• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aviemore (1 Viewer)

WhiteTailed22

I've had a superb few days in the Aviemore/Speyside area. It is with much relief that the Slavonian Grebes are still on Avielochan and hopefully they breed well this season. Also a very plentiful amount of Goldeneye and Greylag Geese, as well as two Teal. Other notable birds include Long tailed tit, Goldfinch, Siskin, Greater Spotted Woodpecker and Goldfinch.

On the recommendation of Gordon Hamlett, we went to Findhorn, towards Strathdearn. Within moments of getting out the car, a Red Kite was flying just over the moors. We got an absolutely terrific view. This is a bird I have never seen on my own birdwatching travels. Up until today, I had only seem them in bird sanctuaries and reserves etc.

Another highlight of this walk was the emergence of Red Legged Patridges, a bird I haven't seen in years and incidentally, the last one I saw was on the way to Boat of Garten. These birds are very rare and shy so it was really a delight. Other notable highlights include Black Grouse, Snipe, Wigeon, Kestrel, Buzzard and a Dipper.

We have one more fully day tomorrow. The plan was do some the Caingorm mountain walk but conditions look ominous (very windy and foggy at times) If anyone has a good birding walk near the Aviemore area they'd like to recommend, please let me know. It would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back