• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATS and ATM scopes (1 Viewer)

Tanager

Hi,

My understanding is that the ATM is made from lighter materials than the ATS and is therefore an up grade over the ATS (?). Why then are they no longer available? where they optically the same or where there problems with the ATM version?

Cheers,

Mark

Yes, you are right, the present ATS is optically the same as the former ATM-HD. Why Swarovski stopped offering the lighter ATM, we can only guess, certainly there were not problem with the ATM-HD (I have this one and it is a fine scope).

I suppose that reason is that Swaro kept the ATS as a cheaper alternative line to its new top line, the ATX. Offering only the the aluminum housing probably helps to keep the price lower. Also, the weight advantage of the ATM might have kept some buyers from buying the more heavy ATX.

Thanks for that,

My reason for asking is that I have been playing with the idea of upgrading my 65mm ATS HD to the 80mm ATM HD version for a while.

Cheers,

Mark

As per Florian's comment, when I almost bought a discounted end-of-line ATM80HD a couple of years ago the dealer said he'd been told by the Swaro rep that the optics were the same in the ATM/ATS ranges but they needed to differentiate the new ATX series further from the existing models both on price and perceived marketplace. He should have added that the ATX is on a different planet to the older models ...

Chris A.

Agree with comments made by Florian & Chris. The ATS line existed before the ATM were introduced. Then, for reasons given above, Swarovski reintroduced the ATS when the ATX scopes were brought out.

The ATM scopes were optically a little better than the older ATS scopes that they replaced, but, due to 'silent upgrades' its quite possible that the newer ATS will be a little better again. So the older ATS are not the same as the newer scopes with the same name/designation. Always best to try the sample you buy as sample variation between units will likely account for further variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back