• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avian misnomers (2 Viewers)

Its a bit like Dunnock with regionally differences, over here there common garden birds yet in parts of spain there more mountain birds

Black-capped Chickadee...as opposed to four other chickadee species that breed in North America?

American Black Duck. It's brown.

Ancient Murrelet. It's not that old.

Hairy Woodpecker. They're feathers, not hair.

American Pipit.

Black-capped Chickadee...as opposed to four other chickadee species that breed in North America?

American Black Duck. It's brown.

Ancient Murrelet. It's not that old.

Hairy Woodpecker. They're feathers, not hair.

American Pipit.
I saw my first American Black Duck on ice next to Whooper Swans in flat light and at a distance: Black is accurate enough! Sooty would be even better....

Ancient Murrelet: look at the bushy, snowy eyebrows - could be a candidate for the White House! Completely accurate.

Speaking of Hairy, has Downy Woodpecker been mentioned? Only downy in early life....

What's wrong with American Pipit? Sooner or later someone will split japonicus. If you are going to nit-pick to that extent, then American Robin is not a Robin but a bad case of thrush!

John

Sardinian Warbler - Marmora's Warbler should be carrying that name.

Bearded Tit - the male is (impressively) moustached (it's flamboyant enough to go for "moustachioed"). I know it isn't a tit either, but neither is Long-tailed Tit or Scrubtit, so it does not bother me.

Marsh Warbler - not a great name, as its favourite locations seem to be nettles near ditches, brooks and rivers. (To be honest, the Dutch name "Wood Reed Warbler" is definitely worse!)

It occured to me the other day that many of our feathered friends have either misleading or inaccurate English names. I thought it might be fun to see how many the members can come up with. Please no duplication.

I will start with one highlighted to me by my 8 year old grandson

#1 Black-headed Gull (it's brown)

cheers alan
In an attempt to steer this thread into a parallel track, The scientific name of of Black-headed Gull is Chroicocephalus ridibundus, which species name could translate as 'Laughing Gull', whose real-life namesake's scientific name is Leucophaeus atricilla, this species name translating as 'dark-hooded'. Re the comment that Black-headed Gull's head is brown, that takes us to Brown-headed Gull C. brunnicephalus, whose species name is the only one in this mish-mash that not a misnomer!
MJB
PS I omitted inclusion of Brown-hooded Gull C. maculipennis to avoid making brains hurt too much...

In an attempt to steer this thread into a parallel track, The scientific name of of Black-headed Gull is Chroicocephalus ridibundus, which species name could translate as 'Laughing Gull', whose real-life namesake's scientific name is Leucophaeus atricilla, this species name translating as 'dark-hooded'. Re the comment that Black-headed Gull's head is brown, that takes us to Brown-headed Gull C. brunnicephalus, whose species name is the only one in this mish-mash that not a misnomer!
MJB
PS I omitted inclusion of Brown-hooded Gull C. maculipennis to avoid making brains hurt too much...

I think it's time for me to repeat my all-time favorite bird nomenclature anecdote.

Basically, knowing both Czech and English names of gulls will completely mess up with your head.

The Czech name for Lesser Black-Backed Gull translates to "yellow-legged gull",
the Czech name for Yellow-legged Gull translates to "mediterranean gull",
the Czech name for Mediterranean Gull translates to "black-headed gull",
the Czech name for Black-headed Gull translates to "laughing gull".

All the translations are straightforward and literal.

I think it's time for me to repeat my all-time favorite bird nomenclature anecdote.

Basically, knowing both Czech and English names of gulls will completely mess up with your head.

All the translations are straightforward and literal.
This is why I don't do gulls (or one of the reasons ;) )

now standing at 31

MJB and Opisska. brilliant! We are all pursuing a hobby that will eventually turn sound-minded individuals into raving lunatics!

cheers alan

Oh, in German you can do even better :cool:

The German name for Yellow-legged Gull translates also to "Mediterranean Gull",
the German name for Mediterranean Gull translates also to "Black-headed Gull",
the German name for Black-headed Gull translates also to "Laughing Gull",
the German name for Lesser Black-backed Gull on the other hand translates to "Herring Gull",
an finally the German name for Herring Gull translates to "Silver Gull" (Chroicocephalus novaehollandiae).

Otherwise I am still looking for the "buttons" on Buttonquails and the "boots" on Booted Warblers and haven't found them yet.
I know photographers who can see Booted Warblers. Also Booted Eagles, Booted Rock Thrushes, Booted Robins.... ;)

(To be strictly fair, I know ordinary birders (very ordinary birders) with similar skills.)

John

23 (I think its 23) Blackbird, because the mail is generally black not the females, but sometimes the male has white on it, there was one in my garden yesterday mostly black with some white on its wings

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back