• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Azure-winged Magpies becoming tamer (1 Viewer)

Simon Wates

In the nearly 20 years I have lived in the Algarve I have seen (Iberian) Azure-winged Magpies change from being a terribly nervous species to becomng a more confiding garden bird in suburban areas. In around 1995 they seemed to be only just starting to take advantage of humanised areas, like touristic develpoments and golf courses. Nowadays they have become fully adapted to this pseudo environment and can be seen almost everywhere. Formerly they were easier to find in more natural habitats (woodlands and scrublands) inland but now they are an abundant bird throughout the Algarve's touristic coastline.

I suppose its taken them time to adapt to the relatively recent proliferation of landscaped gardens with lawns and golf courses (post 1960's).

Anyway, the reason for this post is that today, I decided to throw some raisins down on the gravel drive for them and the Blackbirds etc. An hour later they were there - 10 or so birds. While I was watching them I noticed that one particular individual was collecting raisins and burying them a little further down the drive by picking up stones and covering them.

Thought it was worth a mention, as though obviously other crows and jays do this I'm not sure its been noted in this often very wary and difficult to get close to species.

Last edited:
In the nearly 20 years I have lived in the Algarve I have seen (Iberian) Azure-winged Magpies change from being a terribly nervous species to becomng a more confiding garden bird in suburban areas. In around 1995 they seemed to be only just starting to take advantage of humanised areas, like touristic develpoments and golf courses. Nowadays they have become fully adapted to this pseudo environment and can be seen almost everywhere. Formerly they were easier to find in more natural habitats (woodlands and scrublands) inland but now they are an abundant bird throughout the Algarve's touristic coastline.

I suppose its taken them time to adapt to the relatively recent proliferation of landscaped gardens with lawns and golf courses (post 1960's).

Anyway, the reason for this post is that today, I decided to throw some raisins down on the gravel drive for them and the Blackbirds etc. An hour later they were there - 10 or so birds. While I was watching them I noticed that one particular individual was collecting raisins and burying them a little further down the drive by picking up stones and covering them.

Thought it was worth a mention, as though obviously other crows and jays do this I'm not sure its been noted in this often very wary and difficult to get close to species.

Hi Simon,
I noticed how tame they were when I first went to the Algarve about 12-13 years ago, staying at the Oasis Village Vilamoura. Obviously people there have been feeding them before this and they have become so used to being fed they come looking for it each morning, some being bold enough to come onto the balcony and take it off the patio table if you stay indoors, often they carry some away and hide it under grass or behind the stub of palm leaves left after they've been pruned.

By the way sausage rolls seem to be their favourites :-O

Hi Simon,
I noticed how tame they were when I first went to the Algarve about 12-13 years ago, staying at the Oasis Village Vilamoura. Obviously people there have been feeding them before this and they have become so used to being fed they come looking for it each morning, some being bold enough to come onto the balcony and take it off the patio table if you stay indoors, often they carry some away and hide it under grass or behind the stub of palm leaves left after they've been pruned.

Hi John,

Sausage rolls are a rare commodity for me nowadays - nobody's eating mine - not even AWPs!

Anyway - little by little I want to get them on my balcony too in my new place ;)

I don't think of these magpies as being particularly shy - a gang here (10-15) calls loudly and spends time in the trees in our very urban development.

In early winter, here in north China, I watched out my window as the Azure Winged Magpies collected small fruit from trees (maybe an ornamental fruit tree? I'm bad at trees). I noticed that they weren't sitting and eating them as I might have expected, but seemed to pick them and fly away (out of sight). There was a lot of coming and going back and forth, so I guessed they were putting the food somewhere as I couldn't see why they wouldn't eat them on the spot, or fly to a closer place if they were just eating them.

Interesting - I wondered if they were an urban bird in your region. The species/subsp. here seems to have only adapted to built up areas in the last couple of decades - and increasingly so. There have "always" (1980's?) been a a few areas where they were coming to food; at the carpark and picnic area of El Acebuche, Coto Doñana and in the Algarve; Quinta do Lago, Vilamoura - Albufeira area. Now though, they are using built up areas throughout the Algarve.

I'm sure you are right in assuming they were stashing food - they probably do it habitually. They often remain nervous though and my observation was done through a window - I wouldn't have had a chance if I was outside - or at least this behaviour would be tricky to observe and would need luck or persistant effort.

I don't think of these magpies as being particularly shy - a gang here (10-15) calls loudly and spends time in the trees in our very urban development.

