• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon Christmas Bird Count - Mexico? (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm toying with the idea of a trip to include some of the Audubon Christmas Bird Counts this winter in Latin America. Here's a map of them https://audubon.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=ac275eeb01434cedb1c5dcd0fd3fc7b4

Obviously, Covid. But Mexico seems to be letting people in and might be a possibility. I'm not sure how much difficulty you'd run into with restrictions imposed at a state level there though. I'd favour east or west of Mexico City.

Or maybe northern Colombia, around Cartagena? Apparently they let you in to Colombia without a test so that wouldn't be too problematic.

I'll be grateful to hear any thoughts, and indeed if anyone is interested in joining me. Of course with a vaccine on the horizon it may be best to simply leave it until another time...

Not sure if you noticed, the link hasn't been updated; dates and points of contact are from last year's count.

Huston Audubon
has the Texas Christmas Bird Counts dates as December 14, 2020 - January 5, 2021 but adds this to explain the map info:

"For counts which have no dates, the descriptions are from the previous year. Because of the pandemic, dates are tentative."

The U.S. Geological Survey, Canadian Wildlife Service, and Mexican National Commission for the Knowledge and Use of Biodiversity cancelled all North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) field activities back in April for 2020. Although I believe I read bits-and-pieces of reports where locals, across the States, conducted BBS's for their patch data records.

Not saying the CBC will be cancelled, just pointing out the precedence. Locally, I've yet to hear of any planning or mention of the CBC. Last year's talk started on the 1st of November.

Hate to see the Covid take down the CBC.

I like your idea, I hope you're able to pull it off.

Not sure if you noticed, the link hasn't been updated; dates and points of contact are from last year's count.

Huston Audubon
has the Texas Christmas Bird Counts dates as December 14, 2020 - January 5, 2021 but adds this to explain the map info:

"For counts which have no dates, the descriptions are from the previous year. Because of the pandemic, dates are tentative."

The U.S. Geological Survey, Canadian Wildlife Service, and Mexican National Commission for the Knowledge and Use of Biodiversity cancelled all North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) field activities back in April for 2020. Although I believe I read bits-and-pieces of reports where locals, across the States, conducted BBS's for their patch data records.

Not saying the CBC will be cancelled, just pointing out the precedence. Locally, I've yet to hear of any planning or mention of the CBC. Last year's talk started on the 1st of November.

Hate to see the Covid take down the CBC.

I like your idea, I hope you're able to pull it off.

Ah yes. I got the map from this page https://www.audubon.org/conservation/join-christmas-bird-count which says "Audubon's 121st Christmas Bird Count will be conducted between the dates of Monday, December 14, 2020 through Tuesday, January 5, 2021" and "A map view of the circles expected to be included in the 121st CBC is available here" which sounded quite hopeful. But then if the map doesn't show dates for this year that doesn't give much confidence as the start is really not that far away. A pity. I went to one in Costa Rica a few years ago and it was good.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back