• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are cheaper scopes any good? (1 Viewer)

firefox32

Hi Guys.

I need a new telescope quite badly and have got my eye on a kowa. Before I commit to buying could anyone advise me if any of the cheaper makes i.e. celestron, seben, luger are worth a look. If so which make and model.

Thanks for your time.

Johnny.

johhny fox said:
Hi Guys.

I need a new telescope quite badly and have got my eye on a kowa. Before I commit to buying could anyone advise me if any of the cheaper makes i.e. celestron, seben, luger are worth a look. If so which make and model.

Thanks for your time.

Johnny.
Can't go wrong with a Kowa.Don't know about the others you named.
...................fiddler.

Johnny,
I'll second Fiddler..nothing wrong with Kowa. If your budget is tight...look for second hand Kowa. I've used Kowa for the past 8-9 years and can honestly say that I am well pleased...started with 821, now using 823.
The cheaper models you mention are not ones that i am familiar with...of the cheaper scopes that I am familiar with the Opticron classic 75mm is a good one

cheaper scopes

johhny fox said:
Hi Guys.

Thanks for your time.

Johnny.
july 2006 birdwatching magazine has a test on budget 60mm to 65 mm spotting scopes, in the test the kowa tsn 601 comes second to the nikon fieldscope, but only just, for a lot less money. it would be my choice of the two for value. i have had two kowa:s a 611 and now a 663 ed. they are great scopes. i seen 601 bodies for £239. hope this may help . regards stuart

Even a cheap scope is better than no scope, just thought that needed saying and don't scrimp on the tripod. Poor scope good tripod is better than the best scope on a poor tripod in my opinion.

Mick

johhny fox said:
Hi Guys.

Thanks for your time.

Johnny.

If you're interested, I'm just about to put a Kowa TS611 with 30ww TSN eyepiece on to Ebay - buy it now price of £230. Superb scope, great condition, optics perfect, comes with a waterproof stay-on case. PM me if interested.

Second-hand can save you a lot, also look at clearance lines. I don't know what your budget is but several places have big discounts on Nikon fieldscope III's at the moment. The Nikon RAII Spotting scope is great value as well.

I bought a Hawke Endurance 23-70x70 from Optics Warehouse without trying it out and I'm delighted with it. I don't have any experience with Kowa and couldn't compare them, all I can say is that for a budget scope mine is excellent.

Seben customer relations....NOT!

Hi,

This is to inform potential customers of Seben what to expect if they enquire for the specification of their products.

I was looking for a budget spotting scope and i was interested in a Seben 'Comet' 1200-90 on ebay but the description of the scope gave no detail whatsoever on whether the lense are coated or not....i emailed Seben and they replied briefly and simply that "The lense is coated"....i replied asking for more information as to the 'precise' details on the coating?.......their response was that their product is of "high quality and i "either buy it or i dont buy it" !!......I was surprised at the curt response, I replied that i had decided not to buy as i was disappointed that they could not answer a basic question regarding the specification of the scope ...The response from Seben was "good, you are not welcome as a customer"........

Hope this helps.
Regards
john

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1200-90-New-S...48QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

johhny fox said:
Hi Guys.

Thanks for your time.

Johnny.

Last edited:
johhny fox said:
Hi Guys.

Thanks for your time.

Johnny.

Personally I wouldn't touch a little known brand with a barge pole. Stick with a known brand. Kowa seem to be cheaper then the other famous brands. After dominating the market they have lost out big time to Zeiss/Leica/Swarvoski/Nikon but from what I hear they still make pretty good value scopes. One cheaper - but well known - brand that would also be worth looking at is Opticron.

It's a pity you are in a rush overwise it might be worth waiting and hoping that warehouse express have a really good offer - which they do occasionally.

Steve

I'll second Mick on the tripod. Some cheaper scopes come as a package with tripod, and those tripods are no good. Kowa and decent tripod, Manfrotto, should work.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back