• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Armenia 12 to 25 May 2018 (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
This was what you might call a hybrid trip for my wife and I, originally planned to consist of one week working and generally helping at a refugee centre for Armenians displaced from Syria in the north of the country with a few other visitors, then a second week of just the two of us travelling around Armenia, visiting a few birdy sites as well as some of the ‘less travelled roads’ of the country. Because we were transporting various essentials for the refugees we weren’t able to take my ‘scope and tripod which cost us a few species (mainly waders at Armash Fish Ponds).

In the end it turned out that some touristy stuff had been organised for the first four days so our time spent ‘being useful’ was somewhat reduced. Six of us were based at a friend’s apartment on a busy street in the centre of the capital, Yerevan for the first four nights, then two nights at the centre in Spitak. The two of us then spent two more nights in Yerevan before we set off to explore (and do some birding!), we stayed two nights in Vayk, and one night each in Tsapatagh (Lake Sevan north shore), Idjevan and Dilijan before returning to Yerevan for our middle of the night flight back.

Although it’s not too difficult to find accommodation on arriving in a town, we had booked our overnight stops before leaving France. Similarly, we booked cars (a huge one for the 1st week and a Lada Niva for the 2nd:eek!:) with Europcar who now have a desk in arrivals at Yerevan airport as well as in the city centre. This meant we could pick up the first week’s vehicle on our arrival at the airport, change it for the Niva at their city centre office a week later, and drop it off at the airport the night we left to come home, they were very helpful.
After having lived in Lebanon, driving in Armenia was a breeze, speed limits and traffic lights are respected (lots of speed cameras!), though the state of roads apart from the major routes was generally poor, lots of potholes or sudden change from tarmac surface to dirt/stones, especially inside villages.

The cost of food, accommodation and fuel for cars was much cheaper than in Western Europe. We took Euros with us and changed for Armenian drams as and when needed, thus avoiding using bank or credit cards. All the decent sized towns had currency exchange bureaux. Outside of Yerevan we found little English or French was spoken, Russian is the most commonly used second language, we had learnt a little bit of Armenian before the trip, my wife had even learnt how to read the Armenian alphabet which helped when road signs were only in Armenian (though most had the Latin alphabet version of the village/town on them anyway).
We found the Armenian people to be very friendly and hospitable, men are respectful towards women and the crime rate is low. Tourism is very important for the country’s economy, unfortunately Armenia doesn’t have natural gas or oil and most industry collapsed with the end of the Soviet Union, the borders with Turkey and Azerbaijan have been closed since the Nagorno Karabakh dispute in the early 1990s so all land transported goods arrive either through Georgia to the north or via the one border crossing with Iran to the south.

May is known to be the rainiest month of the year and it did indeed rain at some time or other on all but our penultimate day, fortunately never for more than an hour or so though sometimes there were spectacular thunderstorms. Temperatures around Yerevan and the southern plain and wadis were around 24°C when sunny, up around Lake Sevan it was cooler (18°) and obviously at the mountain passes, especially if the wind was blowing.
12 May
After our midnight arrival, it was a leisurely start and late breakfast, followed by a (long) walk around the city’s sights. I had briefly visited Yerevan two and a half years ago, and noticed that a number of the small parks in the city had since been built on, or were in the process of being developed, a shame as these green spaces are part of the charm of the place (plus one of them had breeding Shikra a few years back!). Rook were nesting in our noisy street’s trees which was a surprise, the parks in the centre held Blackbird, Great Tit, House Sparrow and Goldfinch, plenty of Swift screaming around, plus city dwelling Barn Swallow and Hooded Crow. After such a late (and hearty) breakfast we kept going well into the afternoon, eventually stopping for a drink at the top of the Cascade near the monument dating from the 1970s commemorating 50 years of Armenia being a Soviet Union Republic (unlike Lenin’s statue, this monument has rested untouched since Armenia’s independence upon the USSR’s demise). The big park at the top was interesting with Hoopoe, Crag Martin, White Wagtail, Spotted Flycatcher, Greenfinch plus singing Lesser Whitethroat and Common Rosefinch. Jackdaw and Magpie also around. The White Wagtails were of the dukensoiniusis race, with a large white panel on the closed wing. A couple of Spotted Flycatcher were also busy, er, catching flies. I was surprised to see a Peregrine flying around the monument but discovered later that a pair nest in the city.

Attachments

• Yerevan.jpg
    Yerevan.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Republic Square.JPG
    Republic Square.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Hoopoe flying 1.jpg
    Hoopoe flying 1.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 104
This was what you might call a hybrid trip for my wife and I, originally planned to consist of one week working and generally helping at a refugee centre for Armenians displaced from Syria ...

