• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backlighting glare and CA (1 Viewer)

adhoc

I would appreciate it if you can reply to this by a comparison (from memory or notes) of your experiences. Which makes (makes in general if such) and models of binocular are very good or best at suppressing backlit glare and CA caused by backlighting? The conditions I am thinking of are bright sky, brighter background than the subject, low sun, reflection of sun off water, etc. As a reference in my experience of this at present I am disappointed (in my expectations) by the Zeiss Conquest 10x32 and the Victory Pocket 8x25, though the latter is better in this. Also, are there, on the other hand, other (related or unrelated) problems or disappointments in the models you list? Thank you!

Among the top tier manufacturers Leica stands out for their great glare suppression but also for their fairly poor CA correction. Bear in mind, though, that your question invites generalisation. If you are seeking information about specific models, it'll be be a good idea to specify your question. My Ultravid 8x20, for example, is virtually free of CA while my UV HD 10x32 is rather badly corrected.

I would appreciate it if you can reply to this by a comparison (from memory or notes) of your experiences. Which makes (makes in general if such) and models of binocular are very good or best at suppressing backlit glare and CA caused by backlighting? The conditions I am thinking of are bright sky, brighter background than the subject, low sun, reflection of sun off water, etc. As a reference in my experience of this at present I am disappointed (in my expectations) by the Zeiss Conquest 10x32 and the Victory Pocket 8x25, though the latter is better in this. Also, are there, on the other hand, other (related or unrelated) problems or disappointments in the models you list? Thank you!

adhoc,

First I'm not sensitive to CA and usually have to look for it in high end glass to notice. I regularly use and compare a number of different bins on the beach in the tough light conditions you mention. Best at CA control for me are Nikon EDG II 7x42 and 10x32, Kowa Genises 10.5x44, and Fuji 10x50. My MIJ Opticron 10x25 and 8x21 DBA Oasis are also good. This has occurred to me before - That my MIJ bins generally do a slightly but noticeably better job controlling CA (and glare). YMMV.

Mke

Canon 10x42L IS and Canon 18x50 IS are good regarding glare.

Leica usually good.

Several others.

However, if the light is bright enough nothing is perfect.

Also a person's eyes may provoke glare.

Regards,
B.

Thank you, all, for those helpful answers so far.

By "CA" caused by backlighting I meant a fringing seen by me which is mostly purple. Sorry if that is not chromatic aberration and hence incorrect.

Binastro, I did know it can also be caused by the eyes of some users, and I am not sure about myself in this, but the models that are better in this for most users will be better in this for such users too. Regards.

CA is present when all wavelengths (colors) of visible light are not brought to a common focus, and is inherent in the optics.
If you must nitpick, don't confuse this effect (longitudinal CA) with the lateral CA we see in binoculars.
"Chromatic aberration appears in two forms. Longitudinal chromatic aberration (above, left) is an error of focus; it occurs when different wavelengths of light from a single object point are refracted into separate focal planes at different focal lengths along the optical axis. Lateral chromatic aberration (above, right) is an error of magnification, which occurs because different wavelengths of light from an off axis object point are dispersed at different powers from opposite sides of the aperture." astronomical optics, part 4: optical aberrations

Adhoc, yes that purple/green fringe is lateral CA. And to the above generalizations I would add that the Zeiss Victory line is said to have low CA (unsure about glare), and Swaro SLC HDs seem good to me at controlling both.

Last edited:

Zeiss Victory FL:s have very low CA as well as solid glare suppression.
IMO they are even superior when those two categories (CA + glare) are considered together.

Last edited:
Thank you, all, again, for your useful responses. Sorry I was unable to revert in this for a couple of weeks till now.

In the meantime I did an internet search using the words "which binoculars best glare" with Google.

A search results item listing several threads old and new from BirdForum/Binoculars showed up near the top and looks to be the most useful.

Will be going through each thread soon. I expect there'll be a lot of useful information there.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back