• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian Moths and other garden observations (1 Viewer)

Ectadiosoma straminae (Crambidae, Spilomelinae) - a new species for me and I think the Cape
Grapholita (Tortricidae, Olethreutinae) - cannot find a match for beautiful Tort at the moment
Heteropsyche poecilochroma (Epipyropidae) - the caterpillars of this family are parasites of planthopper species, emerging to pupate outside their host
Lophoruza diversa (Erebidae, Boletobiinae) - only the second individual I have caught

Attachments

• Ectadiosoma straminea   02 10 2021 (2).JPG
    Ectadiosoma straminea 02 10 2021 (2).JPG
    974.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Grapholita  02 10 2021 (2).JPG
    Grapholita 02 10 2021 (2).JPG
    613.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Heteropsyche poecilochroma  03 10 2021 (3).JPG
    Heteropsyche poecilochroma 03 10 2021 (3).JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Lophoruza diversalis 02 10 2021 (3).JPG
    Lophoruza diversalis 02 10 2021 (3).JPG
    832 KB · Views: 5
Olene mendosa (Lymantridae) - a beautiful species, always a pleasure to see on the sheet
NAG leucostigma (Erebidae, Boletobiinae) - the exact placement of this species is yet to be determined. I caught it once in the Cairns region a few years back but here it is quite a regular feature on the sheet
Pinara divisa (Lasiocampidae) - strongly sexually dimorphic with the larger female (first of the two photos) a regular visitor to the sheet, I have only caught two males so far

Attachments

• Pinara divisa 03 10 2021 (5).JPG
    Pinara divisa 03 10 2021 (5).JPG
    445.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Pinara divisa 03 10 2021 (4).JPG
    Pinara divisa 03 10 2021 (4).JPG
    869 KB · Views: 3
  • Oruza leucostigma 03 10 2021.JPG
    Oruza leucostigma 03 10 2021.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 3
  • Olene mendosa 02 10 2021 (3).JPG
    Olene mendosa 02 10 2021 (3).JPG
    881 KB · Views: 3
Final three for today
Rhesala ANIC 2 (Erebidae) - another whose exact placement is yet to be determined. This is one of the many known but undescribed species I see hence its species name being "ANIC 2"...I also catch "ANIC 1" at times!
Scioglyptis canescaria (Geometridae, Ennominae) - a new species for me and the Cape
A male Sphodropoda quinquedens aka Rainbow Mantis

Attachments

• Rhesala ANIC2  02 10 2021 (2).JPG
    Rhesala ANIC2 02 10 2021 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Scioglyptis canescaria  02 10 2021 (3).JPG
    Scioglyptis canescaria 02 10 2021 (3).JPG
    774 KB · Views: 5
  • Sphodropoda quinquedens 03 10 2021.JPG
    Sphodropoda quinquedens 03 10 2021.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Caught my tenth species of Limacodidae for Weipa last night. Prior to moving here I rarely caught members of this family, and when I did it was singles of one of two species. Here I am catching multiple species and multiple individuals on some nights. Last night I caught Mecytha dnophera, a new species for me and I think the Cape - in fact I can only find a couple of other recent records.
Other species of interest included Glyphodes apiospila (Crambidae, Spilomelinae) one of the less common members of this genus; I also caught two Ophodiphthera eucalypti (Saturniidae). My species list for Weipa is rapidly approaching 500 which for three months of the Dry season is quite good, really looking forward to the rains starting...hopefully next month if not sooner!

Attachments

• IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1733.JPG
    IMG_1733.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Caught my tenth species of Limacodidae for Weipa last night. Prior to moving here I rarely caught members of this family, and when I did it was singles of one of two species. Here I am catching multiple species and multiple individuals on some nights. Last night I caught Mecytha dnophera, a new species for me and I think the Cape - in fact I can only find a couple of other recent records.
Other species of interest included Glyphodes apiospila (Crambidae, Spilomelinae) one of the less common members of this genus; I also caught two Ophodiphthera eucalypti (Saturniidae). My species list for Weipa is rapidly approaching 500 which for three months of the Dry season is quite good, really looking forward to the rains starting...hopefully next month if not sooner!
This makes my urban patch look a bit thin, hoping I can get some stuff worthy of posting when we get to Cyprus.

This is a wonderful thread, would be great to get other members from around the World to start similar ones, showcasing their own species..

