• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are magnifications additive? (1 Viewer)

Mcgiiver

If I am using a point and shoot camera at 3x and a 7x monocular, am I getting 10x magnification? Or some other mathematical answer?

If I am using a point and shoot camera at 3x and a 7x monocular, am I getting 10x magnification? Or some other mathematical answer?

Well, the camera does not actually magnify against any other reference, the 3x is not relevant on it's own, except relative to the camera's own "1x" if it's a zoom camera. But if you accept that, then you can say that magnifications are multiplicative - the size of the object will be 21x bigger than if you were to zoom out to "1x" on your camera and point it at it. A little bit more natural example is that if you look through a 7x scope behind a 10x scope, you have 70x of magnifcation (of likely a really, really bad picture though :))

The results will be multiplicative not additive.

You will be getting 21x your camera's minimum focal length (the minimum focal length is where the 3x or whatever is referenced from. Typically it is a wide angle view, and so some multiple less than normal view).
The focal length range of your camera lens will be written on it. You then need to factor in the sensor size to get a 35mm equivalent, with ~50mm being what your unaided eye sees.

If for example, your camera's minimum focal length is 25mm say (35mm equivalent) - which is half the 'normal' view, then the view you see by combining camera @3x and 7x monocular will be:
0.5 x 3 x 7 = 10.5x what your unaided eye sees.

Work it out to get the exact figure.

Chosun :gh:

Well, the camera does not actually magnify against any other reference, the 3x is not relevant on it's own, except relative to the camera's own "1x" if it's a zoom camera. But if you accept that, then you can say that magnifications are multiplicative - the size of the object will be 21x bigger than if you were to zoom out to "1x" on your camera and point it at it. A little bit more natural example is that if you look through a 7x scope behind a 10x scope, you have 70x of magnifcation (of likely a really, really bad picture though :))

Sorry. Not on the topic of the thread, but I clicked on your "mammal photos" link, in your signature. I was going to download your Fonerama (I think) editing program. But, I thought I should ask first. Is that something that is idiotproof, and can it be used with an Android phone?

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back