• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aviemore / Speyside (1 Viewer)

WhiteTailed22

Hey all,

In the Aviemore / Speyside for the next few days. Been pretty successful so far - Black Throated Diver and Golden Eagles at Lochindorb and Peregrine and Kites at Findhorn Valley. To my amazement, I also saw what I now believe were two Quails on the way up to Findhorn Valley. Managed to get a pretty good look at them too. A first for me - a bird I never thought I would see.

Planning on venturing up to the Cairngorm Ski Mountain tomorrow in the hope of seeing Ptarmagin and maybe even Dotterel (I was lucky enough to see Dotterel just past the summit last May)

Does anyone have any particularly great walks / sites they could recommend in this area? I'd love to see some Black Grouse if possible - been many years since I have seen one. Other birds high on the list at the moment are Golden Plover, Capercaillie (a far cry, I know) and any birds of prey really, especially Merlin (my favourite)

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a good start to your trip. Don’t know if it’s too far from where you’re based, but Ben Rinnes near Dufftown is a good location for Ptarmigan, and I’ve also seen Golden Plover near the summit as well.

When I was last up at the Findhorn valley we saw Merlin near the parking spot at the end of the valley.

Last edited:
When I was last up at the Findhorn valley we saw Merlin near the parking spot at the end of the valley.

Aberdeenshirebirdtours, which parking spot is that?
Was this near Dulsie, Tomatin or further up at Coignafearn lodge?
I haven't seen a merlin yet. Were they near the water or further up the sides of the river?

Been pretty successful so far - Black Throated Diver and Golden Eagles at Lochindorb and Peregrine and Kites at Findhorn Valley

Whitetail22, where along the Findhorn valley did you see the peregrines and kites? Forres, Loggie, Dulsie, Tomatin, Coignafearn? Was this summer time?

I have been in and around Lochindorb often but I never saw any eagles. Just many buzzards, indeed at least one or two every time I drive there.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was in the Findhorn Valley yesterday afternoon. I saw seven species of raptor in a couple of hours, although no eagles. I saw a Merlin at the parking area near Coignafearn Lodge. It was over the hillshide across the road from the car park, although I'm sure they can crop up anywhere in that area. There were four Red Kites further down the valley near the Findhorn bridge. Also about were three Peregrines (various places), Osprey, Buzzard, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk.

This may sound a bit harsh, but Merlins with young just out of the nest often hang around where Sand Martins nest, this time of year I have seen several when fishing on the Tummel near Moulinearn for example.

A few years ago we stayed on lochindorb. It was great to see the osprey hunting/fishing everyday on the loch - and far more successful than us...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back