• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX — Dark spots @ center of field (1 Viewer)

Greetings,

Have any ATX/STX owners/users noticed diffuse dark or grayish overlapping “spots” at the center of the field of view at 40+ power? (They appear regardless of what objective module is attached).
Although the view isn’t terribly compromised, these spots are admittedly distracting when scoping at higher magnifications. I’m going to send to Swarovski Optik for service to inspect the unit, but in the meantime I am wondering if any of the optical engineers out there — professional or otherwise — have any thoughts regarding what could be the issue(s).

Hi,

another try - is it possible that you see kidneybeaning? Can you make them go away by positioning your eye a bit farther away or closer to the eyelens?

Joachim

Joachim, repositioning my eye doesn’t help. It’s almost as if the center of the field of view is showing light fall off compared to the field edge. I’ll try to submit a photo to help illustrate.

Hi,

an image would help if you can get one. Also when you look into the objective lens with the eyepiece pointing into an overcast sky (or a well lit white wall) - what do you see?

Joachim

Greetings,

Have any ATX/STX owners/users noticed diffuse dark or grayish overlapping “spots” at the center of the field of view at 40+ power? (They appear regardless of what objective module is attached).
Although the view isn’t terribly compromised, these spots are admittedly distracting when scoping at higher magnifications. I’m going to send to Swarovski Optik for service to inspect the unit, but in the meantime I am wondering if any of the optical engineers out there — professional or otherwise — have any thoughts regarding what could be the issue(s).
I noticed something similar on my 65 ATS with 25-50x zoom...
I could focus on these Black specs which looked like holes in the coatings inside the eyepiece. I sent them back to Swarovski and they were repaired.

Question. Can you see past them if you focus on the image or is it possible to focus on them inside the eyepiece module ?

Cheers
Tim

Greetings,

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this issue ? I have just posted about an issue I am having with a slightly blur / dark circle in the Center of the image more noticeable when zoomed in

I'd suggest testing with the other eye, the one you don't usually use for viewing. If the phenomenon is the same irrespective of the eye you use, it is most likely the scope, whereas if the other eye doesn't see it or sees it differently, it is more likely your eyes. As the magnification goes up, the exit pupil reduces, and defects in your eye that are not visible at lower magnification become visible.

I'd suggest testing with the other eye, the one you don't usually use for viewing.

Hi,

good idea but Popeye has posted images of the dark spot in the other thread... which kinda rules out the eyes... He also didn't have this problem with a different eyepiece module (but dirt inside that one) - which rules out the objective.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back