• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ATX rattle? (1 Viewer)

LonestarX

I just received my new ATX eyepiece and 85 objective today. Both shipped together in the same box with practically no packing material to cushion the sides (Styrofoam peanuts on top and bottom only, sides directly against shipping box). I'm a bit disappointed that the company I purchased this from couldn't properly pack a $4k piece of equipment, but that's beside the point (popular US based optics retailer who I don't wish to name).

When I opened the box containing the objective I noticed the cap that covers the side that connects to the eyepiece was off and dangling in the box. The cutout of the box where the mount sits was also ripped which allowed it to move during transit. I tested the scope by just looking out into my backyard and everything seems ok, however, I can hear a rattle inside the objective. This is my first Swarovski scope, I also own a cheapo spotting scope which has no rattle whatsoever when shaking.

My question to everyone who owns an ATX is do you hear a small rattle when shaking the objective? Is this normal?

The BulbMogul

I just received my new ATX eyepiece and 85 objective today. Both shipped together in the same box with practically no packing material to cushion the sides (Styrofoam peanuts on top and bottom only, sides directly against shipping box). I'm a bit disappointed that the company I purchased this from couldn't properly pack a $4k piece of equipment, but that's beside the point (popular US based optics retailer who I don't wish to name).

When I opened the box containing the objective I noticed the cap that covers the side that connects to the eyepiece was off and dangling in the box. The cutout of the box where the mount sits was also ripped which allowed it to move during transit. I tested the scope by just looking out into my backyard and everything seems ok, however, I can hear a rattle inside the objective. This is my first Swarovski scope, I also own a cheapo spotting scope which has no rattle whatsoever when shaking.

My question to everyone who owns an ATX is do you hear a small rattle when shaking the objective? Is this normal?

no rattle on my ATX 95MM Setup..B&H are famous for just tossing the boxed item into one of there boxes with very little protection and sending it off...

Binastro

High quality, or even a normal objective doublet should rattle slightly to prevent pinching of the optics, which distorts the glass.

However, this means that the two elements rotate over time and get out of best position.
Wen cleaning an objective the pencil marks on the sides of the elements are realigned.

But good optics are edge blackened so there may be another mark.

With triplets this is more difficult.

My Ross 100mm f/15 triplet had small half moon cut outs on each element and a rod went through all the cutouts. Rotation was impossible. A brave man cut these elements.

Regards,
B.

jan van daalen

Making the "shake it baby" move with all three ATX 85s I found out all three make a noice which you could call a rattle. It's more like the inner tube moves against the outer tube causing a light noise like two hard surfaces comes in touch with each other.
My staff was wondering what I was doing..........

Jan

Uhu74

Making the "shake it baby" move with all three ATX 85s I found out all three make a noice which you could call a rattle. It's more like the inner tube moves against the outer tube causing a light noise like two hard surfaces comes in touch with each other.
My staff was wondering what I was doing..........

Jan

Second that, my ATX85 rattles a bit as well, also during magnification change.

Users who are viewing this thread