And good on you. Totally disgusted by Hungary that this week is drafting legislation to make it a criminal offense to even give food to a refugee, so truly uplifting to see some normal humanity exists amongst us.

Looking forward to the birding accounts too :t:

Good on you Rich - just please tell me you didn't take any of them across a desert.....? ;)

Nah, couldn’t find enough sand to show off my driving, er, skills. Did manage to get stuck in a field for a while till Véro persuaded me to get out and see WHY we were stuck, tt, back seat drivers eh?

And good on you. Totally disgusted by Hungary that this week is drafting legislation to make it a criminal offense to even give food to a refugee, so truly uplifting to see some normal humanity exists amongst us.

Looking forward to the birding accounts too :t:

Well done :clap:. We totally agree with Jos here. We have been postponing a trip to Hungary because we too are disgusted by the way things are going there. Every year when it's "where are we going on holiday" time we leave Hungary until the next, but the situation seems to be getting worse rather than better. |=@|

I really look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

I think this is what’s called ‘ethical birding’ - I can tell you from personal experience of welcoming a newly arrived Syrian family in the UK and spending time with them, when they have lost relatives, home and Country, the inner warmth and civility towards others they still demonstrated was nothing short of miraculous.

I hope you can make a bit of difference (and find some good birds while doing so!)

Thanks All, to be honest, our meagre efforts feel like a drop in the ocean when you look at the overall tragedy that is Syria and I agree it's scandalous the way some countries are treating these poor people, it's as if they've forgotten how their own people were helped in the not too distant past....
Will add the next instalment soon :t:

13 May
It’s funny how I can walk around in the countryside for a day with no problem, but doing the same in a city exhausts me! I slept like a log! I forgot to mention our guide for the Yerevan walkabout day was a Syrian refugee from the large Armenian community in Aleppo, sad that 100 years after their ancestors were forced off their land in what is now eastern Turkey, present-day Armenians have fled for their lives from Syria and Iraq after having lived in those countries in peace in the interim.
Sunday saw me tackling the mean streets of Yerevan in the tank, er, Toyota Land Cruiser (same thing almost) as we went west from the capital on a day when we were to go to two of Armenia’s most-visited sites, first off the cathedral complex at Ejmiatsin. The first church was built there in the fourth century and the cathedral has one wall dating from the fifth, pretty amazing when you read Armenia’s history, with all the invasions, conquering armies and general destruction over the centuries it's surprising anything was left standing. Being a Sunday it seemed that half of Yerevan was there, very nice gardens surrounding the cathedral and various other churches and buildings belonging to the Armenian Orthodox Church. There was some beautiful singing by the choir inside the cathedral and no pews or chairs which is normal in Armenian churches. Although I had my binoculars with me opportunities for their use in the complex were limited, in flight views of woodpecker sp and calls that made me think Syrian, single flyover Sparrowhawk sp, Buzzard and White Stork and best of all, several passing flocks of starlings, one of which passed close enough to confirm my suspicions - Rosy Starling!
After a long lunch (not because of slow service at the restaurant but because most of our group walked out to investigate the sound of Armenian drumming coming from a nearby school!) our Armenian friend (and organiser of the ‘group week’) Vince proved to be not the best navigator, but thanks to him directing me down the wrong road I glimpsed two Roller, a Honey Buzzard, Woodchat Shrike and breeding Common Starling plus more flocks of the Rosy variety. We were now on our way south-east to Khor Virap (‘Deep Dungeon’), the history is too long to recite here, but the current buildings are perched on one of several small, treeless hills overlooking the Arax plain and close to the Turkish border. I suspect that many people visit the site as much for its great views of Mount Ararat as for the history or religious significance;). Having climbed down the very steep ladder through the very narrow hole to look around the dungeon (3rd century, so no TV or washbasin!) and back up to the welcoming daylight I did some sneaky birding from the splendid viewpoint the site offered. One of the smartest birds was actually in the car park, a cracking male Ménétriés’s Warbler and looking and listening from the top of the hill I could hear Cetti’s Warbler, European Bee-eater, and Short-toed Lark and Hoopoes calling. A pair of the latter were nesting in a cave just below me and flying down to some scrubby areas to find food. One of them started chasing a passerine with a reddish tail, but it wasn’t a Redstart, it was my second-ever Rufous Bush Robin, 12 years after I found one in Lebanon! Common Kestrel and Marsh Harrier were towards the river where I could make out two immature larus gulls and a White Stork was strolling about. Apart from the corvids already seen in Yerevan, Swifts, House Sparrows and surprisingly (to me at least) Tree Sparrows were nesting in holes in the old walls.
Vince successfully navigated us back to Yerevan but managed to get us lost that evening just walking from the apartment to a Syrian restaurant, hilarity ensued when he went into a small restaurant and apparently a conversation as follows occurred: Vince ”Where’s the Syrian restaurant?” Lady in small restaurant “I don’t know, what’s wrong with my restaurant, why don’t you eat here?”
She helpfully rang around before finding the address then flagged down a taxi, a small one into which all SIX of us piled, ten uncomfortable minutes later we spilled out onto the street at the Syrian place, the taxi’s shock absorbers about to give up the ghost and the driver only asked us to pay 1Euro50 equivalent!
A couple of touristy photos from the day plus a Rufous Bush Robin and Rosy Starling (both actually taken in our second week, I didn’t use my big lens for bird photography in the first week, so any avian pics were taken later at other locations).

