• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Athlon Midas 10x42 gen 2 (1 Viewer)

Kobold

Germany
Hi every one!

I been searching long time for a 10x42 to replace an older Minox, and to add that size to my 10x32 and 10x25, both Zeiss Terra EDs.

Let's see, if I can get together what binos I had here for testing (all 10x42): Zeiss Terra ED, Vanguard Endeavor ED IV, Kowa BD II XD, Maven C1, Nikon Prostaff 7S, Nikon Monarch 7, GPO Passion ED, .....

The one Vanguard I had was very good, sharp wide to the edges, but was not centered right. I saw double for seconds after looking through these binos, and eyes hurt. After getting two replacements with other major problems I quit.

The Maven was very nice, but smelled very intense and bad, diopter was not right adjusted (15mm away from center both barrels been the same), and right barrel had clearance.

In some review about the Maven C1 someone wrote ..... buy the Athlon Midas! Never heard of Athlos, so did some research, and after that I bought the Athlon Midas 10x42 gen 2. I have to say that I do not like the look of these binos too much, I like more the Maven, Zeiss or GPO look and feel. But what counts is the image and function quality. I have to say I am very happy niw with the Midas. The sharpness is very nice, at the edges it gets smoother but only close to the edges. Diopter is perfect when on center as it should be. Focus wheel has no clearance, needs some force to get moved, but just the right amount, diopter ring is also moving just right to me, and the eye cups work well too. I never have the experience of not getting a sharp image, as it happens often with binos, when there is clearence in focus wheel, or one or both barrels. Sure you know what I mean, one time image is perfect sharp, next object you are watching image is not getting sharp, may be you overshooted and had to get back with focus.

As I do not have or had any other experience with Athlon binos, I can not say if I just had luck, or if this is the standard, when you buy this model. I would like to have the Athlon quality, and the look and feel (not the smell) of the Maven, but ..... I can live well with that, because now I finally found a 10x42 which is really fine for me.

May be you can try out an Athlon Midas gen 2 too, or include it in your choice, when searching a 10x42 or 8x42 binos.

:)

PhilR.

I have the 8x42 Gen 2 Midas, purchased as a loaner bino. I have to say that its level of performance came as a great surprise to me. It is easily as good as a Leupold Pro Guide HD, which in the USA is a binocular that costs a bit over $200 more than the G2 Midas ($289 vs. $499). Our Midas has an excellent focus wheel that is devoid of backlash, and has a subjective feel of a very good build quality. IMO the view is quite excellent, especially given its price. It is just as sharp and as bright as the PG HD. In fact, I've not ever seen two binoculars so evenly matched in performance, handling, and build. They really only separate when it comes to price, and the overall lower quality of the case/neckstrap of the lower-priced Midas. I also prefer the appearance of the G2 Midas over the PG HD too. The Midas isn't pretty, but I like it more than the boring battleship-grey of the Leupold.

The only caveat when it comes to recommending the G2 Midas is possibly the absence of long-term support. Athlon has been around for a while, but there is no telling at this time if they are going to be around for the long term such as Leupold has done, or crash and burn like Zen Ray, Styrka, and Brunton. But other than that, I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a 42mm bino in the $250-$500 price range to seriously consider the G2 Midas.

:)

p.s. love your wristwatches!

Tim J.

United States
I have two Athlon Midas binoculars (Green Version) 8 x 42mm ED and the 10 x 42mm ED. I looked at the GPO's before I purchased the Athlon's. First of all the (Green Version) has the better look cosmetically with the aggressive grips which
are a pleasure to use. Yes GPO's are nice but the are priced higher than the Athlon;s. Looking at the side by side comparison
the GPO's have a slight edege on paper but, the Athons have one of sharpest images in the market today. For the price, cosmetics and the quality you can't go wrong with the Athlon's. They have a lifetime warranty and an excellent customer
service experience. Athlon also makes high quality spotting scopes and rifle scopes.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread