• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX - stiff zoom? (1 Viewer)

PJPro

Hi all.

I recently bought an ATX85 kit from Tring Observatory. It arrived today. However, I have noticed that the zoom is really stiff to turn. I certainly can't zoom using one finger...I need to use finger and thumb and it's still difficult to zoom. Indeed, I have to change the position of my hand so that the thumb is on top to allow me to twist it round. Is this expected? Will it free up over time or should I be considering returning to Tring for an exchange?

I have to say, after splashing the cash, I'm not especially impressed.

Thanks for any guidance or views you can offer.

Regards, Phill

Incidentally, I've tried some searches on this issue to see if others have encountered this problem and, while I understand the zoom ring offers more resistance than the focusing ring, I was was not expecting it to be quite so resistant.

Suggest that you compare with another sample and consider returning to Tring Observatory for replacement. It was an issue that I experienced and eventually I ended up returning the unit to Swarovski to resolve the issue.

Is it just as stiff when disconnected from the main body of the scope? Maybe it is catching slightly. Is so a touch of silicone spray may be in order as I believe others have tried to alleviate the issue.

I can’t recall the specifics of the issue to be honest; it was just clearly not right and that was enough. Seriously please don’t listen or act on any suggestions of silicone spray or other DIY fixes on your new expensive purchase! Such attempts may invalidate any warranty!

Quality instruments newly purchased get exchanged or fixed by the manufacturer.

Send it back. Faulty goods. It’s a no-brainier. Well within your uk rights distance selling regulations etc.

it is not your responsibility to have to try and fix it yourself or get Swarovski involved. Any DIY repair such as silicone etc would void any warranty and why bother when you can just return it and get replacement or refund.

I had similar issues recently with a pair of Swarovski binoculars that were too stiff focusing

the vendor sent me a replacement immediately with a prepaid post label to return the faulty goods in by return of post in the same box.

I have atx and no issues with focus like that you describe. It’s a truly wonderful scope -

Last edited:
Your contract is with the dealer who has supplied faulty goods. Return the unit and ask for a replacement.

Lee

Hi all.

Thanks for your replies.

The zoom ring is really stiff. It's not just a matter of finger and thumb. You have to work hard at it....certainly enough for you to lose the subject into which you are zooming :(

I've contacted Tring Astronomy Ltd and have arranged to visit them tomorrow. They are only open on a Friday and you have to book an appointment (due to COVID). It's a two hour drive but i don't want to have to wait. They have another eyepiece module in stock so I can compare the two. If the other one is as stiff to zoom, I might consider ditching the ATX and going for a Kowa TSN 883 instead. Unfortunately, they don't sell the Kowa.

I just wanted to say that I was surprised at how stiff the zoom is on my ATX95. I need two fingers, but I like it, I certainly can't confuse it with the focusing ring. It's a matter of taste I guess.

So, we pitched up at Tring Astronomy and compared the zoom ring resistance to another eyepiece they had in stock. It was about the same....maybe a little less. :( We tried them both on the objective module mounted on a tripod. With a bare scope the resistance wasn't quite so bad as you could get more of your hand onto the zoom ring. However, when we put on the SOC, it became much more difficult as you could only use your thumb and finger tips. Add in some thick gloves and it's game over.

We um'd and ah'd over it for quite some time (because optically, the ATX was great) but finally decided that we needed to be completely happy with the scope, given the £3k price tag. The bottom line was, we weren't. The ergonomics weren't for us. Tring Astronomy kindly gave us a refund.

I'm going to have to see if I can return the SOC for the ATX to Uttings. Hopefully, that won't be a problem. The bigger problem is, what's next? Kowa 883? ATS80? A Nikon Fieldscope ED80 might be nice as I already have two eyepieces for my ED50. Or bin the scope idea altogether and get a camera/lens.

Thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread.