Attachments

• Inside cathedral.jpg
    Inside cathedral.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Khor Virap.jpg
    Khor Virap.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Rufous Bush Robin2.jpg
    Rufous Bush Robin2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Rosy Starling2.jpg
    Rosy Starling2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 93
Man's inhumanity to Man aside, the place, the trip and the birding sounds wonderful.

Love the Rosy Starling in the mulberry. Are they regular in Albania, or is this another sign of the invasion year?

Very much looking forward to hearing

Cheers
Mike

Man's inhumanity to Man aside, the place, the trip and the birding sounds wonderful.

Love the Rosy Starling in the mulberry. Are they regular in Albania, or is this another sign of the invasion year?

Very much looking forward to hearing

Cheers
Mike
It's Armenia not Albania:t: I think rosy starlings are regular in Armenia

Yes Jobbuq, trip reports suggest that Rosy Starlings are regular in Armenia, especially in May.

14 May
A very gloomy morning spent kicking our heels inside while some electrical problems were being resolved, so we set off later than planned for another two well-known tourist hotspots, Garni and Geghard. A nice surprise in the yard behind the apartment was a pair of Laughing Dove, a species that spread to Armenia in the early 1980s, and a town-dwelling Common Kestrel flew over. We headed north-east out of Yerevan into a more upland landscape, as we passed some imposing cliffs a Cinereous Vulture made the sky temporarily darker than it already was (four species of vulture breed in Armenia) and we spotted our first Black Redstart of the trip, a male of the ochruros subspecies with its orange lower belly.
Garni ‘Temple’ (though historians now think the building is more likely to be a fancy tomb for a ruler during the Roman occupation) is the only Greco-Roman building in Armenia, unusually for Armenia, you actually have to pay an entrance fee (by way of compensation they lend umbrellas to you to use if it’s raining, most welcome in the conditions we experienced!). It’s perched on the edge of a deep gorge in which you can see some fascinating basalt columns. Around 50 Red-billed Choughs were enjoying the windy conditions and in the village were Common Starling, Goldfinch, Hoopoe and House Sparrow.
Set in a narrow gorge with mountains all around, Gegherd Monastery is an impressive sight, part of the main building is cut into the cliff (there’s even a stream running through one corner) and there are several little chapels built higher up the cliff face. For once I didn’t feel conspicuous carrying binoculars as there were three (or four?) English birders with telescope etc scanning the rocks, the only other birdwatchers we saw in the whole fortnight! They had spotted a Western Rock Nuthatch, other additions to our slowly growing trip list were Jay, Raven and Crag Martin and Cetti’s Warblers were singing away. Bird of the site however was a Golden Eagle, a 2nd year individual which twice made short flights high up on the crags, buzzed each time by an angry Kestrel.
Because we’d set off late, we risked being late for our scheduled meeting in Yerevan with the Aleppo organisation, so it was hold onto your hats time as Vince took the wheel for the return trip. We just made it on time and had an interesting meeting, Aleppo organisation have helped extricate over 400 people from the Armenian community in devastated Aleppo in Syria during the conflict there and work with UNHCR and various other bodies to try and help the refugees find their feet and generally survive, approaching Armenian diaspora who may have apartments vacant in Yerevan with a view to housing the refugees. Vince works closely with them as the project in Spitak is looking for refugees who are suited to a more rural life, the goal being that they will eventually become self-sufficient through agricultural activity, Aleppo org interview new arrivals and propose visiting Spitak to potential participants.
Photos: Garni, Gegherd, Red-billed Chough and Western Rock Nuthatch

