• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Are these both herring gulls? (1 Viewer)

rin

:h?:

I am somewhat confused as both these gulls have the markings of herring gull but are oodles different in size.

The first bird has a very long body and long tail feathers and stands tall from the groung whilst the second has a much shorter body and shorter tail feathers and is quite close to the ground in comparison to the other.

I hope that my photos show what I mean.

Thanks
Rin x

;)

Attachments

• Herring-Gull-1.gif
    Herring-Gull-1.gif
    169.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Herring-Gull-2.gif
    Herring-Gull-2.gif
    197.6 KB · Views: 186

JANJ

As Niel say´s both are Herring Gulls. That the tail should be that long as indicated in pic.1 is simply not possible I think. Although it looks a bit odd, it´s one of the primaries hanging down, notice the similarity in shape to the other primaries. It seems wholly unmarked, like p10 on argentatus, but in the image it looks oddly placed.
As for differently shaped, the shape of any gull, or other birds, varies according to mood, weather situations fittnes and so on. Males are bigger than females, which in some circumstances can be a factor to a different look.
JanJ

rin

JANJ said:
As Niel say´s both are Herring Gulls. That the tail should be that long as indicated in pic.1 is simply not possible I think. Although it looks a bit odd, it´s one of the primaries hanging down, notice the similarity in shape to the other primaries. It seems wholly unmarked, like p10 on argentatus, but in the image it looks oddly placed.
As for differently shaped, the shape of any gull, or other birds, varies according to mood, weather situations fittnes and so on. Males are bigger than females, which in some circumstances can be a factor to a different look.
JanJ

Thanks very much JANJ for taking the time out to explain. Much appreciated, this is how I learn a little every day.

There were quite a few Herring Gulls with these long 'tail' feathers. I just used this one pic to show what I meant.

I must confess one of these was so long necked and solid that he was quite frightening. Like the school bully if you know what I mean!!!

Thanks again.

Rin x

Users who are viewing this thread