• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arek's new 12x50 Reviews (4 Viewers)

Hi Obserwatorek,

Thanks for the additional information about the eyepiece construction.

And apologies for wrongly crediting the x-ray image.
Google Translate showed the caption: 'Zdjęcie rentgenowskie lornetki Nikon Action EX 12x50 CF. Fot. Obserwatorek'
as: 'X-ray image of Nikon Action EX 12x50 CF binoculars. Photo Watchers'.

So 'Photo by Obserwatorek' is what it should have been!

John

Last edited:

Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 12x50,
in polish language, without X-Ray ...

I just got to try a pair of the 12x50 HD+ and had a really hard time wanting to leave the store without them. Much more enjoyable than I'd expected, not to mention very stable and ironically, I suppose because of the high magnification, felt like they actually had a relatively wider view than it seemed like they should have.

I will get a set of these at some time and should have just stayed away from them in the first place.

I just got to try a pair of the 12x50 HD+ and had a really hard time wanting to leave the store without them. Much more enjoyable than I'd expected, not to mention very stable and ironically, I suppose because of the high magnification, felt like they actually had a relatively wider view than it seemed like they should have.

I will get a set of these at some time and should have just stayed away from them in the first place.

I agree, they are very, very nice!

ironically, I suppose because of the high magnification, felt like they actually had a relatively wider view than it seemed like they should have.
Apparent FOV does often tend to increase with magnification. Of course the real field narrows, but not by quite as much as you'd expect.

Apparent FOV does often tend to increase with magnification. Of course the real field narrows, but not by quite as much as you'd expect.
The two biggest surprises for me were the total lack of feeling I was looking through a tunnel, and the completely unexpected stability.
In addition to the Ultravid, I’m now also considering the EL, or whatever other decently reviewed 12x50 should happen to become available in the used market.
If you’ve got a 12x50, which one is your personal favorite?

Yes, higher magnifications can give a really nice view. I have 10 and 15x myself, but if I were looking for 12x I'd consider UV, EL, and NL, possibly also MeoStar (but check the FOV). Since you haven't exactly been smitten by Swaros, I'd imagine the Leica would be an easy choice.

Last edited:
Yes, higher magnifications can give a really nice view. I have 10 and 15x myself, but if I were looking for 12x I'd consider UV, EL, and NL, possibly also MeoStar (but check the FOV). Since you haven't exactly been smitten by Swaros, I'd imagine the Leica would be an easy choice.
My biggest confidence in the Ultravid is that it's the only 12x50 that I've tried yet and I'm still holding out hope that maybe the recommendation of an EL could prove to be a good match. Now MeoStar added to the list, though I suspect it'll end up being whatever decent 12x50 I end up finding in the classifieds.

I suppose because of the high magnification, felt like they actually had a relatively wider view than it seemed like they should have.
I have the exact same feeling with my Zeiss 15x60, also of all my bins they give me the most immersive feeling. Somewhat same experience i have with my Habicht 8x30. Strange, why ?

I have a Duovid 12x42 but would really like to try an UV and an old Trinovid BN in 12x50 format.

...would really like to try an UV and an old Trinovid BN in 12x50 format.
As much as I like my 8x32 BN, trying one in 12x50 sounds pretty interesting too. I already know I like the Ultravid, but as much as prices for older models have been going up, maybe the BN could end up costing more!

As much as I like my 8x32 BN, trying one in 12x50 sounds pretty interesting too. I already know I like the Ultravid, but as much as prices for older models have been going up, maybe the BN could end up costing more!
In the Netherlands the Trinnies 12x50 go for around 1000 euro. If they are good and still have warranty they might be interesting.

Meopta is also very nice but I’m worried about the IPD, i have narrow IPD.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back