Attachments

• Garni.jpg
    Garni.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Gegherd.jpg
    Gegherd.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Red b Chough2.jpg
    Red b Chough2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Rock Nuthatch W2.jpg
    Rock Nuthatch W2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 67
15 May

Various factors led to this being a long day on the road rather than the planned quick meeting at UNHCR’s Armenian office followed by the transfer to Spitak to finally get some work done!
As someone who is at times cynical about the many administrative layers and red tape that appear to be prevalent in the UN and other large NGOs, I was pleasantly surprised at the dynamism and willingness to make a difference for the refugees demonstrated by the UNHCR Armenian team.
The meeting overran a little then we had to return to the UN building as one of the group had forgotten their jacket there but eventually we set off north-east from Yerevan, stopping for lunch on the shores of Lake Sevan, which is at 1900m altitude, 78kms long and 56kms wide at its widest point. After the locally caught fish lunch(delicious!), instead of going straight to Spitak we then headed to a village north of Ijevan (towards the Georgian border) as Vince had despatched a wide screen TV from France as a gift to the refugees and it was supposedly in a warehouse with the solar panels with which it had been transported.
En route between Yerevan and the lake we saw our first Long-legged Buzzard and it had now become clear that Hoopoe is a very common bird in Armenia! I drove throughout the day which meant that on at least three occasions I wasn’t able to get a good look at black and white woodpecker sp that flew across our bows, frustrating. The lakeside lunch stop was at Sevanavank, a rocky promontory (that was an island until a misjudged Soviet scheme lowered the lake’s level by 18metres in the 1940s) with two old churches/monasteries. In the 19th century it served as a sort of Armenian ‘Craggy Island’, monks who had misbehaved elsewhere were sent here to live under a harsher regime, in 1830 a visiting French historian reported that the rules included “no meat, no wine, no youths and no women” :eek!: The shoreline on this western side of the lake is a very popular summer holiday destination, hotels, restaurants and various beach complexes were numerous.
On the rocks below the old buildings was a colony of Armenian Gulls, the only other webbed-footed birds seen were passing Great Cormorant. Common Starlings were busy bringing food to their nestlings as were White Wagtails. A nice rufousy Steppe Buzzard drifted over and Common Whitethroats were doing their song flights. Invisible in a group of tall trees I could hear Caucasian Chiffchaff but there was no time to go and look for it.
We then continued north through an increasingly green and wooded landscape especially in the Dilijan and Ijevan valley areas. Arriving at the storage depot in a small village Vince was sad to discover that the lovely television he’d despatched for the refugee centre had never arrived with the solar panels, I tried to cheer everyone up by drawing attention to the rich birdsong around the area, Common Nightingale, Golden Oriole and Blackcap in particular. There were good numbers of Lesser Grey Shrike, Bee-eater, House Martin and Corn Bunting present too. A long drive to Spitak followed, via the industrial town of Vanadzor with its huge closed down chemical complex rusting away (but no longer polluting the town as it did until the demise of the USSR). Our only Black Kite of the fortnight was seen en route plus another Honey Buzzard.

Attachments

• Lake Sevan.jpg
    Lake Sevan.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 57
  • Bee eater2.jpg
    Bee eater2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 67
  • L g Shrike2.jpg
    L g Shrike2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 71
  • L l Buzzard and Kestrel.jpg
    L l Buzzard and Kestrel.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 85
16 May
A no-driving day spent working at the House of Esther refugee centre just outside Spitak.
Anyone interested in finding out about the project go to: http://www.globalhopenetwork.org/europe/blog and put keyword Armenia in the search box
I sneaked out before everyone woke up and explored the treeless hillsides behind the centre. Some very obliging species made me wish I’d brought my camera from Yerevan after all, Isabelline and Northern Wheatear were everywhere and both Woodlark and Skylark singing and showing well. Some Sand Martin passage was still going on and other species that I suspect were passing through rather than local breeders included a female Common Redstart, several Common Rosefinch, a Honey Buzzard, a Tawny Pipit, a Caucasian Chiffchaff and a Rufous bush Robin. Lots of wild grasses and spiny bushes near an old quarry held Linnet, Goldfinch, singing Ortolan and Corn Buntings and a pair of Rock Sparrow. An overgrown factory car park and the village gardens had Red backed Shrike, Common Whitethroat, Hoopoe (of course), Black Redstart, White Wagtail, House and Tree Sparrow. As the day warmed up I saw a light phase Booted Eagle, Steppe and Long-legged Buzzards, Kestrel, Raven, Hooded Crow and Magpie, 3 White Stork heading high south (?) plus Barn Swallows, Swifts and three European Bee-eater. In the afternoon when the storm arrived I tried to find the Quail that was calling close by but as you’d expect it remained hidden. All in all a nice reward for our gardening labours. I also had the first wild mammal sighting of the trip, what I believe were Persian Jirds keeping a look out for passing raptors near their burrows on the hillside.

