• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are the Swarovski NL 8x32s the best birding binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Questions:
What was the original title of this thread?
Does someone have to 'Report' before action is taken?
Guessing the threads don't 'belong' to 'us', one person still owns this site?
(there are few adverts here to tempt companies, but Pianoworld forums was recently sold by the owner of two decades to a company who will no doubt add to the piano/music adverts)

Questions:
What was the original title of this thread?
Does someone have to 'Report' before action is taken?
Guessing the threads don't 'belong' to 'us', one person still owns this site?
(there are few adverts here to tempt companies, but Pianoworld forums was recently sold by the owner of two decades to a company who will no doubt add to the piano/music adverts)
-Lee and other moderators are watching so a "report" is not really needed but it might help.
-"Blue Steve" (who's now red) owns the site, as far as I know, and maintaining the BF site costs money so ads are definitely welcome.

-Lee and other moderators are watching so a "report" is not really needed but it might help.
-"Blue Steve" (who's now red) owns the site, as far as I know, and maintaining the BF site costs money so ads are definitely welcome.
And it helps if one supports the site with some donation!

An excellent summary of the "problem"!! I am afraid that he thrives on our responses and reactions to his ridiculous and ever changing views. And all the time he remains civil in his comments his not going to be chucked out the forum. The best solution would be for everyone not to react to his posts and to ignore him in the hope that he can find his entertainment somewhere else. Unfortunately that is never going to happen...
Surely Dennis comes here for the same basic reasons others do, for conversation and exchange of knowledge (or even binoculars), nothing evil or even manipulative, except in the sense that all interaction can be viewed as transactional, which is highly reductive. Some of his is just overdone or awkward, to the point of regularly irritating (some) other members, but personal criticism obviously just makes things worse -- unless the goal really is to drive him away or get him banned, which would be manipulative itself; also it clearly hasn't worked except occasionally and temporarily, which accomplishes nothing. So I really think the best solution would be for everyone not to overreact to his posts and make the conversation all about Dennis, and then accuse him of wanting to do that.

Surely Dennis comes here for the same basic reasons others do, for conversation and exchange of knowledge (or even binoculars), nothing evil or even manipulative, except in the sense that all interaction can be viewed as transactional, which is highly reductive. Some of his is just overdone or awkward, to the point of regularly irritating (some) other members, but personal criticism obviously just makes things worse -- unless the goal really is to drive him away or get him banned, which would be manipulative itself; also it clearly hasn't worked except occasionally and temporarily, which accomplishes nothing. So I really think the best solution would be for everyone not to overreact to his posts and make the conversation all about Dennis, and then accuse him of wanting to do that.
A very thoughtful observation. Kudos (y)

There are basic forum posting rules, these have been broken hundreds of times for more than a decade, mostly by the same poster. The solution is to enforce those rules, not make exceptions.

There are basic forum posting rules, these have been broken hundreds of times for more than a decade, mostly by the same poster. The solution is to enforce those rules, not make exceptions.
I agree, and wasn't arguing for exceptions, only suggesting that enforcement isn't up to us, so if the problem is allowed to persist, we should try not to exacerbate it.

Things will be boring for a while here then again there some important issues coming down the pike any way.
I guess 'pike' here is short for 'turnpike' meaning a road........ over here in the old country, taking a 'pike' at something means having a quick surruptitious look at it.

Just sayin' :)

Lee

You know what I mean, things are quite exiting over there now.
Was 'exiting' a mistake (and you intended 'exciting') or was it a sideways remark about our crazy politics over here? I) Truss was PM, then exits, 2) Boris comes back from holiday, then exits the race etc etc

Lee

Anyone who can fix his wife's tax affairs while being Chancellor has got to be best choice to fix our economy ;)
I was just wondering whether any of our better known politicians are birders or astronomers...and use binoculars?

I) Truss was PM, then exits, 2) Boris comes back from holiday, then exits the race etc etc
I don't think anyone over here can understand how a PM can fail so utterly in a mere six weeks, or their party keep governing for years anyway. But our politics are at least as bad with different details. No wonder Putin thinks the West is crumbling. Not to mention Xi...

Agree ! We used them at CleySpy. Stunning!
Used what? What do you think this thread is about? :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone over here can understand how a PM can fail so utterly in a mere six weeks, or their party keep governing for years anyway. But our politics are at least as bad with different details. No wonder Putin thinks the West is crumbling. Not to mention Xi...

Used what? What do you think this thread is about? :rolleyes:
Our Prime Minister, we call him the president utterly failed in his first six weeks as well. But for some reason it seems we can’t get rid of him for four years, minimum 😩

I for one do not think the 8x32NL’s are necessarily the best birding binoculars. Probably one of the best, maybe in the top three. If you want to measure it by stats alone, yes. And of course we all know that there is not one best Binocular for one purpose for everybody. You see how I maneuvered back to the OP, after my political dig. 😉

Paul

The Conservative Party won the election, so having been voted-in by the people they stay in power until the next general election.
The Prime Minister gets voted on by the party and can be changed if they lose the confidence of the party.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back