• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATS 80 (1 Viewer)

Johnnyp67

United Kingdom
Hi
I have the chance to purchase a 10 year old ats 80 HD with 20-60 S zoom. It is in excellent condition with Swarovski case.
I was wondering if the zoom eyepiece will be of the same quality as today’s eyepieces ? Price is £1400

I’ve had experience in the past of losing clarity as you zoom in on a scope. I have to add this wasn’t a Swarovski scope.
comments greatly received
best wishes
john

I use a 12 yr old ATS80HD almost daily. No problems and still a great scope. 60x zoom is absolutely useable. I hear that due to subtle improvements in coatings there might be a 3-4% improvement in light transmission with the newest models, and the 25-50 zoom might be a tad better than the 20-60. I have a 30x wide ep too but use the zoom exclusively now. Once you go past 30x it is plenty wide enough for me.
I'm not sure if that 3-4% improvement was with the scope body or the eyepiece. Probably both..? A future upgrade for you might be to trade the zoom for the 25-50-depends how much you come to rely on the extra 10x.
As for the price, I don't know as I haven't compared current prices, but it doesn't sound too far off to me.

I use a 12 yr old ATS80HD almost daily. No problems and still a great scope. 60x zoom is absolutely useable. I hear that due to subtle improvements in coatings there might be a 3-4% improvement in light transmission with the newest models, and the 25-50 zoom might be a tad better than the 20-60. I have a 30x wide ep too but use the zoom exclusively now. Once you go past 30x it is plenty wide enough for me.
I'm not sure if that 3-4% improvement was with the scope body or the eyepiece. Probably both..? A future upgrade for you might be to trade the zoom for the 25-50-depends how much you come to rely on the extra 10x.
As for the price, I don't know as I haven't compared current prices, but it doesn't sound too far off to me.
Thanks for your reply , I was thinking along the same lines and am glad you’ve confirmed my thoughts
Thank you
John

Hi,

1400 with the old zoom is a bit on the high side, especially if it's not from a store... in focus has a used ATS 80 HD with the 25-50 wide zoom for that price currently.

Can you test the one with the 20-60 before buying?

Joachim

Hi,

1400 with the old zoom is a bit on the high side, especially if it's not from a store... in focus has a used ATS 80 HD with the 25-50 wide zoom for that price currently.

Can you test the one with the 20-60 before buying?

Joachim
Thank you
I will check that out.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back