17 May
We expected to spend a second day working at the centre today but the UNHCR folk were keen for us to see a refugee accommodation near Yerevan as they felt that some of the measures being taken at Spitak might be applicable there, so we left straight after breakfast to meet them late morning in Yerevan, much to my frustration as there were still a number of vegetables I wanted to sow having been rained off the evening before.
On the way back to Yerevan we saw our first Yellow Wagtail, a male of the black-headed feldegg race and at the Refugee building near Yerevan a Great Reed Warbler was “karra karra kreek kreek”- ing away. An early night was called for as I was to get up at 3am to take two of the party to the airport for their flight home to Geneva.

Attachments

• Spitak garden.jpg
    Spitak garden.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Isabelline Wheatear2.jpg
    Isabelline Wheatear2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Rock Sparrow2.jpg
    Rock Sparrow2.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Red b Shrike2.jpg
    Red b Shrike2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 64
18 May
No owls seen or heard on the middle of the night drive to the airport and back.
Mid – morning we handed in the monster Toyota and picked up our Lada Niva from Europcar’s city centre office, a rugged little car that looked ready for any terrain (and later proved to be the case!). Needing a ‘comfort break’ we ended up having a very expensive coffee and piece of cake in a swanky café (prices were as bad as in Geneva!), then set off to start exploring the country in our fashion (ie, off the main roads and stopping if we saw an interesting bird/flower etc etc). We headed west to Ejmiatsin and then north on minor roads towards Ashtarak, then north again with the idea of climbing past Amberd castle and up onto the slopes of Armenia’s highest mountain, Mt. Aragats. On the plain, Lesser Grey Shrikes, Hoopoe and Isabelline Wheatear were common and we saw our first Black-headed Buntings and Crested Larks. A couple of villages had breeding White Storks and flocks of Rosy Starlings were whizzing by.
Once we started climbing past Amberd, the habitat changed completely, mountain pasture interspersed with bushes, lots of emergency stops in the next 2 kms (luckily the road was quiet!) yielded some nice birds, Whinchat, Common Cuckoo, Ortolan, Rock Bunting, Red-backed Shrike, Golden Oriole, Mistle Thrush plus an uncooperative male White-throated Robin that flew off as we stopped next to it. Raptors were represented by Steppe and Long-legged Buzzards and a distant probable Lesser spotted Eagle. We were now entering the zone with juniper bushes, home to Radde’s Accentor (“numerous” and “common” according to trip reports I had read) and I was looking forward to the next 11kms or so to the lake which is as far as the road goes, home to Horned Lark, Alpine Accentor, Crimson-winged Finch etc. Just as I started the engine after the White-throated Robin stop my wife Véronique said “What’s that red light indicating?” Oh no, the fuel gauge, I’d forgotten that Europcar had for once given us a car without the usual full tank. Having seen no petrol stations in the previous 20kms and with no more towns or villages further ahead my plan was in ruins! We decided to therefore walk around the area and see what species we could find on these lower slopes but a huge thunderstorm complete with cold wind and torrential rain soon put paid to Plan B. A rather tense descent (mostly freewheeling) to the nearest village and some locals directed us to the local store where there was petrol, I went past it twice as I could see no pumps but upon stopping, a door was opened and there it was (see photo). I managed to further disgrace myself by flooding the road with petrol as the pump didn’t automatically stop once the tank was full. So not a successful Radde’s Accentor quest :-C. We had a rendezvous with Karen Aghababyan of the Armenian Birdwatching Association in Yerevan to get to so unfortunately had no time to try and ascend the mountain again (one for our next visit then :t:).
We were meeting Karen for two reasons, I wanted to give him a copy of my book A Guide to 200 Common Birds of Lebanon as Armenia and Lebanon are both starting to see a growth in interest in birds and nature conservation and my book is aimed at beginners, so perhaps a model for countries like Armenia to copy, secondly Karen organises permits for access to the famous Armash Ponds, a must for any birder visiting Armenia and payment for same is made through him.
In some of the trip reports I have read of birders trying to get into the ponds complex without paying by chatting up a fisherman, or driving onto private land, one report even suggested that the 10 Euros per person payment was simply lining the pockets of corrupt Armenian birders. Over a nice Armenian beer outside one of central Yerevan's bars, Karen (who lectures in Natural Sciences and Environment Management at the Armenian American University) explained how important it was that there is visibility regarding numbers of visitors, it took a lot of negotiating with the Armash owners before they agreed such access and the knock-on benefits of environmental tourism need to be evident, so I would encourage any birders to do like us.
For those of you on Facebook, it’s most appreciated if you contribute to the ABA’s page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254072219772/
and Karen can organise guided days for those who either aren’t driving themselves or have a species target list that they are keen to achieve, his email is: [email protected].
Among Armenia's species “specials” as far as a Western Palearctic birder is concerned are Persian Wheatear, the two Rock Nuthatch sp, Upcher’s Warbler, Green Warbler, Grey-necked Bunting, Red—fronted Serin, Caucasian Chiffchaff, Semi-collared Flycatcher, Levant Sparrowhawk, Caspian Snowcock, Caucasian Black Grouse, Bimaculated and Lesser Short-toed Lark, Radde’s Accentor, Asian Crimson-winged Finch and White-tailed Lapwing and I’ve probably missed a few others, it depends where you’ve birded before of course!

