• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avimo or Rollei 7x42? (1 Viewer)

Foss

United States
How do I tell which I have? The set has a distance scale if that means anything. Can't find brand name or serial number.
Thanks in advance,
Foss

Attachments

• IMG_3986sm.JPG
    IMG_3986sm.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 61
How do I tell which I have? The set has a distance scale if that means anything. Can't find brand name or serial number.
Thanks in advance,
Foss

Take it to Brian Osterberg at Baker on Shelter Island. He is your best shot, locally. :cat:

Bill

Foss, post 1,
The Rollei we have also has a distance scale but it also carries a small plate on the right objective tube with the name Rollei on it. If that plate is missing it could very well be a Rollei 7x42.
Gijs van Ginkel

Attachments

• Avimo.jpg
    Avimo.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 22
  • Avimo closeup.jpg
    Avimo closeup.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Rollei.jpg
    Rollei.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Rollei closeup.jpg
    Rollei closeup.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
LPT, post 6,
I think that you are right, I can not see any difference between the Avimo and the Rollei if the ID plate is not there, they look exactly identical both the appearance and the specifications.
Gijs van Ginkel

I would weigh both to the nearest gram and see if there is a difference.

In the same location at the same time, with the same accurate weighing machine.

B.

Hi Gijs,

Also the dessicant, straps etc.

And the latitude, as the Earth's rotational speed varies with latitude, so weight varies.
Also the height, and any nearby mountains or mascons.

Joking aside, I have identified such variations by weight.

Ideally 3 random Avimos and 3 random Rolleis are needed to see if a pattern emerges.

Accurate weighing machines have to be calibrated by postcode, but if the unknown binocular is weighed next to Avimos and Rolleis then calibration isn't necessary.

Regards,
B.

Thanks everyone for the help and humor/humour. :)
I'm leaning toward Avimo b/c some of the Rolleis I see online have a Rollei strap.

The presumably original rubber armour on the Avimo and Rollei in John's posted photos certainly look identical around the plate.

On the other hand the attached picture of a more recent BelOMO manufactured item shows a difference.

Attachments

• BelOMO.jpg
    BelOMO.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back