• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Azure Gallinule? (1 Viewer)

I'm new here so please indulge me if I post a question about birds I identified at an earlier time.
I took this photo in the Amazon rainforest in Peru, December 2016, from an oxbow lake next to Rio Tambopata, Madre de Dios region. My guide thought it was a sandpiper, but I believe it is a rare Azure Gallinule. These are not so uncommon further south such as in Argentina I think, but only very occasionally seen in Peru and when they are seen it is in Dec-Jan in the Madre de Dios area (according to my Peruvian bird book), so that all fits.
Opinions very welcome....

Attachments

• P1000735.jpg
    P1000735.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 47
I hope your guide was cheap and/or went home without a tip 🙁
Haha, no, he was very good and got a decent tip. We were not there for birding so that was not his speciality. He did find Jaguars and giant river otters and other things we had not been able to find on an earlier visit, and that was his remit, along with much detailed knowledge of the flora. Also, he did know the birds, but I suspect this was something he hadn’t seen before 😊

Haha, no, he was very good and got a decent tip. We were not there for birding so that was not his speciality. He did find Jaguars and giant river otters and other things we had not been able to find on an earlier visit, and that was his remit, along with much detailed knowledge of the flora. Also, he did know the birds, but I suspect this was something he hadn’t seen before 😊
To put the reaction of the other posters into perspective, this bird is a very typical-looking rail species in what looks to be typical rail habitat, so mistaking it for a sandpiper is a bit of an odd mistake for an experienced naturalist, even one that isn't a birder. Maybe it can be ascribed to being a "lost in translation" type of thing.

To put the reaction of the other posters into perspective, this bird is a very typical-looking rail species in what looks to be typical rail habitat, so mistaking it for a sandpiper is a bit of an odd mistake for an experienced naturalist, even one that isn't a birder. Maybe it can be ascribed to being a "lost in translation" type of thing.
Yes, well he may have said it was a rail, not sandpiper, but it was 5 years ago and all I’m really certain of is he didn’t identify it accurately. Anyway, my curiosity is now satisfied.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back