• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

In fairness Dan most would be ticks in my garden too; it's a amazing how little I get in Farnborough (last trap here was 2 x Straw Underwing, 1 x Poplar Hawkmoth and 1 Vines Rustic) compared to out in a country village in Surrey.

Allen

Agree, it is!

Re mystery moth, Looks like an unusually dark, Flounced Rustic to me?

Here are two moths I've caught recently, an obvious Straw Undwerwing and something I got last night which is VERY similar to the OP, mystery moth, ignore the washed out colours which are misleading, I over compensated in poor light.

Attachments

• Straw Underwing.jpg
    Straw Underwing.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P8200259.JPG
    P8200259.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
In fairness Dan most would be ticks in my garden too; it's a amazing how little I get in Farnborough (last trap here was 2 x Straw Underwing, 1 x Poplar Hawkmoth and 1 Vines Rustic) compared to out in a country village in Surrey.

Allen

On the other hand, I live and trap in the centre of Farnborough less than a mile from Allen's gaff and only two of his list (Horse Chestnut and Small Phoenix) are strangers to my garden!

I am completely at a loss to explain the difference between his garden trap and mine.

John

On the other hand, I live and trap in the centre of Farnborough less than a mile from Allen's gaff and only two of his list (Horse Chestnut and Small Phoenix) are strangers to my garden!

I am completely at a loss to explain the difference between his garden trap and mine.

John

Some, will be to do with what you neighbours have as available food plants for moth larva in their gardens, your respective neighbours may grow a host of different plants?

Also to do with how well planted the area is generally. I'm just a mile from the City centre but sit atop a valley, looking over a lot of well planted gardens which means I get a surprising variety.

Yes and I think there are lots of factors, seen from a moths point of view as opposed to ours perhaps. So topography, other light sources in the vicinity, the environment as a moth would 'perceive it' (like with rare birds, think like a moth, although there's not a lot you can do in some respects). Differences with an enclosed courtyard garden or good sight lines ...

I'm sure there's research, but how far does a moth trap light draw moths in for example? What height travelling moths passing by will fly at and will they encounter it? Ivy or other heavily scented food sources to attract moths into the area perhaps.

Gardens should have a good variety of non-native plant species, some of which are closely related to native species which otherwise are rare whch can balance against the wider agricultural countryside being fairly bland (some hedgerows notwithstanding). A variety of different habitat types within close reach will affect things too.

Last edited:

John

It's probably more than a mile now John as my gaff is right on the edge of south Farnborough but I think the real delta here is the surroundings as other have suggested. Despite having a large and mature garden, I lack the advantage of backing onto the green corridor of the brook and I reckon that's the big reason for the difference

It's probably more than a mile now John as my gaff is right on the edge of south Farnborough but I think the real delta here is the surroundings as other have suggested. Despite having a large and mature garden, I lack the advantage of backing onto the green corridor of the brook and I reckon that's the big reason for the difference

Could be right, especially if I was mistaken about where you were trapping!

Mixture as before the last few days but a year-tick today in the shape of a Bright-line Brown-eye.

John

Didn't put the trap on for a few nights as 30-40 mile winds with gusts of 50-60 forecast. Probably chickened out and should have.

Put on last night 21st, checked 06:45.
Out - 15 of 8 macro
In - 69 of 10 macro ; total 84 of 14 macros, also 1 Peach Blossom near trap last night. 25 Caddis Fly the highest so far.

Highlight Black Arches, with 49 Large Yellow Underwing followed by 9 Flame Shoulder. Some micros etc to look at too.

Regarding Allen's mystery moth,
I haven't missed something or confused the replies have I?

I included the link to this thread when I wrote to our recorder with my possible Lempka's Gold Spot, she states emphatically that it's a Flounced Rustic, definitely no Straw Underwing.

Regarding Allen's mystery moth,
I haven't missed something or confused the replies have I?

I included the link to this thread when I wrote to our recorder with my possible Lempka's Gold Spot, she states emphatically that it's a Flounced Rustic, definitely no Straw Underwing.

Haven't seen any missed replies. I can certainly buy it being Flounced. The notches in the cross line below the head are in line, and the bottom cross line (often/usually white-ish in Straw Underwing) is more notched than in Straw.

(Currently struggling with my own Flounced, trying to turn them into something rarer.)

Last edited:
Some pics from this morning -

Ruby Tiger, Black Arches, Silver Y and Agriphila geniculea Elbow-striped Grass-veneer I believe.

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    151 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 14
FWIW agree with Flounced Rustic have looked more closely. Trap going back out tonight in rural Surrey now that the wind has died down. Fingers crossed for some numbers/interest.

No decent numbers at all last night but some new ones...Centre barred sallow, Red carpet and Dark Spectacle.

84 of 13 macro species here - hardly anything outside the trap when I looked, but 50 Large Yellow Underwing and 14 Flame Shoulder the treat awaiting me inside. Nothing new or exciting (except 1 Dark Sword Grass perhaps), but did have first for garden Yellow Shell around 9:30pm last night at the trap when had a quick look.

Lousy weather recently has put me off, although I managed a night about a week ago, with nothing of any real note (most interesting species being my first Setaceous Hebrew Character for a while), but we had fun spotlighting Silver Ys feeding on the lavender.

Last night was slightly better, with a couple of Canary-shouldered and three Dusky Thorns, my first Green Carpet for a couple of months and an Oak Bush Cricket. Three Lesser Underwings were also of note, only had a couple of singles of those a few weeks back. The only new species was a big Bulrush Wainscot. More wasps than I've found in the trap before too, at least half a dozen, but happily all pretty docile. 84 moths of 18 species the final tally, Large yellow Underwing (35) & Common Marbles Carpet (11) the most numerous.

Attachments

• IMG_5297.JPG
    IMG_5297.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5239.JPG
    IMG_5239.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5279.JPG
    IMG_5279.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5285.JPG
    IMG_5285.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 11
Rechecked ID and yes Flame Carpet; thanks for correcting me. The one I had was pretty light pinkish so I honed in on that on Red in the book without checking habitat/range. Still a new one for me though.

Trapped last night (26th/27th August) for the first time in several days. 41 individuals of 14 species, with Larger Yellow Underwings now asserting themselves (15) and Square-spot Rustics just beginning the climb to boring status with 5. A Small Dusty Wave probably the best of a fairly routine trap.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back