• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroshop.Eu (3 Viewers)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Hi all. Just wanted to post a quick bit about my experience with Astroshop.eu.

After reading Lee’s review, I got very interested in a pair of the Meostars. With a big Birthday coming up, I managed to scrape together some cash. (Gifts from family)

Meopta is not easy to find in the UK at all, and the ones that were were way out of my price range. Found them on Astoshop though at a much better price. My concern being that I’d be whacked for tax when they arrived. The ad said that VAT was paid though so I fired off a couple of e-mails. Response was very prompt, and Jimmy assured me there would be nothing extra to pay.

An order was placedand they said they would be shipped in 1-2 weeks. Well. They arrived today after just over a week. Really well packaged and whilst I’ve only had a look through them in the back garden, their construction feels like my Trinovids. They feel like quality.

Anyway, on that basis I’d recommend Astroshop. Many thanks to Lee for his fantastic (as usual) review. Hopefully the Meoptas will be coming up to the Outer Hebrides with me in May.

Rich

Attachments

• 6B1525DC-C0E3-4214-98B4-230C21A0FDDD.jpeg
    6B1525DC-C0E3-4214-98B4-230C21A0FDDD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 57
  • 4DC5312D-1986-48FE-B642-D58A3FA5D542.jpeg
    4DC5312D-1986-48FE-B642-D58A3FA5D542.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 57
Hi Chris.

10x32 Meostar. Wanted something to compliment my 8X42, and a little extra reach on trips when I don’t take my scope.

Hoping to head up to Outer Hebs in May. Will give them a good workout then.

Rich

Hi all. Just wanted to post a quick bit about my experience with Astroshop.eu.

After reading Lee’s review, I got very interested in a pair of the Meostars. With a big Birthday coming up, I managed to scrape together some cash. (Gifts from family)

Meopta is not easy to find in the UK at all, and the ones that were were way out of my price range. Found them on Astoshop though at a much better price. My concern being that I’d be whacked for tax when they arrived. The ad said that VAT was paid though so I fired off a couple of e-mails. Response was very prompt, and Jimmy assured me there would be nothing extra to pay.

An order was placedand they said they would be shipped in 1-2 weeks. Well. They arrived today after just over a week. Really well packaged and whilst I’ve only had a look through them in the back garden, their construction feels like my Trinovids. They feel like quality.

Anyway, on that basis I’d recommend Astroshop. Many thanks to Lee for his fantastic (as usual) review. Hopefully the Meoptas will be coming up to the Outer Hebrides with me in May.

Rich
I will second your positive comments on Astroshop. I have bought quite a few binos from them and their service has always been impeccable. Sometimes their prices might seem higher than those of the competition but they have a price matching policy and they always match the best price that you can find at official retailers.

Sometimes their prices might seem higher than those of the competition but they have a price matching policy and they always match the best price that you can find at official retailers.
Hi Peter,

That's just the market power of Astroshop, by the way, the Teleskop-Express does the same.

In German astronomy forums, however, Astroshop is not that popular because they earn most of the money with inexpensive beginner telescope sets that are not really suitable, there are many complaints from beginners and consultants on the forums.

I am a little more critical of the shop ..

Andreas

Hi,

I have used both Astroshop and Teleskop Express (aka Teleskop Service Ransburg) w/o problems, the latter more often. Only had to return one item with Teleskop Express and this was not an issue.

Joachim

Last edited:
Sometimes their prices might seem higher than those of the competition but they have a price matching policy and they always match the best price that you can find at official retailers.
Update...

High-quality binoculars do not seem to be covered by the best price guarantee...

Leica Ultravid 7x42 Price Astroshop 2223, - Euro, absolute usury!
Photo trade best price 1699, -

Astroshop is not ready to get anywhere near the photo trade!
Astroshop and Telescope Service have absolutely exorbitant prices for high-quality optics (binoculars) I would advise everyone not to buy here naively, you burn a lot of money.

Andreas

Hi Andreas. The Meopta I purchased were c£150 cheaper than other prices. Difficult to compare though as they are hard to find in the UK.

Rich

Thanks Andreas and spot on. It’s difficult to compare prices in the UK as most big optics stores do not stock them. Mostly hunting type shops and the prices there are typically £950.

Rich

Thanks Andreas and spot on. It’s difficult to compare prices in the UK as most big optics stores do not stock them. Mostly hunting type shops and the prices there are typically £950.

Rich
Hi Rich,

clearly, from UK it is difficult to compare prices in Germany. I can only tell you from my own experience and a lot of research that astronomy retailers in Germany are at least significantly more expensive than smaller photoshops for slightly higher quality binoculars.
But anyway, I wish you a lot of joy with the beautiful Meopta!(y)

Andreas

After comparing prices I found the Astroshop price below average and they had the item in stock. I ordered yesterday morning and to my surprise the package arrived today, the day after! For price and shipping I am quite happy considering it was sent from Germany to Sweden in about one day!

Unfortunately I got a lemon Meopta B1 Plus 8x32 so now I will see how good their and Meoptas customer care is. This is the second Meopta with the same fault I have received - the first one bought through the agent in Sweden and sent back and now the second one from Germany has the same problem with the focusing wheel getting stuck and this time the right side of the binocular does not focus at all...

Some rough luck with the Meopta QC but I hope it will be resolved. I do like the little one, otherwise I would not have bothered trying one more time.

Unfortunately I got a lemon Meopta B1 Plus 8x32 so now I will see how good their and Meoptas customer care is. This is the second Meopta with the same fault I have received...
So much for the hint of "improved tolerances" in B1 Plus?

Haha, yes - to be fair the optics were impressive - but it does not help if the assembly guy (or gal) for that batch was all thumbs...
...maybe the parts were too precise to be hammered into place with a mallet. :)

Also, considering I tried the 8x42 at one and the same time as the 8x32 and the 8x42 was supersmooth in action I am starting to think that maybe the contruction/assembly of the 8x32 is something of a risk factor. Two out of two with the same problem and both 8x32's are from different batches and months of production too.

I haven’t used mine at all as they’re a Birthday present. Just got them out of the box just to check and the focus is very smooth in both directions.

It’s the B1.1 model 10x32

Rich

Thanks for chiming in. My Meopta 15x56 HD is smooth in both directions so that is my expectation.
Astroshop has sent me a return shipping label and a return form so they have been very forthcoming so far. It will be for a refund as that is how they operate so I am "free" to source another copy from other vendors as they did not have another 8x32 in stock.

Took some time but I have gotten word from Astroshop.eu that the refund is on the way on the faulty Meopta. That is sorted out then.
Unfortunately there are no Meopta 8x32 B1 Plus in stock anywhere in Europe that I can find.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back