• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arek's new 12x50 Reviews (1 Viewer)

I figured the EL 12x50 would be first, but I thought the Meostar 12x50 would be closer because I didn't see a huge difference in them when I tried them. The other contenders are way down the list. It is hard to make a superb 12x50.

Duh - what would you expect when the Leupold, Vortex and Nikon models are at the very bottom of their respective lineups. Would have like to have seen Leupolds BX-4 or BX-5, the Vortex Viper or Razer, or the Nikon Action Extreme or Prostaff 5. Not like they are going to approach the EL SV's, but it would have been more interesting with more of the 500 to 1000 range. I've been looking around for a $500 or so 12x50 for another porch bin that will stay outside 24/7, 365 in the rain, heat and cold. And none of the ones reviewed make the cut.

Duh - what would you expect when the Leupold, Vortex and Nikon models are at the very bottom of their respective lineups. Would have like to have seen Leupolds BX-4 or BX-5, the Vortex Viper or Razer, or the Nikon Action Extreme or Prostaff 5. Not like they are going to approach the EL SV's, but it would have been more interesting with more of the 500 to 1000 range. I've been looking around for a $500 or so 12x50 for another porch bin that will stay outside 24/7, 365 in the rain, heat and cold. And none of the ones reviewed make the cut.
I have never seen a $500 12x50 that I would buy. I have tried quite a few and the optics are lousy. For the money, I would buy the Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 12x50 HD.

Why does Arek sow doubts about the provision of phase coating on some models?
I thought it was almost universal nowadays and it can be easily verified with a polarizing filter and a TFT screen.

John

I have never seen a $500 12x50 that I would buy. I have tried quite a few and the optics are lousy. For the money, I would buy the Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 12x50 HD.
And here I thought you had previously owned a 12x50 Viper HD and also a Razor, and said the Viper was not far behind the Razor?
Do you understand my meaning of a porch bin? outside 24/7, 365 in the rain, heat and freezing cold? Grandkids and certain inebriated family members tend to drop them on the deck several times a year, as well as smearing them with all sorts of sticky delicacies. I guess I could use my EL SV 8.5x42 or one of my EGD's.
Here is what my porch bins look like after 7 years - and I scrub them (except lenses) with a scothbrite sponge yearly. You might understand why I'm not keen on using alphas for a porch bin.

Attachments

• IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
And here I thought you had previously owned a 12x50 Viper HD and also a Razor, and said the Viper was not far behind the Razor?
Do you understand my meaning of a porch bin? outside 24/7, 365 in the rain, heat and freezing cold? Grandkids and certain inebriated family members tend to drop them on the deck several times a year, as well as smearing them with all sorts of sticky delicacies. I guess I could use my EL SV 8.5x42 or one of my EGD's.
Here is what my porch bins look like after 7 years - and I scrub them (except lenses) with a scothbrite sponge yearly. You might understand why I'm not keen on using alphas for a porch bin.
Those Sightron's are pretty rough. HaHa. Why do you want a 12x for a porch bin? I moved away from 12x unless it is on a tripod. I can't hold them steady enough. I even use IS at 10x with a Canon 10x42 IS-L. Why don't you get another Sightron 8x32? I think they are down to less than $100. If you really want a 12x50, I have heard the Maven C.3 12x50 is a pretty good 12x, and it is at the $500 price point. You might check one of those out.

