• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Asian Golden Weaver female- Thailand June 2020 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

Attached bird is a bird I have ID as a Asian Golden Weaver. Phetchaburi Rice Fields and the area is full of Asian Golden and the Baya Weavers. Building nest etc.

I read in my book that the Asian Golden have a flesh coloured bill

Baya have a pale bill. The colour of the head and belly fitts with the book

The only thing I cannot fit to the description is the black bill.

Any one that can please help with the ID?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 1567.jpg
    1567.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1568.jpg
    1568.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 34

andyb39

It looks right in terms of plumage and coloration but I would expect the bill to be heavier and the lower mandible to be pale.

James Eaton

Trent Valley Crew
Asian Golden Weaver, correct. Bill shape is correct - Baya would be longer, and have the gape extending further.

Regarding plumage and bill colour I haven't found any reliable feature.

James

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
It looks right in terms of plumage and coloration but I would expect the bill to be heavier and the lower mandible to be pale.

Thank you!

Might be mud or dirt on the bill so the bill looks blackish. Otherwise it looks like an Asian. And it looks like the bird have "curled" the hair on top of the head as I cannot have seen this "fluffy" cap before

Thank you

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Asian Golden Weaver, correct. Bill shape is correct - Baya would be longer, and have the gape extending further.

Regarding plumage and bill colour I haven't found any reliable feature.

James

Thank you!!

Interesting with the gape. In my book the Asian Golden stops where the feathered face begins and the Baya seems to continue in to the feathered face.

Interesting for future ID

Thank you for the help again and confirmation

Kind regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread