• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting birds (and wildlife) on a budget - looking for tips! (1 Viewer)

The property I should soon be moving into will have a suitably-sized garden (yay!), which is, unfortunately, grass-free (boo!).

I am looking to attract as many birds (and assorted wildlife) as I can, and would be really grateful for any budget-friendly tips on how to do so.

Thank you in advance!

We have a fair bit of wildlife within view of our home and I believe the following helps:
  • diversity of 'habitat' - tall dead trees, low dense shrubbery, trees with seasonal forage/berries, open 'yard' with native grasses (ideally)
  • water - we have a small stream, but I believe a bath or tub or something with water is a definite attraction
  • feeders - yes, it's cheating, but suet in winter and some seeds will attract a lot of birds that would otherwise be seldom/harder to view
  • minimize predators (keep housecat in ;-)
There will be others, I'm sure, with more specific and authoritative comments! I suggest telling something about what the space is like - urban, rural, climate, location, etc.

Thank you, @MiddleRiver! Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do in terms of grasses and trees, but water and birdfeeders are definitely something that can be sorted out. I don't own a cat, so that's one thing I don't have to worry about!

It's a small UK town - there is a tiny "city centre" not too far with shops and such, but so are fields and woodland!

...if grass not possible, I suspect planter (even large ag type tubs) with plants could help. Vegetation = bugs and bugs often = birds (or are fun to watch in their own right... e.g. pollinators).

A small pond, for birds to drink and bathe, insects to visit...perhaps dragon or damselflies. A patch of simple wildflowers, clover etc for bees, even in pots. Log pile for bugs. Two types of nest box - an open fronted alongside a hole entrance, using offcuts if you are okay with DIY. Couple of feeders.

Thank you, all! I've got plenty of ideas thanks to your help, I will start to plan it out and hopefully, by the time summer comes the garden will be much more bird/wildlife-friendly.

@KC Foggin - unfortunately, that won't be possible. It's a rented property as well, so I won't be able to make any changes to the actual ground surface (some sort of tiling).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back