• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (1 Viewer)

Boiling hot day here yesterday, around 28°C when I took this. This Blackbird was finding it all a bit hot and decided to do a spot of sunbathing. Taken with SW80ED and Fujinon TN.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_7787.jpg
    DSC_7787.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 75
Sharing some photos taken the past week.

TLAPO804, E-M5

Attachments

• P7210153.jpg
    P7210153.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 51
  • P7230173.jpg
    P7230173.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 52
  • P7230272.jpg
    P7230272.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 54
Thanks, Jules and Carlos.

Here are a few more. Shame about the poor framing of the Arctic Tern with snack (a Stickleback it looks like). That's the challenge with EVF lag.

E-M5, TLAPO804.
That scope is a pleasure to operate. Light and with a suitable angle of view for short-medium range photos.

Attachments

• P7210014.jpg
    P7210014.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 57
  • P7220320.jpg
    P7220320.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 48
  • P7220332.jpg
    P7220332.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 58
  • P7230231.jpg
    P7230231.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Good stuff Tord. like you say, shame the 3rd one wasn't bang on, it will come though.

Something different in flight. Spotted this small dragonfly in the garden yesterday and it was using this poppy seed head as its place to go back to after each hunting foray. Fairly simple just to set the scope up and trigger the shutter each time it came into land. Used ISO 3200 to get the speed up to 1/4000.

SW80ED 600mm and Nikon D3300

Paul.

Attachments

• Dragonfly3.jpg
    Dragonfly3.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Dragonfly2.jpg
    Dragonfly2.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Dragonfly1.jpg
    Dragonfly1.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 61
Good stuff Tord. like you say, shame the 3rd one wasn't bang on, it will come though.

Something different in flight. Spotted this small dragonfly in the garden yesterday and it was using this poppy seed head as its place to go back to after each hunting foray. Fairly simple just to set the scope up and trigger the shutter each time it came into land. Used ISO 3200 to get the speed up to 1/4000.

SW80ED 600mm and Nikon D3300

Paul.
Thanks Paul,

The issue is that, during a sequence, the EVF does briefly render the latest picture as captured by camera, not what the setup is pointing at. So any delay caused by panning too slow (usually the case for most sequences involving panning) will quite soon result in frames with background only, almost impossible to recover from. I see it happening every time when reviewing sequences. With an OVF it's easier to recover from, you have a higher chance catching up.

Nice Dragonfly. Did you operate the camera with (wireless) remote control?

Nice Dragonfly. Did you operate the camera with (wireless) remote control?

Just manually pressed the trigger as the speed was plenty fast enough. The only annoying thing I found out a couple of days later was I had the camera set to jpeg only. When I edited these images I did wonder why I was getting some banding in the dark background and now I know why.

Paul.

Hi Tord,
My E-M1 doesn't do that. There is the normal blackout, but not the brief flashing of the picture taken. I have it set NOT to display the picture on the display after capture. What about you? Could be a settings thing.

Hi Tord,
My E-M1 doesn't do that. There is the normal blackout, but not the brief flashing of the picture taken. I have it set NOT to display the picture on the display after capture. What about you? Could be a settings thing.

Hi Guys,

In Utility Menu > Rev View you can set the duration of the display after taking a photo. I have mine set at 0.5 sec. I like to have a quick view of the photo at it allows me to see if there is an obvious problem with it.

I also have a memory setting for BIF in C-AF mode where I set it to 0 sec.

Regards
Jules

P6030361.jpg
Finally gotten around to finishing some rough PP work on my pictures from Scotland this "spring/summer"... (more like late winter!).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42162009@N04/collections/72157656648862310/

Maybe 90% E-M1 + Canon 400/5.6, the rest with the little Oly 75-300 II.

Quite a number of times I wished I had had my 90/600 along, but that just wasn't possible, and the little Canon 400/5.6 fared pretty well, sometimes even with the Canon 1.4x Extender III. I wish there were a way to use my Olympus EC-14 together with the Canon 400. It is a LOT better than the Extender on my scope, and I would think it would also be better with the 400.

Lots of times I cursed myself for not having something like a 7D II along for AF, but I just can't warm to it. Do I want AF at the expense of IS? Think not.... To get IS I would have to get the new Canon 100-400 II, that isn't even close to the 400 prime at 400mm, so I could spent €3600 and get a camera with AF, a lens with IS, and less IQ at 400mm.... hmmmmm... :smoke:.

Hi Guys,

In Utility Menu > Rev View you can set the duration of the display after taking a photo. I have mine set at 0.5 sec. I like to have a quick view of the photo at it allows me to see if there is an obvious problem with it.

I also have a memory setting for BIF in C-AF mode where I set it to 0 sec.

