• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Are the great tits in my garden just teasing me? (1 Viewer)

Hi!

I've had great tits visiting my bird box for weeks now, if not months. They hang around at the entrance, often pecking at the hole. They will hang around for about 5 minutes at a time, clinging onto the entrance, then hop up to sit on top of or near the box, but they very rarely actually go into the box. Then they'll disappear for hours or even days at a time. Are they just teasing me, or is this a ritual they normally follow before starting to make their nest? I'm aware it must be getting quite late now for them to have not already started, but up until very recently it's been unusually cold for the time of year.

Don't know if it's relevant, but the boxes went up last year and we had some blue tits nesting in there. They either haven't returned this year, or maybe the great tits saw them off, I'm not sure.

Many thanks 😁

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Nikki and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Sorry, I'm not too sure what's going on. I don't have much experience with Great Tits as they're only very occasional visitors to my garden. They may still be able to raise a clutch if the weather improves.

You can read more about Great Tits in our Opus article.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum.

I doubt the great tits will use the nest box as it sounds as though the entrance hole is too small and that is probably why they've been pecking at it. It seems that it is a blue tit box as they have used it. Blue tit boxes have an entrance diameter of 25mm and great tit boxes of 28mm.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread