• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ardea CF+500AH vs Benro TMA27C+S4 Pro (1 Viewer)

Adalberti

Spain
Hello all,

So after some time thinking about investing in a good scope I finally came to a decision and chose the Swaro ATS 80 HD. But now, it comes the second part, to choose a proper tripod-head combo for it.

After some fun search I narrowed it down to two options, so now I'm torn between these combos:

a) Kite Ardea CF + Manfrotto MVH500AH (440€)
b) Benro Mach3 TMA27C + S4 Pro ( 390€)

Also, I considered but finally discarded the Benro Wild Kit TWD28CL+BWH4 (300€).

Your advice is very welcome. Hopefully you can give me the latest push to complete the purchase.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your feedback Katerin, but I'm afraid a Gitzo is out of my reach due to price.

I'm also thinking about a Benro Mach 3 TMA37C with the MVH500AH head.

Adalberti, I bought mine used ~US$500 as it was in mint condition, a difficult purchase but made me regret not buying it in the first place. I did take my scope down to the local camera shop to test out their tall travel tripods since I tend to use my scope looking up into trees. The tallest available was the Fotopro Sherpa Max kit (~US$300-400) and it was a huge disappointment in terms of stability. Not worth the $$ IMO. Only the GT2545T impressed me despite being not tall enough for my liking. Stability is its selling point. Do note that it lacks a hook at the bottom of center column and no tightening screws for the head. Similar to your situation, the ~US630 price was deemed out of reach. Went home moody that day. :(

I have no experience with the Benro Mach 3 TMA37C ~US$385 but 1.9kg is heavy if you intend to use it as a travel tripod and I have doubts regarding its stability and build quality. Since its ~$630 vs $385, it actually is a no brainer (a very stable tripod vs a MIC knockoff tripod advertising to be stable like the former). If possible, test them all out at local camera shops while keeping a lookout for a used gitzo tripod. The ATS 80 HD is a very good scope and deserves a good mount to bring out all its positive qualities. I learnt the "buy once cry once" lesson the hard way.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back