• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona birds ID request (1 Viewer)

Semiramis

Hi

Attached are some photos from an Arizona trip in late May / early June this year. My first trip to the USA, so I was not 100% sure about some sparrows, vireos and flycatchers.

Here is a first batch:

Photo 1: taken at Florida Wash near Madera Canyon
Looks like a Botteri’s Sparrow to me. Correct?

Photos 2: grassland/prairie on Highway 61 two hours west/southwest of Sierra Vista, only a few miles north of the Mexican border
Savannah Sparrow?

Photo 3: bottom of Madera Canyon/Proctor Road
One of the vireos. The sun makes it look greener than it appeared in my binoculars, but still olive greyish appearance overall.

Photo 4: Sonoita Creek Reserve
Song Sparrow?

regards,

Sjef

Attachments

• Photo 1A.jpg
    Photo 1A.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Photo 2A.jpg
    Photo 2A.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo 2B.jpg
    Photo 2B.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo 4B.jpg
    Photo 4B.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Photo 3A.jpg
    Photo 3A.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 59
Thanks !

Instead of Savannah Sparrow I also thought of Grasshopper Sparrow, but not sure which species is more likely.

On all photos I made there appear to be yellow spots/streaks on the wing (I don't think it is an artefact/light issue), which Savannah Sparrow does not appear to have so maybe Grasshopper Sparrow is a better match.

May and June are good months for Grasshopper Sparrow in the grasslands of Southern Arizona. I’ve seen them between Sierra Vista and Sonoita a number of times.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back