• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX ocular module design (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Hi,
I am just wondering where I can find the design of the ATX mocular module open view & plan, with number of lenses, design, ...
Thanks in advance
Best regards from south west France
Yves

Hi,
I am just wondering where I can find the design of the ATX mocular module open view & plan, with number of lenses, design, ...
Thanks in advance
Best regards from south west France
Yves

Have you emailed Swarosvki? likely will be denied as patents and such are involved, but if you word it right and provide a sustainable reasoning why you want/need it, they might find a compromise they feel comfortable with.
worst they can say it's no...

Hi Yves,

The only detailed information that I’ve seen is in the X series patent (see the attached US copy)
However, ultimately it’s only indicative rather than definitive

The patent is primarily about the modular construction, along with the integrated zoom function, rather then the optics as such
Though the patent does include representations of the optics, which are described as ‘variant(s) of an optical design of a telescope proposed by the invention’
- figure 8 shows what would be the ATX configuration, and figure 9 the STX one (figure 10 being a prism-less variant)
But whether the details of the lenses and groups are identical with the actual production is unknown

A) The objective construction shown is the same as that used in Swarovski’s current fixed body telescopes (the ATS/ STS and the STR lines)
i.e. 5 lenses in 3 groups (plus a glass plate at the rear to provide an airtight seal). It's in the pattern of: 1, 2 + 2 element focuser
(you can see two clear cross-section images of the STR at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380799 )
So this may also be the case in the X series production

B) The ocular construction is more complex. Looking at the diagrams it seems to be (ignoring the prisms, and the front cover plate),
11 lenses in 8 groups, in 3 main sections:
- 2, 1 (the field unit)
- 2, 2 (the zoom unit)
- 1, 1, 1, 1 (the eye lens unit)
n.b. parts #36 and 37 in the images are optional reticle plates

The pattern seems to be more complex than that of the eyepieces for the fixed body scopes. In part this would be because it has a field flattener function
However, whether this is the same as the actual production only Swarovski can say

Finally for what it’s worth, the stated transmission figure for the ATX/ STX series at 86%, is the same as that of the conventional ATS/ STS series with the 25-50x eyepiece
See the attached tables from the ATX/ STX brochure. It’s 35 pages/ 3.5 MB and can be downloaded at: https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/download/pdf/en_US/ATX_STX.US.pdf

John

Attachments

• Figure 8 - ATX.jpg
    Figure 8 - ATX.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Figures 9 - STX.jpg
    Figures 9 - STX.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 61
  • ATX: STX Spec's.jpg
    ATX: STX Spec's.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ATS: STS Spec's.jpg
    ATS: STS Spec's.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 31
  • US9703088 (X series, 2017).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks John for this detailed and useful information.
I fact, I am thinking about a new design of ATX/STX scopes
Also this could provide a very innovative design and combination of ATX/STX characteristics.
This may interest Swarovski for the future generation of their X series.... and to keep them (another) advantage on competitors!
Best regards
Yves

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back