• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Zen Rays 8x43 ED's really that good? (1 Viewer)

Hmm! I really disagree with that. I find the difference between 7x and 8x enormous especially in the ability to hold the binocular steady and the additional FOV that the 7x provides is normally much larger giving you a big panoramic view with a 5mm exit pupil that is easy to use.

Dennis

To each their own on holding things steady, but my usual 8x32 is the Zeiss FL with a 420 foot FOV. The Swarovski 8x32 EL has the same. Few modern premium 7x do any better than that, for example, the 7x42 Zeiss models are 450 foot FOV, but most other full sized are 420. We haven't seen a 7x mid-sized premium roof in a long time. The last two 7x mid-sized I tried were the Swift Eaglet and the Swarovski 7x30 SLC, neither of which has a wide FOV. But if you're saying that you're looking forward to the wide FOV these 7x36 claim, I'm in full agreement.

--AP

To each their own on holding things steady, but my usual 8x32 is the Zeiss FL with a 420 foot FOV. The Swarovski 8x32 EL has the same. Few modern premium 7x do any better than that, for example, the 7x42 Zeiss models are 450 foot FOV, but most other full sized are 420. We haven't seen a 7x mid-sized premium roof in a long time. The last two 7x mid-sized I tried were the Swift Eaglet and the Swarovski 7x30 SLC, neither of which has a wide FOV. But if you're saying that you're looking forward to the wide FOV these 7x36 claim, I'm in full agreement.

--AP

470 foot FOV on the Zen Ray 7x36 HD2's should be enormous! Each 20 foot increment makes a difference in FOV IMO.

Dennis

I cannot really argue that as long as the eye relief is good. Take the Bushnell Ultra HDs I just received. They list the typical 426 feet with something like 16 or 17 mm of eye relief. Depending on eye cup size/style I can actually see the full field of view on some mid-full sized binoculars down to about 14 mm. With the Ultra HDs I just barely see the field stops. If I move my eye just a hair back from eyepiece then I definitely lose the edges. I cannot cause blackouts no matter what I try.

Depending on eye cup size/style I can actually see the full field of view on some mid-full sized binoculars down to about 14 mm. With the Ultra HDs I just barely see the field stops. If I move my eye just a hair back from eyepiece then I definitely lose the edges. I cannot cause blackouts no matter what I try.

Eye relief of Ultra HD is smaller, than ER on Zen ED ?
Can you compare real eye relief of Bushnell Legend 8x32/8x42 and ER on Zen ED ?

The actual eye relief is smaller, yes, on the Ultra than on the Zen ED (8x models). The Bushnell Legend (non Ultra) had better eye relief than the Ultra but also a subsequently narrower field of view.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back