Attachments

• The shy petrol pump.jpg
    The shy petrol pump.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Black h bunting male.jpg
    Black h bunting male.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Whinchat2.jpg
    Whinchat2.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Rock Bunting2.jpg
    Rock Bunting2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 68
19 May (morning)
Armash Ponds
We were staying for two more nights in Yerevan, the apartment is on a lively street near the city centre, so an interrupted night’s sleep led to us setting off on our day trip to Armash Ponds later than planned, the sun was already up and the twin summits of Mt Ararat looked magnificent as we sped south, the journey took an hour and a half. After a slight delay at the entrance gate while the guards telephoned Karen, we drove left, along to the first pond and parked the car, intending to have a good walk around. The site is enormous and in retrospect I should have asked Karen for a few tips on the best parts, also (hindsight is a wonderful thing) we should have bought some food and drink en route, there is no shade and we had just two small bottles of water. Anyway, enough of my incompetence, what about the birds!
The wet meadow immediately to the left of the entrance held several pairs of Black-winged Stilt, a couple of Common Redshank keeping their heads down and four White-tailed Lapwing, quite tolerant of our proximity as we stopped right next to them. A close Glossy Ibis showed off beside the track too. The lack of a telescope hampered us in terms of identifying distant (and into the light) waders thereafter, I identified a closer Green Sandpiper, but the rest remained wader sp.
White-winged Terns were hawking for insects and Armenian and Black-headed Gulls (immatures in both cases) were about, waterfowl comprised Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Ferruginous Duck and Red-crested Pochard. Grebes were represented by Great-crested and Little, plenty of Coot and there was a constant to-ing and fro-ing of Pygmy Cormorants. Also present were Grey, Purple, Night and Squacco Heron, Little Egret and a White Stork. The only raptors seen were Marsh Harriers and Common Kestrel.
One striking feature was the number of Common Cuckoos, they were everywhere to be seen, at one moment I had four chasing each other across the water. This may be a reason for the rather subdued birdsong in the reeds, we heard no Paddyfield or Moustached Warbler for example, Cetti’s, Reed, Great Reed and Savi’s Warblers sang occasionally but generally it seemed quiet for mid-May. A few Bearded Reedling dashed about. We kept checking any Bee-Eaters we saw but all were European. Getting rapidly dehydrated we returned to the car and chugged along the tracks between some of the ponds, adding a handsome Black-headed Wagtail as we did so. Eventually we turned up a rutted track deciding it was OK to do so as there was a posh 4x4 parked further along and a man with two boys fishing. Just beyond him three birds were perched on the wires, Blue-cheeked Bee-Eaters!! I fired off a photo through the windscreen but as I carefully started getting out of the car to have a clearer view one of the guards drove up and pointed at the fence to our left and made the ‘closed’ cross sign with his arms, it was the Turkey – Armenia border fence! So not the wisest place to be prowling around with a camera. The Blue-cheeked had flown off upon his arrival but I was a happy chappy to have seen them. We made a brief visit to the right of the gatehouse where we found a long dried-up pond (long as in time, not size) with saltwort vegetation, a couple of Lesser Short-toed Larks flushed as we got out of the car, a Hoopoe couple were bringing food to their nestlings under a shed roof, but a rather large and noisy dog deterred us from wandering too far. It was now very hot and we were flagging a bit so reluctantly left Armash to look for a place to buy food and water, having undoubtedly not discovered all the site has to offer. Between the entrance and the main road were orchards with Tree Sparrow, Black-headed Bunting, Rufous Bush Robin and Crested Lark visible – and more Hoopoe of course.