Last edited:
Those Sightron's are pretty rough. HaHa. Why do you want a 12x for a porch bin? I moved away from 12x unless it is on a tripod. I can't hold them steady enough. I even use IS at 10x with a Canon 10x42 IS-L. Why don't you get another Sightron 8x32? I think they are down to less than $100.
I sit on my porch a lot - its about 55 yards to the fence in front and 300 yds across the fields to the treeline. Right side is 350 to 400 yds to the treeline. I find the 12x useful for the longer reaches, watching raptors and buzzards, as well as some close ups. I've been using a nice pair of Nikon 12x40 E (pre C) porros but they don't get it as a porch bin.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Sightrons other than looking a little abused. I've always wondered if an alpha with its touted superior build quality could had withstood what the little Sightron has endured. I remember about 11 years back when FrankD was touting them, you called them a CPOS. :) Besides the Sightrons have gone back up to $200 since there's not many left. Recently bought a new 8x42 Monarch HG thinking of making them my new porch bin 8x's, but just also bought a new 8x42 Celestron Regal ED, so will do some comparisons.
For the past couple of months, I've been toying around with the idea of selling off some of my bino hoard and getting a 10x42 IS-L, but I still want a 12x50 porch bin as well. Figured I'd go off the beaten path and bought a 12x50 Athlon Midas G2 UHD and a 12x50 Celestron Nature DX ED to compare. Will probably buy more.
Here's a view from my chair.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    547.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    573 KB · Views: 32
I sit on my porch a lot - its about 55 yards to the fence in front and 300 yds across the fields to the treeline. Right side is 350 to 400 yds to the treeline. I find the 12x useful for the longer reaches, watching raptors and buzzards, as well as some close ups. I've been using a nice pair of Nikon 12x40 E (pre C) porros but they don't get it as a porch bin.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Sightrons other than looking a little abused. I've always wondered if an alpha with its touted superior build quality could had withstood what the little Sightron has endured. I remember about 11 years back when FrankD was touting them, you called them a CPOS. :) Besides the Sightrons have gone back up to $200 since there's not many left. Recently bought a new 8x42 Monarch HG thinking of making them my new porch bin 8x's, but just also bought a new 8x42 Celestron Regal ED, so will do some comparisons.
For the past couple of months, I've been toying around with the idea of selling off some of my bino hoard and getting a 10x42 IS-L, but I still want a 12x50 porch bin as well. Figured I'd go off the beaten path and bought a 12x50 Athlon Midas G2 UHD and a 12x50 Celestron Nature DX ED to compare. Will probably buy more.
Here's a view from my chair.
Nice! That looks like it would be nice and dark for a telescope. Do you have a telescope? I think the Athlon and the Celestron 12x50's might be pretty good. Try the Maven also.

Leica Ultravid 12x50 HD Review

Arek has just added the above to the previous six reviews, see at: Leica Ultravid 12x50 HD - binoculars review - AllBinos.com

The review is of the HD version, versus the current HD Plus that was introduced in 2017.
The Plus has the relatively minor upgrade of using Schott HD glass for the prisms.
(Arek was unable to source a new 12x50 HD Plus in Poland).

John

Leica 12x50 HD.jpg

Last edited:
It is a very nice glass for sure the Leica 12X50 HD (as long as you do not wear glasses - limited ER) along with the 8X42 HD is very good company.

I read the review. Very odd he just tested the older 12x50 HD model, but not the current HD+.
I wonder why he made the effort. The HD+ models are from 2014-15.
Jerry

Leica Ultravid 12x50 HD Review
(Arek was unable to source a new 12x50 HD Plus in Poland).
Allbinos seems to attract quite a lot of international attention, so it's surprising that Leica should show such disinterest.

Some years ago I asked my dealer to procure an 8x50 UV. He was informed by Leica that they no longer considered him a dealer as he had failed to meet their minimum turnover requirements. I was reluctant to go elsewhere and eventually bought an 8x56 SLC, so that was a lost sale for Leica.

In contrast, Troubador gets his hands on anything new from Zeiss and likewise Piergiovanni of Binomania on anything from Kowa.

John

Allbinos seems to attract quite a lot of international attention, so it's surprising that Leica should show such disinterest.

Some years ago I asked my dealer to procure an 8x50 UV. He was informed by Leica that they no longer considered him a dealer as he had failed to meet their minimum turnover requirements. I was reluctant to go elsewhere and eventually bought an 8x56 SLC, so that was a lost sale for Leica.

In contrast, Troubador gets his hands on anything new from Zeiss and likewise Piergiovanni of Binomania on anything from Kowa.

John
Noted...

I just paid $239 for a pair of Vorex 12x50 Diamondback HD binos and looking through them the optics are excellent. I like to look at moss and bark on tree about 40 feet from my house and if the surface looks 3-dimensional from edge to edge the optics are very good.

IQ is on par with my Swarovski 10x32 binos and my other 10x full size binos. The Vortex 12x50 may not withstand the abuse of a $2700 pair from Zeiss or Swarovski but this is not a concern at their price.

There is after all only so much room for improvement with optical glass and shape formulations that are possible even with the advances in technology (most of which occured in the 1990's. It would be interesting to do a "blind" testing of the newer $500 binos against $2500 ones produced prior to 1990 and see how they compare.

NIKON 12x50 EX, in polish language ...

The article also includes an x-ray image of Nikon Action EX 12x50's optical construction from Photo Watchers *
(with a 2 lens objective and what seems to be a 4 lens eyepiece in a 2, 1, 1 configuration):

Nikon Action EX 12x50 CF.jpg

* The image is by Obserwatorek - and the eyepiece has a 5 lens construction - see posts #21 and 22 below.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back