• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian Water Dragon - Queensland - Which subspecies? (1 Viewer)

Mark Eising

Registered Member
I found this Water Dragon at Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge in October 2022. There are two subspecies: the Eastern Water Dragon (Intellagama lesueurii lesueurii) and the Gippsland Water Dragon (Intellagama lesueurii howittii).
It seems that Intellagama lesueurii lesueurii occurs along the east coast of Australia from Cooktown in the north down to the New South Wales and Intellagama lesueurii howitti occurs more south in New South Wales down to Victoria. So based on this information, the one on my photo should be Intellagama lesueurii lesueurii.
However, Intellagama lesueurii lesueurii has a prominent dark stripe behind its eye and Intellagama lesueurii howitti does not have this. That would make the one on the photo Intellagama lesueurii howitti. Unless this is different with young(er) individuals.
Any advice or help is highly appreciated!

Attachments

• Australian Water Dragon. Intellagama lesueurii howitti. Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Qu...JPG
    Australian Water Dragon. Intellagama lesueurii howitti. Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Qu...JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • Australian Water Dragon. Intellagama lesueurii howitti. Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Qu...JPG
    Australian Water Dragon. Intellagama lesueurii howitti. Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Qu...JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
I think this is Intellagama lesueurii lesueurii. First, it looks like a younger animal without fully developed adult colours. Second, the descriptions I've seen suggest the overall colours are better for this. Last, I see a developing diagonal dark streak leading to bottom right from the eye. It's bordered by paler lines. Above it is another dark streak (also bordered by a pale line). These are the 2 dark lines of the adults. (In those, the diagonal streak is less pronounced while the one which leads to the ear is prominent. But both are usually visible.)

I think this is Intellagama lesueurii lesueurii. First, it looks like a younger animal without fully developed adult colours. Second, the descriptions I've seen suggest the overall colours are better for this. Last, I see a developing diagonal dark streak leading to bottom right from the eye. It's bordered by paler lines. Above it is another dark streak (also bordered by a pale line). These are the 2 dark lines of the adults. (In those, the diagonal streak is less pronounced while the one which leads to the ear is prominent. But both are usually visible.)
Thank you so much for your clear explanation Fern! You must be right!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back