Attachments

• Blue-cheeked Bee eater2.jpg
    Blue-cheeked Bee eater2.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Cuckoo2.jpg
    Cuckoo2.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 69
  • White tailed Lapwing2.jpg
    White tailed Lapwing2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 75
  • White winged Tern2.jpg
    White winged Tern2.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 70
Ooof!! Blue-cheeked Bee-eater & White-tailed Lapwing in the same photo set, that's damaging! Some great birds there Richard.

19 May (afternoon)
Vedi gorge

Armash Ponds is one of those ‘must go to’ places for birders visiting Armenia, the other location that always seems to feature in the trip reports I’ve read is Vedi Gorge (or gorges, as two get mentioned as a rule). Near mythical Western Palearctic species Mongolian Finch has been claimed in the past, Trumpeter and Desert Finch more recently and Grey-necked Bunting breeds in the vicinity. We had planned to visit the area on the 20th, but as we left Armash sooner than expected as we were faint from lack of nourishment(!) and as Vedi was only a few kms off the road back to Yerevan we opted to have our now purchased picnic late lunch in the area.

Vedi itself is a small town surrounded by fertile plain, orchards numerous, but rearing up to the east of the town are dry, sandy coloured hills, fissured with wadis, making a striking contrast. Turning left at the only traffic light in Vedi we drove to the end of the paved road and through the yard of a big, dilapidated farm complex of buildings – well I have to own up here – that’s the way we should have gone, but I turned off to go through the yard of a smaller farm on the right, stubbornly ignoring Véro’s suggestion that perhaps it was the wrong way. Eventually the track petered out by some apricot trees and in trying to turn round I got the Niva stuck, something that should be impossible in this tough little car. Again, after some wise, but increasingly forceful suggestions that I get out of the car to see why we were stuck, I did just that and found we were straddling a ditch:eek!:. Thankfully with my extensive experience of off road driving in Israel and elsewhere (no comments please, BirdboyBowley) I managed to extricate us and back onto the right track.
Approaching the wadi was what must be Vedi’s old (or perhaps current?) rubbish discharge area, a real eyesore, but the Rufous Bush Robins, Hoopoes, Crested Larks and Isabelline Wheatears didn’t seem to mind. A final orchard held Black-headed Buntings, Golden Oriole, Red-backed Shrike and unusually skulking Corn Buntings before the gorge closed in on both sides.
Although it was early afternoon and stiflingly hot there was a reasonable amount of avian activity, White Stork, Buzzard and Griffon Vulture drifted over and a Stock Dove flew off from a cliff face. Parking further up the gorge and walking down almost to a disused swimming pool I was delighted to see song-flighting territorial Finsch’s Wheatears, a species I’d only ever seen in winter elsewhere. Also present but less numerous were Black-eared Wheatear and it was great to be able to compare Eastern and Western Rock Nuthatches, both species coming down from the gorge sides to bushes on the wadi floor. A pair of Upcher’s Warblers were busy, the male singing a lot and the female collecting nesting material and a nice dark brown Caucasian Chiffchaff briefly showed itself before melting away. More Black-headed Buntings were present on the gentler slopes of the gorge and the wadi resounded to these various species’ songs. A low sandstone-like bank had Rock Sparrow and Bee-eaters nesting. The long drive back to Yerevan was highlighted by more Rosy Starling flocks and a single Common Tern patrolling a roadside irrigation channel just south of the city.

Attachments

• vedi gorge.jpg
    vedi gorge.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Finsch's wheatear.jpg
    Finsch's wheatear.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Rock Nuthatch E.jpg
    Rock Nuthatch E.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Upcher's Warbler.jpg
    Upcher's Warbler.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 69
20 May
Heading south-east

