• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumn virtuoso, French Alps (1,000m asl) (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
Apologies for the faint recording, I just pointed my mobile phone in the direction of the bird. We're used to the mimicry and variety of Marsh Warbler here in May/June but this species comes a close second when it does this Autumn subsong. All the sounds you hear (apart from the cow bells nearby;)) were being produced by this individual, including the eerie owl-like gargle.
I made other recordings in a ten minute spell but cars or aircraft passing spoiled the result. Among the species I heard it mimicking were Black Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Chiffchaff and Blue Tit.
I only ever hear it doing this in September, what do you think it is?

Attachments

• New Recording.m4a
    609 KB · Views: 42
You can’t beat an Icky when it’s on a roll and I’ve heard RB Shrikes make some interesting vocals - it’s amazing just how many birds mimic other species (including mimicking animals too!)

Eurasian Jays are surprisingly good mimics ...

No Starlings here now Jos, but Jay is a good call Deb, it’s in fact a Black Redstart, the male that raised two broods and now is singing for joy as he’s no longer any responsibilities ( modern parents eh.....).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back