• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Athlon Cronus G2 (1 Viewer)

Yes of course he’s selling them. That’s why I’m asking here if anyone has tried them.

BBR is for the previous generation but informative. Thanks

Just ordered a pair for $400 from Optics Planet. Will report when they get here. Will go head to head with my Monarch 7s

I have one. And it's currently my main 10x bino.
All I can say it's quite good for the price.

The colour seems neutral comparing to other chinese produced binos.
The sharpness is good and that goes almost all the way to the edge of the vision. (Sweet spot is large enough)
Brightness stays on the good side too. (For 10x42)
It seems to control okay with the ghost and he fog effect when you look at birght light source at night.
The grip is okay even it's a single hinge bino. There is enough space to grab around the barrel and it helps a lot with steady vision.
I saw some people complaining about the diopter dial & eye cups, but I set the diopter at 0 and the eye dups are okay for non glasses wearers atleast.

But comparing it with SW EL 10x32, SW NL 10x42, I felt it's still a pretty good 'midrange' bino.
(Fov, brightness are the biggest diffrence)

But just keep this in mind that this review is written by a newbie bird watcher. I'm also not a native English speaker so my review might have uncorrect words or expressions.
Others might give you better opinions :)

I'll attach a pic that I took with my Cronus gen2 with my Samsung M20(with shitty non ois camera) with only my hands just to give you the feeling of the view. (Its a Korean bulbul btw)

Attachments

• 20210325_162953.jpg
    20210325_162953.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

The sharpness is good and that goes almost all the way to the edge of the vision. (Sweet spot is large enough)
It seems to control okay with the ghost and he fog effect when you look at birght light source at night.
The grip is okay even it's a single hinge bino. There is enough space to grab around the barrel and it helps a lot with steady vision.
I saw some people complaining about the diopter dial & eye cups, but I set the diopter at 0 and the eye dups are okay for non glasses wearers atleast.

But comparing it with SW EL 10x32, SW NL 10x42, I felt it's still a pretty good 'midrange' bino.

But just keep this in mind that this review is written by a newbie bird watcher. I'm also not a native English speaker so my review might have uncorrect words or expressions.

I'll attach a pic that I took with my Cronus gen2 with my Samsung M20(with shitty non ois camera) with only my hands just to give you the feeling of the view. (Its a Korean bulbul btw)
We are all newbies when it comes to giving our opinions on something new in hand. If the view to you is good, that is all that matters.

Has anyone tried these? Here is one of several good reports I seen.

Upland, this is speculation based off of specs, appearance, features, etc., but I believe these are a clone/based off of what used to be the second generation Leupold BX-4 McKinley HD.

If they are as I believe they are, they are quite stout and robust binoculars with good handling, smooth focuser, and good eyecups. The optics are more impressive to me than say the Vortex Razor HD. My buddy has a pair of the Leupold BX-4 McKinley’s and I might even prefer them to the newer generation BX-4 HD’s for their superior glare control.

Of course, I could be completely off base here. I’m curious what your determination will be compared to the M7.

I think this is not a neutral „report“, the guy is selling this binocular
"During recent binocular comparisons we were really surprised with the performance of the Cronus G2. We compared it to other mid range binoculars, some at double the price, and they were our favorite."
Presumably the comparison was done against other binoculars they sell, so it's hopefully not terribly subjective. I would like to see a report of the comparison.

Sorry, but these reviews are driven by the hope that people buy recommended products, not neutral reviews.
See at the bottom of the webpage, where it reads „… As an Amazon Associate Backwoods Pursuit earns from qualifying purchases…“
Caveat emptor! Amazon rewards dozens of companies like Backwood Pusuits fir their reviews.

Nice review of the Cronus and many others here.
Interesting they ranked the Chinese made Cronus higher overall than the Maven B1, Tract Toric, Leupold BX-5, Leica Trinovid and one place behind its Chinese made sibling the Vortex Razor HD.

Vortex must be making a killing on the Razor HD @ $999 vs Athlon @ $499 for the Cronus.

Why the Monarch HG was not included in the group test is puzzling.

Yes it is interesting but it’s from a group not an individual which I like. Also not from a retailer. I do like that they back up their opinions with extensive review of each pair.

Agreed I thought a Monarch 7 and HG should’ve been tested too. I’ll do my head to head with the Cronus and M7 when they arrive. Have really enjoyed the views from my M7 so should be interesting. Couldn’t resist trying a pair for $400.

BTW I’m guessing they were having blackouts because of short eyecups. When I see the thin type like on the Cronus and others it almost guarantees they will be short and I will get blackouts. Have returned or resold many glasses because of short eyecups.

Thanks! First hands on report from a birdwatcher I’ve seen. Looking forward to trying my pair out when they arrive.

Nice review of the Cronus and many others here.
Some things in their rankings don't make since. For example, in the table, the Vortex Razor is #3 in the $1000 class, while the Meopta Meopro is #4. But in the written review, the Razor is #4, and the Meopro is #3. Same with Kowa Genesis and Meopta Meostar. I also noticed that they used eye strain as a factor in the rankings. That seems to be extremely subjective and dependent on the individual binocular more than the model.

I generally don't like binocular rankings in general, especially calculated from the average of a group of reviewers. There is so much subjectivity and personal preference that really makes the results nearly meaningless. In the review for the Vortex Razor HD, it is noted that some thought they were the best, while others didn't like them much at all. So they made the middle of the pack. It seems that this kind of rankings misleads undiscerning binocular buyers into thinking that the #1 bin will be the best for them, when it's all very subjective.

I too think that they really messed up by not including Nikon. That's the problem with retailer reviews. Unless they sell nearly every brand available, the reviews lack important models.

I'm looking forward to your review.

Ok, I just finished reading the reviews from the above posting.
That's a lot of binoculars to review. I think they did a great job overall.

However, one thing that stood out to me is that Chromatic Aberration was not a scoring factor in the review.
This is probably a higher priority in birding than with hunting. (Because our birding subjects usually have the sky in the background)
Hence, had a birding group reviewed the 26 pair of binoculars, the final rankings might vary quite a bit from what is presented here.

I tracked my two pair in the review and felt they were accurately rated. The Tract Toric was present and won in it's category of two pair. \o/
The Leica Trinovid was rated "middle of the pack" for $1000 pairs. However, amazing color rendition was brought up about the Trinovids, and... damn if that's not why I still have them.

Last edited:
Looking forward to checking mine out. Amazon sells almost every bino listed including Tracts. They did specially mention CA control as great in the Athlon. Also some members here have said great things about the Midas G2. I’m excited to try them in person rather than listen to people who are highly critical without having ever seen them. Maybe they won’t live up to the hype but what the heck I’m going to see what it’s all about especially since I can return them quite easily.

Hence, had a birding group reviewed the 26 pair of binoculars, the final rankings might vary quite a bit from what is presented here.
I think if any other group had reviewed them the results would vary quite a bit, due to sample variation, and the subjectivity of a group ranking.

@Upland, I'm not being critical of the Athlons, I am just doubting the overall accuracy of the review, since, in my opinion, such reviews are highly subjective. The Cronus sounds great from what I've read. I'm curious how they stand up to your Nikons.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back