We now left Yerevan for our 5 day pootle around the backwaters (or backroads more like) of rural Armenia, initially driving straight back down to Vedi for a brief morning return visit to yesterday’s gorge, followed by a longer walk around a second wadi just east of the town. It was pleasantly cool and rainclouds were gathering as we parked up by the old swimming pool and small patch of reeds at the entrance to the gorge. The ‘usual suspects’ from the previous day were all present but also singing sporadically from somewhere close by was our first Grey-necked Bunting! But where was it? Clearly not perched up on top of a bush like its obliging Black-headed cousins it seemed to be singing at ground level, agonisingly near to us and we walked slowly closer. Suddenly a male Finsch’s Wheatear swooped behind the nearest scrubby bushes and out shot the bunting with the Finsch’s in hot pursuit. I managed to briefly clock the dull grey head and reddish-brown underparts as it banked round the rocky slope but the ‘viewing’ was over in a flash, leaving me less elated than I would normally be on seeing a species for the first time. We retired a sensible distance from the reeds which must have had a little water around them and watched as a few birds came to drink, but no more Grey-necked Buntings in the 15 minutes we remained. Some compensation was provded by a very frisky pair of Woodchat Shrike who amused us with their courtship antics. A proper birding trip would spend a good while at this spot and be rewarded with more I’m sure but lightweights like us were now more focussed on our food requirements, especially as we’d left Yerevan two and a half hours earlier. So we stopped in Vedi town and at a little café had a nice slice of home-made pizza and a delicious savoury bread that reminded us of the manooshi that we remembered from Lebanon and Syria. We headed east out of Vedi and at the entrance to the next village of Dashtakar turned left alongside the river, the banks littered with the carcasses of old cars and assorted rubbish. A bit further along were apricot and mulberry trees and – finally – a flock of Rosy Starlings that were actually feeding instead of zooming about as all our previous flocks had been! After enjoying the feeding spectacle we continued alongside the river. Rollers and Bee-eaters were nesting in holes on a cliff face. We parked up just where the track became very flood damaged and walked ahead, the gorge opened out and there was a large grassy area beyond a bend in the river which though flowing nicely was easy enough to cross. A Little Ringed Plover flushed from right in front of us, then another started display flying and a third flew downstream, an unexpected sight. In the grassy area Linnets, Short-toed and Crested Larks were feeding. Rather than follow the river upstream in a gorge to our right we opted to go left and entered a narrow gorge, some interesting lizards were scurrying along the sandy floor of the wadi and we had good views of Finsch’s Wheatear, Rock Sparrow, Eastern Rock Nuthatch, Upcher’s Warbler and Caucasian Chiffchaff. Stock Doves were nesting in fissures in the rocky gorge sides and there was a natural rock arch to admire, tamarisks were flowering. Overhead a Long-legged Buzzard was being harassed by a Common Kestrel, and a dark-phase Booted Eagle drifted by. Exploring the two Vedi gorges properly deserves a whole day so next time we visit Armenia that’s what we’ll do!
Instead of taking the main road east with its Iranian lorries struggling up the hills we chose to follow a minor road which went through some lovely green rolling hills, a stark contrast to the wadis and dry mountains rising up to the north. As we crested one hill at around 1700m altitude a Caucasian Green Lizard crossed the road and the roadside verges and field were full of wild flowers, the roadside wires were dotted with Black-headed and Corn Buntings and Common Whitethroats. We stopped at the highest point before the road descended towards the Arpa valley, there our first Siberian Stonechat (ssp variegatus, formerly armenicus in Armenia) of the trip flew in front of us. I set off into the long grass with camera at the ready but the bird had flown (so the photo is of another individual that was more cooperative later in the week). However I came face to beak with a smart Tawny Pipit and further down the slope we began to see and hear Golden Orioles a’plenty. Eventually we joined the main highway and passed through the wine producing area around Areni. Roadside stalls were selling normal looking bottles of wine, but also 1.5l Coca Cola plastic bottles in their branded plastic wrapping. We read in our guide book that in fact these bottles are full of wine too, the Iranian lorry drivers buy them and more easily get the alcohol back into their country as the customs post doesn’t ask questions when ‘soft drinks’ are concerned !! An amusing incident occurred at a petrol station stop, a young man wandered over to me from the car in which he and a couple of other people were sitting and asked me if I was interested in buying some posh aftershave/cologne. I suggested it wasn't the real deal as instead of the packaging indicating Lacoste the dopes who had produced the contraband had branded the box Locaste:eek!: I wished him luck anyway. The next two nights were spent at a hotel in Vayk, meaning the next day would not involve too much driving for once.

Attachments

• tamarisk in wadi.jpg
    tamarisk in wadi.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 64
  • LRP2.jpg
    LRP2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Booted Eagle.jpg
    Booted Eagle.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Siberian Stonechat variegatus formerly armenicus.jpg
    Siberian Stonechat variegatus formerly armenicus.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back