This makes my urban patch look a bit thin, hoping I can get some stuff worthy of posting when we get to Cyprus.

This is a wonderful thread, would be great to get other members from around the World to start similar ones, showcasing their own species..
Thanks Andy, love to read about others patches. The monthly UK threads are great and bring bback so many memories. Am sure Cyprus will be interesting, you must start a thread for the trip. How long are going for?

Thanks Andy, love to read about others patches. The monthly UK threads are great and bring bback so many memories. Am sure Cyprus will be interesting, you must start a thread for the trip. How long are going for?
Unless my wife gets the sack, we're there for good.

Unless my wife gets the sack, we're there for good.
Excellent, that's how we end up in Aus. My wife got a job here and now we are citizens with no intention of moving back to UK. The chance for southern migrants must be high. Please do start a Cyprus thread

I have been away on the Iron Range for a few days so no mothing but I did find this slightly worn Erebus crepuscularis and this less than helpful Alcides metaurus. The whole area is amazing and I am in the process of trying to sourt permits to allow me to trap there next year...

Attachments

• Erebus crepuscularis 15 10 2021.JPG
    Erebus crepuscularis 15 10 2021.JPG
    859.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Alcides metaurus 16 10 2021.JPG
    Alcides metaurus 16 10 2021.JPG
    682.4 KB · Views: 7
Full moon and cloudless skies makes trapping pointless at the moment in the garden but here are a few from earlier thismonth that I have got around to editing...plenty more yet to process and ID...
Crocidolomia pavonana (Crambidae, Glaphyriinae) my second here this year, a major pest on Cabbage crops
Eublemma dispar (Erebidae, Boletobiinae) - not completely sure where this sits as some references still have it as Autoba but others state that all Australian Autoba been transfered to Eublemma...
Radinocera vagata (Noctuidae, Argistinae) - only the second time I have caught this species with my only other record being from TI earlier this year
Hierodula werni - only the second record for Queensland of this large mantid, the first was from June this year slightly further south on the Cape

Attachments

• Radinocera vagata 14 10 2021.JPG
    Radinocera vagata 14 10 2021.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Eublemma dispar 14 10 2021.JPG
    Eublemma dispar 14 10 2021.JPG
    760 KB · Views: 6
  • Crocidolomia pavonana 14 10 2021.JPG
    Crocidolomia pavonana 14 10 2021.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 6
We had the first heavy rain of the season over the weekend which unfortunately blew the power so was unable to trap, it has been clear and bright since then until last night so I was able to put the trap out. The rain has had a great impact with over 70 species on the sheet.
Agrius convolvuli (Sphingidae) - one of two species last night and my first convolvuli for quite some time
Anigraea ochrobasis (Eutilidae, Eutilinae) - was pleased to get a photo of this without its wings completely rolled up into tubes which is its normal resting position!
Circopetes obtusata (Geometridae, Oenochrominae) - an occasional visitor to my sheet, always nice to see fresh individuals
Creatonotos gangis (Erebidae, Arctiinae) - a nice fresh pink specimen, looks to be recently emerged as the colour fades quite quickly
Diasemia accalis (Crambidae, Spilomelinae) - first I have seen for several years and from the look of it the first record for the Cape north of Cairns.

Attachments

• Diasemia accalis 25 10 2021 (2).JPG
    Diasemia accalis 25 10 2021 (2).JPG
    808.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Creatonotos gangis 25 10 2021.JPG
    Creatonotos gangis 25 10 2021.JPG
    579 KB · Views: 9
  • Circopetes obtusata 25 10 2021.JPG
    Circopetes obtusata 25 10 2021.JPG
    865.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Anigraea ochrobasis 25 10 2021.JPG
    Anigraea ochrobasis 25 10 2021.JPG
    593.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Agrius convolvuli 25 10 2021.JPG
    Agrius convolvuli 25 10 2021.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9
Second part from last night
Dichromodes mesotoma (Geometridae. Oenochrominae) - another very fresh individual
Eublemma silicula (Erebidae, Boletobiinae) - a regular on the sheet but not always in this condition!
Thallasodes dorsilinea (Geometridae, Geometrinae) - a nice individual clearly showing the dots on the end of the veins in the wings (most noticeable in the hindwing), these dots are the key feature for the very similar Pelagodes.
Tonica effractella (Depressaridae) - not caught one for a couple of weeks so nice to see it on the sheet