Regards, Phill

So, we pitched up at Tring Astronomy and compared the zoom ring resistance to another eyepiece they had in stock. It was about the same....maybe a little less. :( We tried them both on the objective module mounted on a tripod. With a bare scope the resistance wasn't quite so bad as you could get more of your hand onto the zoom ring. However, when we put on the SOC, it became much more difficult as you could only use your thumb and finger tips. Add in some thick gloves and it's game over.

We um'd and ah'd over it for quite some time (because optically, the ATX was great) but finally decided that we needed to be completely happy with the scope, given the £3k price tag. The bottom line was, we weren't. The ergonomics weren't for us. Tring Astronomy kindly gave us a refund.

I'm going to have to see if I can return the SOC for the ATX to Uttings. Hopefully, that won't be a problem. The bigger problem is, what's next? Kowa 883? ATS80? A Nikon Fieldscope ED80 might be nice as I already have two eyepieces for my ED50. Or bin the scope idea altogether and get a camera/lens.

Thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread.

Regards, Phill
Maybe this is a stupid question, but could it have been the objective module having an issue and causing resistance against the ocular module, thus with the two ocular modules being fine? (If you tried the two oculars with one single objective module, the latter is the common denominator.)

I always use more than one finger to zoom in or out on my ATX65 (that is also just more natural and practical for me, having good control), but I have never had the impression of the zoom ring being too or non-ergonomically stiff, or that I had to ‘work hard’ on the ring. Considering this and the many happy users of the ATX-series, I still think there must have been something faulty in the setup. Of course, ergonomics are something personal: what one finds too stiff for a zoom ring might be considered ideal by someone else.
(Regarding the SOC, I cannot comment on it if it is the original Swarovski SOC. I am using a SOC from Kite.)

Hi,

sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Considering the fact that you already have Nikon EPs, a Fieldscope ED 82 body will not cost a lot and offer nice views...

Joachim

Hi All.

Mbb - We tested the stiffness of the eyepieces without the objective first, We then mounted them on the objective to confirm the issues with ergonomics. The SOC used was the Swarovski branded version.

Joachim - The Nikon ED82 might be nice but is hard to find (at least I can't find an angled one for sale in the UK). I've also got the risk of buying second hand, where returns will not be possible.

Over the last couple of days I have been to Middlebere (should have gone to Portland for the Wryneck!) and Pennington. Using my Nikon ED50 with x27 lens, I noticed a lot of heat haze for the more distant subjects. I suspect magnification much over x27 for these more distant birds would have been largely unusable, Maybe I need to rethink the larger scope magnifications?

For the ATX, I also purchased a MT055CXPRO, a MVH500 head, a Manfrotto Hide clamp and a Cleyspy tripod carrier. These are overkill for the NIKON ED50. but I've used these so can't really return them. All in all, this has turned into a rather expensive mistake?

With the improved tripod set up you will get more out of your existing kit so perhaps see it as a good value upgrade! Less wobble will make your Nikon work better.

I am really happy with my atx but accept that there are many limitations to scopes such as heat haze and the weight of carrying them.

perhaps revisit the idea of a better scope when shops fully open or field events restart and you can test out properly

Hi,

as for getting an ED82 in the UK and being able to return in case of a real lemon, having a close eye at the used offers of the usual suspects like Cleyspy, In Focus Optics or LCE is a good idea...

Joachim

Last edited:
i had to return a pair of faulty binoculars to In Focus -- can only say that the customer service was superb -- zero fuss and efficient service.

I had thought perhaps my zoom ring on an ATX 115 set up was perhaps too stiff. That is how they are apparently. I've compared to another sample in Sportsman's Warehouse. On a sturdy tripod the stiffness is not bothersome at all even with the stay-on case.

Last edited:
Just found this thread and, having recently bought ATX 65, it at least confirms that I'm not alone in being surprised at the resistance of the zoom ring. There's definitely no way of turning it using just fingers on the top of the ring like can be done with the focus ring, need a full finger/thumb grip to turn and even then its resistant and needs a couple of hand repositions to get through full cycle. Certainly not as easy and smooth as the old eyepiece zoom.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back