• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Aycliffe Wetlands (1 Viewer)

colin mm

Only a small pond with viewing platforms, anymore than two or three and it would be crowded.
My friend and I decided to have a look as he is into dragon flies and was hoping to see some.
I went along hoping for birds and we both weren't disappointed.
At first it seems dead of all life, but my mate spotted a few dragons, so I was keen to spot something and unusually a bat appeared swooping on the pond for what I assume to be insect life. At two in the afternoon it was a pleasant surprise to be watching a bat giving us a show.
Just as the bat disappeared a flash of blue shot across the pond and into the trees opposite. Excitedly I tried to find it in the trees with my binos but couldn't. Then it shot across us coming out of the trees from our left this time. This happened seven times from different directions but it never landed anywhere in sight, but I was still pleased to at least have had the flashing views of a Kingfisher.
Not long after a blue tit appeared followed by what I think was a Marsh tit but I'm not sure about that.
The rain cut our visit short as it poured down all of a sudden, so we headed back to the car. But we were pleased as we both saw something as it seems more difficult to see anything lately.
I'm sure we'll be back.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread