• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aythya parentage? Northeast England. (1 Viewer)

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Another Aythya hybrid . . . looks to me like it's got quite a lot of [Greater] Scaup in it, but what else? Quite a hefty bird and broad-billed, distinctly larger than Tufty, closer to Scaup / Pochard size. Secondaries with very pure white bar; couldn't see if this extended to primaries (only extended wing slightly and briefly during preening). Northumbs., today; this bird has been around on-and-off for a while.

Attachments

• Picture 032a.jpg
    Picture 032a.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 035a.jpg
    Picture 035a.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Looks rather like this one from last year (Feb 15) near Horsham in Surrey. That one was diagnosed as a likely Tufted/Pochard hybrid, although you did say your view was Tufted x Scaup. Did look much warmer coloured in real life.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=299874

Mick

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    872.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    677.7 KB · Views: 97
Aye, somewhat similar, though that one has a pale subterminal band on the bill, and a bit more peaked head.

I'm wondering perhaps Scaup × Pochard for mine? Not sure how likely that is though.

Had comments on twitter from @BirdHybrids and @Stewchat, both think pure Scaup, 1st-w female; seems the dark marks on the bill are OK for that (per the new Reeber waterfowl book, which I don't have).

Had comments on twitter from @BirdHybrids and @Stewchat, both think pure Scaup, 1st-w female; seems the dark marks on the bill are OK for that (per the new Reeber waterfowl book, which I don't have).

i have the book but not checked, I'm sure that is correct then.

cheers, a

Agree on scaup for the first bird,

but look at the second bird (second photo) with back clearly darker than flanks the angle of the pale stripe on the bill and look at the head shape, to me that is a definite hybrid pochard x tufted

Agree on scaup for the first bird,

but look at the second bird (second photo) with back clearly darker than flanks the angle of the pale stripe on the bill and look at the head shape, to me that is a definite hybrid pochard x tufted

Thanks! Presume you mean MTem's bird by "(second photo)"?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back