Regards
Jules
Jules,
I have been using the camera with Rec View to 0 when shooting sequences, almost since the very beginning.

Automatic display single frames for quick check makes sense, though (Rec View > 0).

The user-perceived lag, or rather the feeling that you don't really know what you are shooting at when panning the camera is worse on the EM1 than the EM5.

View attachment 554206
Finally gotten around to finishing some rough PP work on my pictures from Scotland this "spring/summer"... (more like late winter!).

... snipped

Quite a number of times I wished I had had my 90/600 along, but that just wasn't possible,

I wish there were a way to use my Olympus EC-14 together with the Canon 400.
Some nice pics, in spite of the lousy weather.

That's the major reason I acquired the TLAPO804 - travel. It fits in the hand luggage. It accomodates the EC14. It's lightweight (2kg). It can easily be disassembled for cleaning. It can be operated hand-held. I'm considering getting rid of the heavy duty CNC rings and replace them with a solution similar to what you did, in preparations for next trip.

View attachment 554206

Maybe 90% E-M1 + Canon 400/5.6, the rest with the little Oly 75-300 II.

Quite a number of times I wished I had had my 90/600 along, but that just wasn't possible, and the little Canon 400/5.6 fared pretty well, sometimes even with the Canon 1.4x Extender III. I wish there were a way to use my Olympus EC-14 together with the Canon 400. It is a LOT better than the Extender on my scope, and I would think it would also be better with the 400.

Lots of times I cursed myself for not having something like a 7D II along for AF, but I just can't warm to it. Do I want AF at the expense of IS? Think not.... To get IS I would have to get the new Canon 100-400 II, that isn't even close to the 400 prime at 400mm, so I could spent €3600 and get a camera with AF, a lens with IS, and less IQ at 400mm.... hmmmmm... :smoke:.

Hi Dan,

Nice photos ! I like the way your site is organized on Flickr. The thumbnails of different sizes with the descriptions that show up only when hovering with the mouse is nice.

Here, I'm slowly preparing V.5 of my Web site using LightRoom/WordPress plugins from TTG. Should be ready by 2025 at the current speed of development...

Regards
Jules

Jules,
I have been using the camera with Rec View to 0 when shooting sequences, almost since the very beginning.

Automatic display single frames for quick check makes sense, though (Rec View > 0).

The user-perceived lag, or rather the feeling that you don't really know what you are shooting at when panning the camera is worse on the EM1 than the EM5.

Yes, I have been experiencing this too. As far as I am concerned, that's a small price to pay for a WYSIWYG viewfinder.

View attachment 554206

. Do I want AF at the expense of IS? Think not.... To get IS I would have to get the new Canon 100-400 II, that isn't even close to the 400 prime at 400mm, so I could spent €3600 and get a camera with AF, a lens with IS, and less IQ at 400mm.... hmmmmm... :smoke:.

very nice. :)

regarding af - have you given the Kipon EF<>m43 AF adapter any thoughts? not inexpensive, but having the canon lens already, it might be worth it

(OR - am I wrong assuming this may only (yet) work on Pana bodies?)

Supposedly works OK on the E-M1, but the 400/5.6 is not on the list of compatible lenses. My guess is it would drain too much juice from the batery.
Maybe in the future....

Red-backed shrikes

I spotted the male too, but unfortunately did not get any presentable photos of him. Was lucky to keep an eye on the female as she took off, grabbed a tasty Dragonfly and landed in the deep scrub to devour it.

E-M5, TS102 (~80% crops)

Attachments

• P8120032.jpg
    P8120032.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 145
  • P8120045.jpg
    P8120045.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I like Shrikes! For some reason they apeal to me. We get Red Backed and Great Gray here. Clever little guys. Hope they are still there in a couple of weeks!

After the cold and wet of Scotland we have had a non stop heat wave for the last 6 weeks! Well in to the mid and upper 30's every day, and no rain. Today is supposed to be the last really hot day, so it will start raining just in time to pack the car and head north on Tuesday!

;-)

I like Shrikes! For some reason they apeal to me. We get Red Backed and Great Gray here. Clever little guys. Hope they are still there in a couple of weeks!

After the cold and wet of Scotland we have had a non stop heat wave for the last 6 weeks! Well in to the mid and upper 30's every day, and no rain. Today is supposed to be the last really hot day, so it will start raining just in time to pack the car and head north on Tuesday!

;-)
Thanks Daniel,
We have both species here too. With some luck there could still be some Red-backed stragglers in early Sep though most would have left by end Aug. They are found locally, so far I have not seen any in Falsterbo. The Great Grey are quite widespread but will not show up until late fall/winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back