In early winter, here in north China, I watched out my window as the Azure Winged Magpies collected small fruit from trees (maybe an ornamental fruit tree? I'm bad at trees). I noticed that they weren't sitting and eating them as I might have expected, but seemed to pick them and fly away (out of sight). There was a lot of coming and going back and forth, so I guessed they were putting the food somewhere as I couldn't see why they wouldn't eat them on the spot, or fly to a closer place if they were just eating them.

Hi Simon,

John - I had also meant to say what great fun it is to watch these groups at close range - they are so full of character and real busybodies. It seems that caching is regular in Azure-winged Magpie.

Interesting question Simon.

I was amazed when these charismatic birds appeared in a large flock while my OH, and I visited El Acebuche visitor centre in Andalucian, Southern Spain in 2013.

We were told that they are shy birds. We needed to be quiet and move slowly around them. They loved the apples that we place on the wooden picinic beaches for them.
This helped for us to get a lot of photos of them in their groups. I was told that most of them are Juveniles.

These are the photos that we got.

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• 388.JPG
    388.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 389.JPG
    389.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 397.JPG
    397.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 398.JPG
    398.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Some more photos of the same birds

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• 405.JPG
    405.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 415.JPG
    415.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 43
Nice photos Kathy, charming beasts aren't they - a few adults in there too. I wonder if they realised how thoughtful of you it was to chop up the apples? ;)

Nice photos Kathy, charming beasts aren't they - a few adults in there too. I wonder if they realised how thoughtful of you it was to chop up the apples? ;)

It was not me who chopped the apples LOL .. at least it was not cream buns! ;)

The cafe at the visitors centre was all too accommodating with the fruit - a healthy diet for them

Regards
Kathy
x

That cafe can be a little paradise after a long very hot walk on that side of Doñana - buenas tapas and a little Cruzcampo beer (well they are ok/fine but taste great after seeing a nice singing Savi's or something).

The last 10 yrs or so I've lived in places with few or no AWP (coastal scrub around me or urban centre) but now I live in a place with them around me permanently - as I write there are around 20 back and forth.

That cafe can be a little paradise after a long very hot walk on that side of Doñana - buenas tapas and a little Cruzcampo beer (well they are ok/fine but taste great after seeing a nice singing Savi's or something).

The last 10 yrs or so I've lived in places with few or no AWP (coastal scrub around me or urban centre) but now I live in a place with them around me permanently - as I write there are around 20 back and forth.

Hi Simon

Sounds although this is the place that you like to visit. When did you go last?

I would love to go back sometime in the near future, and yes that 'missing' report has not been posted on BF yet LOL! ;)

They are pure entertainment as they like to follow one another about - from tree to tree and everywhere else

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I last went to Coto Doñana last early May, I used to go pretty often when I lived in Spain especially - we visited the cafe and the shop with the live video feed of the captive Iberian Lynx - they're not always on show though.

Here AWMs eat lots of different things, fruit, seeds, sausage rolls, bread, cornflakes...and lots of insects. Some worry about them predating songbird eggs and nestlings, however a study done some time ago in Portugal on AWM's diet revealed that in the breeding season they feed their own young almost entirely on insects.

I last went to Coto Doñana last early May, I used to go pretty often when I lived in Spain especially - we visited the cafe and the shop with the live video feed of the captive Iberian Lynx - they're not always on show though.

Here AWMs eat lots of different things, fruit, seeds, sausage rolls, bread, cornflakes...and lots of insects. Some worry about them predating songbird eggs and nestlings, however a study done some time ago in Portugal on AWM's diet revealed that in the breeding season they feed their own young almost entirely on insects.

Hi Simon

I thought I was asking to many questions (once I start I never stop LOL) - so changed information in my last post

I have heard of the Lynx in the area, but never saw one - and it was pointed out that we keep our eyes peeled while travelling in the van but no joy.

Do you miss Spain at all? I am sure that we passed through Donana but it was not on our trip listing as such as a stop by place!

AWM's certainly have a varied diet LOL ;). :-O

If I lived in Spain, I would try not to give AWM's human food, but stick to bird seed/fruit if I could do so (do not know if your can buy bird seed abroad as easily as in the UK)

Good to hear that AWM's are not distructive to young birds so that is saying something for the Magpie species. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Simon, the flip side of the causation: were these bird ever hunted/persecuted? If they were, that can explain their nervousness. Especially in built up areas, such persecution is likely to have diminished, leading to the change in behavior?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back