Attachments

• Tonica effractella 25 10 2021.JPG
    Tonica effractella 25 10 2021.JPG
    662.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Thalassodes dorsilinea 25 10 2021.JPG
    Thalassodes dorsilinea 25 10 2021.JPG
    938.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Eublemma silicula 25 10 2021.JPG
    Eublemma silicula 25 10 2021.JPG
    568.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Dichromodes mesotoma 25 10 2021.JPG
    Dichromodes mesotoma 25 10 2021.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 3
We had the first heavy rain of the season over the weekend which unfortunately blew the power so was unable to trap, it has been clear and bright since then until last night so I was able to put the trap out. The rain has had a great impact with over 70 species on the sheet.
Agrius convolvuli (Sphingidae) - one of two species last night and my first convolvuli for quite some time
Anigraea ochrobasis (Eutilidae, Eutilinae) - was pleased to get a photo of this without its wings completely rolled up into tubes which is its normal resting position!
Circopetes obtusata (Geometridae, Oenochrominae) - an occasional visitor to my sheet, always nice to see fresh individuals
Creatonotos gangis (Erebidae, Arctiinae) - a nice fresh pink specimen, looks to be recently emerged as the colour fades quite quickly
Diasemia accalis (Crambidae, Spilomelinae) - first I have seen for several years and from the look of it the first record for the Cape north of Cairns.
I had this in Laos, you can see that I labelled it 'sp', is it the same species?

Attachments

• Creatonotus sp.jpg
    Creatonotus sp.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 3
Getting between 50 and 70 species a night now in the garden when conditions are suitable, and although still dominated by micro moths there is a noticeable increase in macro's. Here are a few from the last couple of nights - although at the moment there are many yet to be identified. I am heading out into the Bush tonight with the genny ( first time since it has been repaired) so hopefully will be productive.
Destolmia lineata (Notodontidae, Notodontinae) - a highly variable species that is quite regular on the sheet
IMG 2789 (Crambidae) - the consensus of opinion on this is that it is probably a Spilomelinae but no-one knows for certain so I have sent the images off to one of the global experts in the group to see what he says.
Paradestolmia nigrolineata (Notodontidae, Notodontinae) - a regular feature on my sheet in TI but this is only the second time I have caught this in Weipa
Savoca iophota (Eutelidae, Stictopterinae) - a new species for me and as far as I can tell the first recent record of this species, and certainly the first photo of a live specimen. I can find records from 1905 from the Cairns region but nothing more recent

Attachments

• Savoca iophota 26 10 2021 (1).JPG
    Savoca iophota 26 10 2021 (1).JPG
    573 KB · Views: 3
  • Paradestolmia nigrolinea 26 10 2021.JPG
    Paradestolmia nigrolinea 26 10 2021.JPG
    987.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2789.JPG
    IMG_2789.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Destolmia lineata  26 10 2021 (1).JPG
    Destolmia lineata 26 10 2021 (1).JPG
    775.4 KB · Views: 3
Hope you don't mind Atropos, as we've seen some crossover with what you catch, if I put a few shots up for you to look at here and maybe suggest an ID for any of them? These are all from Laos and in all cases, I only ever managed 'sp' which may even be wrong.

Attachments

• Abraxas species.JPG
    Abraxas species.JPG
    791.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Calliteara sp.JPG
    Calliteara sp.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Heortia sp.JPG
    Heortia sp.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Macrobrochis sp.JPG
    Macrobrochis sp.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • Ophiusa sp.JPG
    Ophiusa sp.JPG
    817.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Trabala sp.JPG
    Trabala sp.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6
No problem Andy not sure how much help I will be...
Abraxas sp indeed can only get to exact species with dissection;
the Calliteara is I think part of the horsfeldi complex - horsfeldi is a so called morpho species which i know occurs in Thailand and so I suspect does in Laos another dissection job to be certain;
I would think yours is Heortia vitessoides which occurs in Aus / Thailand and several places in between;
the Macrobrochis is a Barsine species - Lithosiini are a nightmare and under review in many countries. I am not sure which species occur in the region and I suspect dissection would be needed to confirm
Ophiusa looks like part of the tirhaca complex - tirhaca is globally widespread from Europe across to Australia and yours may well be tirhaca but again I think it is thought that it is a morpho species - BOLD lists it as having 3 BINs numbers which implies that it is not a single species
Trabala another dissection job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back