t know anything about it. Hope this helps
Rene de Heer
www.naturepics.co.uk

Many thanks for all the reactions. The reason I’m going to area is as I have been asked to give a nature/bird photography course for 5 days in the vicinity of Biarritz. It’s not so much about target birds but more about areas to go to, wander around and take pictures of birds. Landscapes and whatever else might show up. Unlike Spain there seems a lack of photohides as well. I also came across marais d’orx and hossegor but like you: don’t know anything about it. Hope this helps
Rene de Heer
www.naturepics.co.uk
Yes, I don't think you'll find many photohides in France...Marais d'Orx has some hides, but not sure how good they are for photography.
Also, just east of Biarritz are "Les Barthes de l'Adour", along the North side of the Adour river. It's not a site itself, more a type of habitat : wet meadows on the side of the river.
It's probably quite interesting for birds and wildlife in general but I don't know what are the best locations to observe/photograph birds in les Barthes...
Even if you don't have any target species, this part of France holds a nice population of black-winged kite, which could be of interest to you, apparently they are pretty common in agricultural land.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back