• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumnwatch 2022 (1 Viewer)

The 50% figure came from the Edible Dormouse research bloke.

The actual stat is that the UK gardens are larger than the UK National Nature Reserves, which is broadly true (depending on how you define garden) the problem was that in a live segment "National Nature Reserves" became "National Parks" which are very much larger.

I’m wary now of any figures emanating from Autumn/Winter/Spring/Summer Watch since their suggestion the total area of all UK home gardens was greater than our National Parks/Wild Places combined.

LGM
I think your statement is too broad-brush, but in this particular case you are right:

UK National Parks: 22,660 sq km

NNRs (England only): 944 sq km

UK gardens (Government estimate based on OS data): 5218 sq km.

So it's a fair assumption they are more than NNRs, but certainly less than National Parks. However, National Parks do not equate to NNRs in value to wildlife, being composed of a great deal of farmland, wildlife persecution land such as grouse moors and frequently over-run with humans who should not be allowed out of towns (and aren't all that great there either).

John

I think your statement is too broad-brush, but in this particular case you are right:

UK National Parks: 22,660 sq km

NNRs (England only): 944 sq km

UK gardens (Government estimate based on OS data): 5218 sq km.

So it's a fair assumption they are more than NNRs, but certainly less than National Parks. However, National Parks do not equate to NNRs in value to wildlife, being composed of a great deal of farmland, wildlife persecution land such as grouse moors and frequently over-run with humans who should not be allowed out of towns (and aren't all that great there either).

John
From what I hear most home gardens are now an extension of the property but without a roof. Think funky stone paving or decking to accommodate outside dinning and a hot tub.

LGM

About ten minutes of last night's programme were taken up with a plug for Children In Need. Given how little time the Beeb gives to wildlife on telly, why did we have to lose so much of it last night ? :mad:

From what I hear most home gardens are now an extension of the property but without a roof. Think funky stone paving or decking to accommodate outside dinning and a hot tub.

LGM
For every one like that, there's one with a rusting Sierra half buried under nettles and brambles, a lawn full of daisies and dandelions, and a heap of stuff with mice and voles living in it.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back