• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aral region, June (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Are the two birds in the one pic just female house sparrows? That's what they look like, but I'm bewildered because I didn't see a single male around.

And what's this other chap? crested lark?

I hope y'all don't mind my influx of Kazakhstan birds -- going through my pics slowly.

Attachments

• IMGP1793.jpg
    IMGP1793.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 108
  • IMGP1783.jpg
    IMGP1783.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMGP7963.jpg
    IMGP7963.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 109
the first 2 pics show a calandrella lark species, i guess it is lesser short-toed but a bit hard if you don't see the wingtips. do you have one more lateral pic of it? 3rd are two juvenile sparrows, presumablly house sparrows but i'm not sure if there could be another contender (like spanish sparrow).

Ok, I'll just upload the lot of the pics I have of larks in the area. I wonder now if they are various kinds of larks since they look so different in the pictures. One of them is really dark.

Also, I wonder why lesser short-toed lark isn't listed in the Birds of Central Asia guidebook.

Thanks for all the help! Have another batch to upload in a bit.

Attachments

• IMGP1770.jpg
    IMGP1770.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP1789.jpg
    IMGP1789.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMGP1781.jpg
    IMGP1781.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMGP1778.jpg
    IMGP1778.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP1779.jpg
    IMGP1779.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 34
More larks

Attachments

• IMGP1804.jpg
    IMGP1804.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP1801.jpg
    IMGP1801.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMGP1800.jpg
    IMGP1800.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMGP1798.jpg
    IMGP1798.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP1797.jpg
    IMGP1797.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 23
aaaaaand more of the sparrows, if they give more insight.

Attachments

• IMGP7950.jpg
    IMGP7950.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMGP2280.jpg
    IMGP2280.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP2283.jpg
    IMGP2283.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMGP2239.jpg
    IMGP2239.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 37
the forelast pic shows an adult female saxaul sparrow so i guess the juveniles could well be saxaul sparrows too.
the 4th pic in your pic might show a juvenile black lark, the others all seem to be lesser short-toed, including juveniles. but these are hard.

Pic 1 post 6 - I wonder if this may show a Horned lark of some description? The tail pattern matches, and there is a hint of a dark markings along the supercillium and below the eye on the left hand bird.

Also, I wonder why lesser short-toed lark isn't listed in the Birds of Central Asia guidebook.

It may be because the identity, relationships and distributions of populations were less than clear; also some taxa were mis-attributed, if we go by the revisions of Alström et al 2013 & Stervander et al 2016,both clarifying many aspects, but after Ayé et al 2012.

Similar taxa likely present in the Aral region, in post-revision proposed taxonomy, are: Greater Short-toed Lark Calandrella brachydactyla longipennis, Hume's Short-toed Lark Calandrella acutirostris acutirostris (east of Aral, mostly), Lesser Short-toed Lark Alaudala rufescens aharoni (including niethammeri and Asian Short-toed Lark Alaudala cheleensis leucophaea (rare resident in and W of Syrdarya).

Because distributions remain poorly-known, other taxa may also be present. Note that previous Russian taxonomy (including unilateral adoption of some English names which in the West have been used for more distant taxa) may yet provide some clarity or even cloud the issue.
MJB

Alström, P, KN Barnes, U Olsson, FK Barker, P Bloomer, AA Khan, MA Quresh, A Guillaumet, P-A Crochet and PG Ryan. 2013. Multilocus phylogeny of the avian family Alaudidae (larks) reveals complex morphological evolution, non-monophyletic genera and hidden species diversity. Mol. Phyl. & Evol. 69(3): 1043-1056.

Ayé, R, M Schweizer and T Roth. 2012. The Birds of Central Asia. Helm. London. UK.

Stervander, M, P Alström, U Olsson, U Ottosson, B Hansson and S Bensch. 2016. Multiple instances of paraphyletic species and cryptic taxa revealed by mitochondrial and nuclear RAD data for Calandrella larks (Aves: Alaudidae). Mol. Phyl. Evol. 102: 233–245

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back